Poorman's Meal

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score

Poorman's meal was a depression era recipe.

Cubed up potatoes and onions cooked in vegetable oil at 350 in a dutch oven. Cooked it in my GMG Daniel Boone.
Kept the lid off to get smoke then covered to finish the onions and potatoes. Added Bar S hot dogs sliced up and let cook with the lid off again and put the lid on to finish.
I used Boar's Night out White Lightning with Double Garlic Butter to season it. Traditionally, you would use salt and pepper.

What do you think?

I thought it was incredible. I ate 3 plates full. Seriously, try this.

Looks great to me! I usually use smoked sausage, but the hot dogs sound mighty fine!

Yeah I had sausage but it seems most folks were making it with hot dogs back then but I bet if they had sausage they would use that. Although, I doubt they had Boar's Night Out:laugh:
My son ate a bunch. My daughter just wanted hot dogs. :laugh:
We think it may have been just a few bucks to make the whole meal.
I tried pictures outside since it was light enough out. Hopefully they look much better than my usual pictures.

That looks like a dish my wife would make and no doubt it's as tasty as it looks. Nice job!

I use country sausage and margarine instead of oil. Cast iron pan covered with foil for an hour at 450F, yum.

I never heard of that recipie. Will have to try. My Mom used to make something similar but with hamburger. Loved that meal

Really looks good. Reminds me of a dish my mom used to cook when I was growing up. Hamburger, sliced potatoes and some onion fried up in a cast iron skillet. We grew our own potatoes and raised our own beef. It was very tasty. I got my wife to cook it and we have it often. Will have to try with hot dogs. We have made it with smoked sausage also. Thanks for posting.

Gonna give that a try. Normally use sausage but we bought a big pack of hot dogs from Sam's that we need to do something with. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had this all the time when I was a kid. Hot dogs and taters. It's good stuff for sure.

you lost me at the bar S dogs. never been a big fan of hot dogs, of course here in the mitten we smother them with coney chili and raw onion anyways. when I do have em its gotta be all beef franks.

I'm sure it was a killer meal on the cheap. as a kid I hated hot dogs and bologna but the adults always forced it on me while they ate the real food.

Back