MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
goofy8811
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default BBQ Timeline

Heys guys I'm new to competition BBQ so I was looking for a little advice. I've entered a small competition next weekened and wanted to post my timeline on here to see what everyone thought. It is a charity event so its not santionced but theres 30 teams and I'm looking forward to seeing how I do and learning more along the way.
Attached Files
File Type: doc bbq-timeline.doc (38.0 KB, 196 views)
goofy8811 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
afreemaniii
Full Fledged Farker

I'd say it looks like you are more organized than we were for our first competition. Good for you on that front. The only part that looks a little off to me may be the pork timing. Putting pork on a 225 degree smoker at 23:00, I wouldn't expect it to be at 165 by 07:30. You're experience may vary, but I would expect it to be at that temp closer to 10:00 on my smoker. Again, that varies by size of the cut of meat and smoker. If you've done a test cook using that timeline and it worked, then you should be all set.

Gear:
1-BWS Party
1-22.5" WSM
Guru Pitminder and Stoker system
afreemaniii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Few variables also to think of is on ribs. You must have multiple cookers and be cooking Loin Backs cause only 4 hrs at 225. If you only have 1 cooker, With all those meats on 1, the door will be open quite often.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
HarleyGirl14226
Full Fledged Farker

We use a detailed schedule for our comps too... It's the only way to make sure you remember everything you need to as a new cook. Hopefully you've tested all three meats on the smoker already? We found that we had to do that at least once before our first comp. to make sure our times were reasonable...

Good luck!

[I]KCBS / NEBS / CBJ[/I]
[I][I]MAK 2 Star General / [/I][/I][I]Yoder YS640[/I]
[I]2 - WSM's 22 1/2 / [/I][I]3 - Weber kettle's[/I]
[I]Backwoods Fatboy[/I]
[I][COLOR=magenta]PINK[/COLOR] Thermapen[/I]
HarleyGirl14226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I would put the ribs on earlier. Like some of the other posters said, try everything together. When the door is getting opened a lot for glazing, removing meat, etc. it slows everything down.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
goofy8811
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks for all the good advice ... were having a practice run with the timeline this weekend so I'll let everyone know how it goes. I think I'll make a few adjustments before then as wel
goofy8811 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy8811 View Post
Thanks for all the good advice ... were having a practice run with the timeline this weekend so I'll let everyone know how it goes. I think I'll make a few adjustments before then as wel
Definitely do a practice run. I know it's inconvenient and expensive but you'll learn a ton about your cooker's efficiency and how much little things like opening the door, temp swings and hot spots affect cooking times...

I can't imagine how you can come up with these times without having your meat trimmed out and weighed. I use a ratio to make things easy. Once I trim out, I log the final weight and use 1.3 - 1.5 hours per lb depending on the type of meat (pork or brisket), how full my cooker is and where the meat is located. Make sure to keep a good record of your times and use them for future planning.

Good Luck and keep us posted - make sure to take some pics
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #8
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with what others have said about the ribs. Even if you have a cooker solely dedicated to ribs, 4 hrs at 225 may be tough for even BB's. We cook at a higher temp and cook spares and it takes us closer to 5.5-6 hrs.

Practice will help you define your timeline. Best of luck and please let us know how you do.