MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
BruceKWHP
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

My tan liner burned out easily.... Get building!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Old 02-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #17
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
I just did a couple of them that had the tan liner. Had been used once for hydraulic fluid. Burnt from the outside with my Harbor Freight weed burner and then pressure washed the powder off the inside and ground out the remaining.
Did mine the same way. I wouldn't want to make em this way for a living but burning out the occasional drum by this method isn't too much trouble.
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Burn it...!
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #19
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toney Marconi View Post
I wonder how many people have just left it in there?
Theres a guy local to me that is making drum smokers and is leaving the red liner in them and selling them on craigslist....
Time_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_1 View Post
Theres a guy local to me that is making drum smokers and is leaving the red liner in them and selling them on craigslist....
Yikes. No thanks. I just built one with a barrel that had the red liner in it. After reading the Mother of All UDS Threads, I decided to burn it and wire wheel it out - not going to risk the fumes as my pregnant wife and 4 year old son love the que I make. I used left over wood from the shop teacher here at school, and had a HOT long fire going, and still had to do about 8 hours of wire wheel work. Next time, I'll spend the extra 30 bucks to get a no-liner clean reconditioned drum from a company in the south 'burbs. My opinion - burn it out, and don't buy UDS from a guy who is willing to give his customers a drum with a liner in it.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #21
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

If it was a porcelain finish I wouldn't worry, but other than that I wouldn't risk it.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #22
jorrflv
Knows what a fatty is.

Sandblast!!!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #23
Yleekyoti
Full Fledged Farker

I have started burning my barrels on their side... roll it a little bit here and there.. burns off the inside and outside better. I prop the open end up on a pipe or something so the ashes dont spill out.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yleekyoti View Post
I have started burning my barrels on their side... roll it a little bit here and there.. burns off the inside and outside better. I prop the open end up on a pipe or something so the ashes dont spill out.
I do the same thing, I start it standing, then take a long pipe and tip it over onto a 6" steel pipe about 15' long, then I roll them back and forth for about and hour when one section get really hot, like glowing i squirt it with a water hose and the paint jumps off of it.... The liner wil start to come out in long thin black plastic looking strips.....
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #25
fball1208
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for all this tips, ill be starting hopefully week or so when i have some time off.
fball1208 is offline   Reply With Quote