MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Mattlsmith
On the road to being a farker

Default Best Pellets for that Smoky Flavor

Hey All,

I use a Traeger pellet pooper smoker and have only ever used Traeger pellets. For those who have tried or use other brands what do you use and how does the smoke taste differ? I mean do you really taste the smoke better with BBQ delight or any other brand?
Mattlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I prefer BBQrs' Delight pellets. They are flavorwood blended with oak so they are a good balance of heat a smoke. The quality is exceptional as well. No 3" long pellets, very little dust.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

http://glrepellets.com/BBQPellets.html

I use the blend of maple hickory and cherry. We buy these by the pallet and like them alot.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

I use a foil packet filled with dry hickory chips on top of the burner deflector to get more smoke flavor into the meat. Cheers!!!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
joshcary
Full Fledged Farker

I'll second the BBQr's Delight pellets. The fruitwood and oak will have lighter smoke flavor, but in my opinion are excellent. Also, far less ash than I've seen from Traeger pellets.
joshcary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Mattlsmith
On the road to being a farker

Fantastic thank you all for your opinions!
Mattlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

Bear Mountain , less than $10.00 for a 33lb bag from cash n carry
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm getting great reviews from my customers on the Q Pellets.
http://qpellets.com/

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am happy with Traeger pellets, especially with free shipping with direct orders.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #10
jmoney7269
Banned

I have used every kind of pellet under the sun. I use bbqr's delight because I get such a good deal on them. As far as best smokey flavor, it's dang hard to beat cookinpellets 100% hickory. A close second is bbqr's delight mesquite but they make a little more ash
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I've been happy with BBQr's Delight and Lumberjack.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
RAYSOR
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
I have used every kind of pellet under the sun. I use bbqr's delight because I get such a good deal on them. As far as best smokey flavor, it's dang hard to beat cookinpellets 100% hickory. A close second is bbqr's delight mesquite but they make a little more ash
I agree on the cookinpellets, Aztec Rental Services on west 34th st in Houston just became a supplier for them and that is where I started picking mine up, they do not have the hickory now, but do carry the perfect mix which I think is fantastic!
RAYSOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
Yoder_lover
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have tried almost every brand on the market. I have found lumberjack to produce the results that I like best. I have found they produce the most amount of smoke in the pellet units that I use. I have a FEC120, Yoder YS640 and a Yoder YS1320. I use 100% Mesquite pellets with 100% Hickory Pellets mixed together at home and I use 100% Hickory and 100% Cherry when I am doing competitions.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
MossyMO
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Marty Owens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoder_lover View Post
I have tried almost every brand on the market. I have found lumberjack to produce the results that I like best. I have found they produce the most amount of smoke in the pellet units that I use. I have a FEC120, Yoder YS640 and a Yoder YS1320. I use 100% Mesquite pellets with 100% Hickory Pellets mixed together at home and I use 100% Hickory and 100% Cherry when I am doing competitions.
Your reply nails the answer to the original question...

Traeger pellets are not 100% of what you are purchasing. When you get Traeger hickory pellets the pellets are made of a blend of 30% hickory and 70% filler wood that is normally oak. I have had Traeger pellet users ask me, can you really tell the difference in wood flavors because I can't? and I reply the reason they can't tell the difference is because a large percentage of the pellet is oak and then explain Traeger's blend process.

BBQr's Delight is not 100% of what your purchasing either. Unless just like Traeger pellets you are purchasing oak pellets, then they are probably 100%.
MossyMO is offline   Reply With Quote