Can we give up on the slow n sear argument already???

tenpenny_05

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
All of these threads and youtube videos coming out are down right cringe-worthy. They are all just saying the same thing over and over again, yes we know the slow n sear is expensive, yes we know you can do the same thing with a fire brick and a water pan, yes we know you can get longer burn time without it, yes we know all of it.
It doesn't make the slow n sear a bad product, lots of people enjoy them. So what? You certainly don't need one to smoke on a kettle, or sear a steak. But you also don't even need a grill for either of those. Have you tried cooking in a trash can?? Hell, have you tried cooking in a hole in the ground??? You don't need a grill, but it certainly helps. Similarly, you don't need a slow n sear and you shouldn't care if people decide to spend the money on one.
Conversely, the videos that come out in favor of the product are just as bad. Why do they all have to be comparisons? Can you just show us how they work? And what applications they shine in and not make a pissing competition out of it? Somebody is always going to find a better or cheaper tool.
End. Rant.

Last edited:
Agreed. I watched Meathead's diatribes against David and his products and just didn't get the point. Yes, there is more than one way to do something. I didn't buy the SnS because I couldn't sear without it. I bought it because it is a quality product that does what it says, and I like spending my money on toys for my grill.

I've never understood why folks are so adamant about their way being the only way, or criticizing others for not doing things the way they think is best. Live and let live...or....Smoke and let smoke?

Too pricy for me. I got some 14 gage stainless steel baskets on Amazon for my coals, and use disposable mini loaf pans for water.

I got the baskets so I can contain my fire, and protect the bottom of my kettle.

Is it overpriced for what it does? Probably. Does it work? You betcha!

I use mine on a regular basis - not because I couldn't do the same thing without it, but because it makes those same things just a touch more convenient. I use it for a lot of my small and quick indirect cooks (bone in chicken breasts, single pork loin, etc).

I saw the same video from Meathead (came on auto play while I was trying to keep my kid entertained and watching BBQ vids on youtube). Guy seems to have a personal vendetta against the product that's for sure. I don't know any of the back round I guess but it seemed over the top. I have one and love it. I know there's ways to accomplish what it does cheaper and who knows, maybe even better. But it's a solid product and I get good results using it. To each their own I suppose. I'm going to cook some ribs with it this weekend.

I have one for my 22 but couldn’t spend the money to repeat the same set up in my 26. I watched meat heads videos and aside from him being angry about the claims I actually like the videos. I thought it was pretty funny to see him put his hand on the “cold grate” but again it makes sense that the grate is cold only once. I think if it was marketed as convenient and makes smoking easier instead of revolutionary then most people wouldn’t have as much of a reaction to it one way or another.

For steaks, I am almost always am cooking for just two. I use my Votex to sear. Seems to do the job for us.

Agreed. I watched Meathead's diatribes against David and his products and just didn't get the point. Yes, there is more than one way to do something. I didn't buy the SnS because I couldn't sear without it. I bought it because it is a quality product that does what it says, and I like spending my money on toys for my grill.

I've never understood why folks are so adamant about their way being the only way, or criticizing others for not doing things the way they think is best. Live and let live...or....Smoke and let smoke?

From the article below it looks like Meathead Goldwyn is a big fan of the slow and sear. Has he changed his mind?

Attachments

• slow.jpg
    slow.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 566
You made me look for Meathead's video. Is this the one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rw1j2saxAo

He warned you at the beginning that it was going to piss SnS fans off, so why did you watch it? I only made it about 5 minutes in.

Its not that he pissed me off. It just that the way he goes about it is super annoying. I was actually looking forward to how he was using two weber charcoal baskets, but I couldn't handle his hype man mentality.

I've never been able to figure out why you need anything besides the kettle to cook a steak, anyway. It's such a short cook.

Its not that he pissed me off. It just that the way he goes about it is super annoying. I was actually looking forward to how he was using two weber charcoal baskets, but I couldn't handle his hype man mentality.

Just watched a few minutes of that Meathead. Agree that he is annoying.

Click bait. Annoying click bait at that.

This!

He's trying to make a name (a name he stole btw:becky:) for himself by bashing a guy that is making decent money off his products. He's gaining a lot of subscription off negative press. That's all.

SnS is a farking great product. Expensive but great. You can do without it sure but that won't be me obviously.

Now the cold grate technique I'm not buying. I can to kickarse steak without jumping through all the hoops.

Back