Char-griller offset problems

TNH2OSKIER

Reaction score
I am having a really hard time getting my Chargriller offset up to temp on windy days..I have to move the whole cooker around depending on how the wind is blowing :evil:.. anyone else have this trouble? Also, I don't know how dependable the thermometer on the lid is..Thanks for any input..You guys have been great. We have been lurking around this site for a while and it is a fantastic resource for those of us new to smoking.

Yeah it says 150 right now, but it's been burning for 2 hrs..I don't enjoy fighting with this moody smoker.. No more offsets for me.

Get a WSM and be happy!

wsm_1.jpg

Yeah it says 150 right now, but it's been burning for 2 hrs..I don't enjoy fighting with this moody smoker.. No more offsets for me.

A few mods and you can have it chugging along nicely. They are nice cookers, just need a lot of tending.

i still play with my Char-griller some, but mainly as a grill since I made a UDS. The lid thermo is junk. I would replace it, or just use an oven thermo on the grates. I never had too much problem getting to temp in the wind, so i am guessing you are probably running hotter than your reading. You can put out good bbq with that rig - it just takes a lot of baby-sitting, and is a hungry little monster. I highly recommend looking into a UDS.

I agree with everyone on the factory thermo. It is junk. Mine would burn for a couple of hours and never get over about 150. First thing is first. Buy a new thermo and mount it close to the grate.

cid__1227091236.jpg

Then what helped me out is the tuner plates and the chimney extention

cid__1227091236a.jpg

Then last but not least is a fire box in your fire box. Now I can get even temps with in 10 degrees or so

cid__1227091236b.jpg

Hope this all helps. My buddy Scott at BigrangeBBQ hooked me up with these tips.

the cg can be tempermental but a good one when tamed. to much for me to type so grab a cup of coffee or a beer or two and sit and read this
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1467

This is great link.... I get 4 to 6 hours out of my CG and belive it or not some of the longer cooks have been when its cold.... wind can be a pain but getting it out of direct wind will expand your cook time....

I have my stickburner placed about 3 feet from my house. The house is a great wind block. Place your firebox intake vents facing towards the house and you shouldn't have anymore issues with the wind. As for your thermo, you should always test it against another one you know to be accurate placed inside the cooker at the cooking grate level. My old BSKD thermo read 75 degrees lower than the actual temp.

DSC02166.jpg

DSC02177.jpg

DSC02340.jpg

Last edited:

I had one and had the same problems. I sold mine on craigslist for $75 and then built myself a drum smoker. Couldn't be happier now. The drum smokers are so much easier to control. I think you should make the switch.

Patrick

I had one and had the same problems. I sold mine on craigslist for $75 and then built myself a drum smoker. Couldn't be happier now. The drum smokers are so much easier to control. I think you should make the switch.

Patrick
What he said! And in addition, cheaper to run. It was not unusual for me to go through 18 lbs. of charcoal when doing a brisket or other long cook. The drum will finish the job on less than half of that, with charcoal, and therefore time, to spare.

I've got the char griller in windy Kansas and its a royal PITA, fuel hog, and has to be baby sat the entire cook. Even with the mods (chimney, tuning plates (I drilled holes in the charcoal tray and flipped mine) and new charcoal grate) it can still be a nightmare to maintain any temp.

If you're set on using it, even short term, go to Harbor Freight and find the highest rated welding blanket you can find. Double this up and put it over the main body, keeping it off the firebox and a few inches above it (it will smolder if it gets too hot, trust me). If you're looking for a cheap alternative, look at a drum smoker. For me, I'm picking up my new gravity smoker tomorrow and plan on breaking it in on Tuesday in single digit weather. Can't wait. (and I'll eventually buy a high end offset someday, but have a feeling I'll be on gravity smokers awhile)

Do the mods, use a sheet of ply-wood as wind break. I will lay a pair or two of old blue jeans on it sometimes, yes they will turn brown/might burn. On long cooks over 2 hrs after the charcoal burned I rely on wood to keep the heat up. You will burn paint off the fire box, and there no paint I can find to hold up.

Thanks for all the responses folks! I like the smoker, it just ticked me off yesterday. Turns out it was burning hotter than the lid thermo said..I got a Maverick remote thermo from the MIL for christmas and that took some of the stress away from worrying about the fire..But I will definatley do the mods and maybe build a UDS, heck, just to save fuel.. Hondad is right, this IS a hungary little monster!

Do you have a baffle between the fire box and the smoke chamber?

even doing mods, you will fight that little offset to no end and will be tending fires quite often...I had one a long time ago, and my que and my patience got much better when I moved to different cookers (WSM, UDS...I dont have one, but they work pretty good...larger and heavier offset, insulated smoker, etc).

With an offset the more you pay the more you get. mine struggles when the temps get really low. I bought a welders blanket to throw over it when it's cold to keep the wind out and insulate some.

I fought a new CG Duo for 5 months before building a UDS. The CG had me to the point of not enjoying my new-found hobby. Way too much babysitting to be enjoyable, not to mention the cost of the fuel it was going through. I did all the mods, and tried a few new ones on my own. Great experience in fire control, and I still think the best PP I've done came of the CG. It was just too much work for a lazyass like me.

Play with the CG for awhile for the experience, then build yourself a UDS and play with it. If you don't want to wallow through the UDS thread here, just Google it and you'll find more manageable threads out there on different forums.

RE: chargriller offset

I bought the SuperPro last May and like it a lot! I should add that I did not get the SFB since after reading threads on it on this forum and others, I realized that it would require a lot of babysitting and use up a lot of fuel too.

I use mine as a grill and I did do a couple mods that have been discussed on this thread. Installing a new thermometer at grate level (agree with everyone 100% that the factory thermometers are a real POS), and I extended the smokestack down to grate level using 3" aluminum dryer duct.

These two mods have made a big difference and it performs much better than it did before. :-D

The high fuel consumption has a lot to do with the clamshell design which isn't real airtight. I'm planning on installing wood stove gasket material around the front and sides of the lid later this spring when the weather is warmer, and that should help cut down on the fuel usage.

As for a smoker, I bought a Perfect Flame 36" propane smoker and that has been working out real well. Been getting very good results and it's very fuel efficient. :lol:

Hope this helps,

Back