MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
als_bbq
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Al
Default Mak 1 Star or 2 Star?

Hi All,

I have been lurking for quite some time on this and a few other bbq forums. I have been using a Weber Kettle and 12 year old Weber gas grill. Have been interested in doing more indirect plus slow cooking. Main challenge in recent years have been preparing the Thanksgiving turkey on the kettle - which has worked well most of the time but there have been a few challenges with it either getting too hot (drying turkey out) or not hot enough leading to emergency save with indoor oven before dinner time. After reading up a few months ago on options such as Kamado grills, I learned about pellet grills and thought that with their convenience and temperature control that one would be a great option for Turkey plus ribs, briskets etc...

As my weber gas grill is starting to get along in the years, I grew interested in pellet grills that could get hot enough to do steaks and burgers as well. Read up a lot on RecTecs, Yoders, Pitts & Spitts and Mak. Then after talking about roll-top lids, my wife informed me that she has been a bit nervous opening/closing the lid on the Weber because of the open lid handle height being a stretch for her at 5'2". The P&S and Mak were left in running because of this - and thanks to all the great reviews in this and other forums, I think we are settling on getting a Mak. (could find very little info on P&S and not sure what shipping would be like to CA from TX). I liked the temp control, easy to clean firepot, the quick igniter, the flame zone and the regular innovation by Mak.

Now the main question is whether the extra $1K for the 2 Star is worth it?

Reading through the web site it appears that there are two main differences:
1) The warmer/cold smoker box, (Not sure we will use as we are not planning to do much with nuts/cheeses) and,
2) The stainless steel lid and body vs aluminized steel. Will the former be a noticeable difference in cleanability and sturdiness?

We are also thinking about getting bigger wheels to move the grill across our lawn when not in use. Has any Mak owners looked into upgrading their wheels? If yes, any recommendations?

Finally, we are not in a rush - does Mak have any sales around Labor Day or the Winter Holidays - or only when they are switching over from this year's models to the next?
als_bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #2
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Welcome als! Rob will be along any minute...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-09-2020, 06:04 PM   #3
tom b

I have the 2* bought second hand. While I really like the SS keeping it looking perfectly clean and polished shinny is requires some work. For that I wish I had the black 1*

Old 08-09-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
Marquez
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Marquez

Welcome to the group

I am very lucky to have both the One Star and Two Star

I've been running my One Star with the Flame Zone. In my opinion, this is a key component in taking the One Star into a very viable grilling machine.

Both models as available from MAK will be terrific grilling and and smoking machines.

With that in mind, each surface has its particular approach for cleaning.

Follow the guidelines from MAK with regards to the machine you purchase and it will serve you well for years to come.

There are several very informative threads regarding degreasing and cleaning stainless on this site.

If the cold smoker box is not important to you then you would get all the benefits of the MAK cooking experience in the One Star.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:20 PM   #5
PullinPork
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chuck

I bought a 2* back in April. I paid the extra $$$ for the extra stainless, the smoker box as well as capacity.
Since I’ve never used a 1*, I may be wrong here, but I think the 1* supports 1 upper shelf, while the 2* supports 3. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. Robb would certainly be the guy, but he’s busy packing to move.
The 2* has been a joy to cook on, and I really don’t think you can go wrong with a MAK

Old 08-09-2020, 07:36 PM   #6
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Welcome als! Rob will be along any minute...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Everyone gives that guy so much $hit when it comes to Mak Pellet poopers, the guy probably passes on these threads.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
rm41400
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ry

If the choice is between 1* & 2* and you have the disposable cash and space it’s a no brainer to me. 2*.

Not because I think the 1 star won’t do most everything I need equally well and No I’ve never owned or seen the 1* in person but I think the consensus is they pretty much do the exact same thing as the 2 star except you have a few more options with the 2*.

More space- easier cleanup because of increased capacity allows drip pans etc.
I would guess the overall longevity should be a little longer too on the 2*.

I own a nice variety of cookers and smokers (see sig for most) and the Mak gets considerable use. It’s huge in convenience and is pretty much dummy proof.

Does it give me the same satisfaction of smoking a brisket on my Shirley? Nope. Do I get the same satisfaction as I do cooking a pizza or searing a steak over fiery coals in my primo? Nope. Is the food from my Mak great? Yup. Is it convenient? Yup. Surprisingly though the primo is almost as convenient overall when figuring in the ease of cleanup.

It’s really tough to say what will make YOU happy. There may be a benefit to buying a $600 Grilla silverback and using it for 6 months to see if pellets are your thing. If they are (which they’re pretty great) go big or go home and get the Mak 2.

My dilemma would be if I could only pick one or two cookers... it would be an impossible choice between the Mak 2, Shirley and Primo.
Santa Maria 42”
rm41400 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2020, 08:08 PM   #8
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Shrank graphic to reasonable size!

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 08-09-2020 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Shrank size of graphic!
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-09-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post

lol, poor guy.

He needs to change his username to Mak Man. Dunnananana
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-15-2020, 11:10 AM   #10
als_bbq
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Al

Thanks all for the feedback so far! Love the bat signal for Rwalters. Seems like he is the most knowledgeable person - eh - although I thought I saw in another stream that he is busy doing a move.

Anyone have experience changing the wheels to bigger ones?
And any insight on whether there would be deals Labor Day or during the holidays?
Thanks!
als_bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2020, 11:40 AM   #11
4ever3

If you have the money, 2 ⭐️ for sure, granted I say that because I have a 2⭐️ and have never been around a 1⭐️ so of course my opinion is jaded some what. But for the difference in price and what you get with the 2⭐️, it’s a no brainer for me.

As to the castors, I can’t answer, but I’ve had your same thoughts. I don’t really see how it can be done and keep the cooker at the same height. What I have pondered (which ALWAYS makes Mrs 4ever3 roll her eyes) is building a comp cart (similar to the Yoder) out of all stainless for Mabel. There have been times when we would like to take her with us and the castors that are on it just aren’t conducive to rolling across the yard and putting in the trailer. That may be a winter project for me...

p.s. Mrs 4ever3 is the same height as your Misses and she cooks on Mabel allll the time with no lid issues.

and to the sales? MAK doesn’t have planned sales

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote