MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
dewkster56
Found some matches.

Default Cleaning Produce?

This may sound like a dumb question to you, but believing there is no such thing as a dumb question I am going to ask anyway. I am currently filling out paper work for Health Dept. ( Mi.) and came to the question on if I would be cleaning produce on site. If yes, which sink will you use for food prep? I am going to be using a 7 x 16 Trailer equipped with 3 sinks for wash, rinse and sanatizing as well as another seperate sink for handwashing. Do I need another sink or which do I use? I am applying for STFU.
dewkster56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

No - Just simply get as large a sink colander as possible to fit in sink as use that as the produce cleaning tool.

Here is a good starting point: http://www.thefind.com/hardware/info-over-sink-colander
Old 01-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

In Iowa, the HD has told us not to place produce the hand sink. Their reasoning is that it could back up and get sewage all over your nice veggies. The colander is a good solution as is a designated tub that you can put some water in and get things separated from the hand sink.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

For the STFU you will probably need a different sink for washing and prep of produce. The HD may work something out with you but it depends a lot on the county and the inspector. You also need a mop sink although there are ways around actually having a mop sink. PM me on that.

I wrote my SOP's saying I would not use fresh produce. It would be already processed so washing is not necessary. Coleslaw in bags ready to sauce. Frozen green beans, etc. It's all in how you write the SOP's although it also depends on the inspector.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
dewkster56
Found some matches.

Thanks for the input. Filling out these forms is probably the hardest part of this business, but I would prefer to be legal to prevent hassles.
dewkster56 is offline   Reply With Quote