MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
Jraiona
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Question For Humphreys Owners

I have the Humphreys Pint and run it with the BBQ Guru DX2. I’m having issues with temperature swings. I am using Weber briquettes and use about 3/4 of a chimney of lit coals to start it. Keeping the Guru vent around 1/2 open and the cookers chimney full open it comes up to temp and I close the cookers exhaust to about thr diameter of my finger. It will come up to my cooking temp of 250 and stay there for some time. But then the temp starts to drop as low a 230 according to my remote thermometer which is calibrated. Then I adjust the exhaust slightly more open and the temp will go up to 270-275. This is driving me nuts. How are you guys with a Guru starting your fires and maintains your temps?

Old 09-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #2
21234rick
Full Fledged Farker

I have a half-pint, and have never had that problem. But, I set my exhaust at about 45 degrees when I start and never touch it. Have you tried leaving the exhaust wide open ?

Old 09-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
Jraiona

No I haven’t but I was thinking of trying that. Thanks.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:25 PM   #4
cfrazier77
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Craig

Also, when you get to temp unplug the power to the digiq and restart it. It will learn a new response curve that will prevent overshoots.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2018, 05:24 AM   #5
Jraiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrazier77 View Post
Also, when you get to temp unplug the power to the digiq and restart it. It will learn a new response curve that will prevent overshoots.
Thanks. I didn’t know that.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:36 AM   #6
Decoy205
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Are you running a maze in the charcoal basket? That helps with even temps. 3/4 of a chimney seems like a lot to me. I only lite 10-12 coals.
Decoy205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 06:50 AM   #7
Jraiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoy205 View Post
Are you running a maze in the charcoal basket? That helps with even temps. 3/4 of a chimney seems like a lot to me. I only lite 10-12 coals.
No, I haven’t been using the maze. You think I should cut back on the amount of lit coals?

Old 09-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #8
Decoy205
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I think if too many are lit at once you end up with ash and might need to stoke the fire. If you light less coals and use the maze and have the fire burn toward the air source you should have very stable long burns.
Decoy205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #9
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I'd suggest you skip the Guru.
Light as you do now.
Go intake full open and exh full open for around 30 mins. Then close the exhaust to half, intake to half. See where that adjustment puts you in 30 mins. If over temp, put food on. This will drop the temp 50*+. Close intake to 1/4 if required.
Let stabilize for 1 hour. (Watch for over shoot) Adjust intake as required.
As long as you do not open the food door. The temp should stay right where you have it set. Once you open the food door, your temp will spike even if you close the intake 10 mins before opening.
I had 2 different controllers, one a Guru. They do not learn anything. It's just an algorithm. Mine would overshoot most every time. Then at the 4 or 5 hr mark start blowing full fan even 60* over set temp.
Took more time babysitting the electronic "temp" controller than just doing it yourself. PIA
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #10
wayne77
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
Light as you do now.
Go intake full open and exh full open for around 30 mins. Then close the exhaust to half, intake to half. See where that adjustment puts you in 30 mins. If over temp, put food on. This will drop the temp 50*+. Close intake to 1/4 if required.
As long as you do not open the food door. The temp should stay right where you have it set. Once you open the food door, your temp will spike even if you close the intake 10 mins before opening.
I had 2 different controllers, one a Guru. They do not learn anything. It's just an algorithm. Mine would overshoot most every time. Then at the 4 or 5 hr mark start blowing full fan even 60* over set temp.
Took more time babysitting the electronic "temp" controller than just doing it yourself. PIA
Same experience I had. Couldn’t agree more. I ditched the PID and the Humphreys stays where I want based on intake and exhaust settings. I have no problem staying at 225, 250 or 275. Just takes some time experimenting with where to keep you exhaust and intake. As a bonus it’s nice not having to deal with the various cords.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

We use a snake and light not even half of a small chimney to get it going. Keep the daisy wheel barely cracked (if you have one) and the top vent maybe a finger open once it's up to temp. We've found the sweet spot to be at 260 on the Digi Q and it hums right along. I think we have the DigiQ set on the 1/3 open setting...maybe the half.

Also, are you using a water pan? Fire bricks? Slide out pan? We went to fire bricks and made life a lot easier too.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #12
cfrazier77
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
Light as you do now.
I believe that it was BBQ guru that told me about unplugging it. They run a pid program and learn the variables of the smoker they are controlling.