MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #16
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
The tag (obviously brisket faq - frequently asked questions) looks like something else. I did not put that there
That was me, in anther forum I frequent they have sections for frequently asked questions (faq's).

Pitmaster T thanks for taking the time to do this, it is an awesome thread.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #17
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

PitmasterT do you only use whole packers or flats also?

Old 07-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #18
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I prefer packers to the point that I will not do flats. Price is cheaper as a packer. I do understand that many places do not have that option but I have a solution. You local Walmart Supercenter should be able to order packers for you with no problem. You just have to be persistent. And yes, I am full aware they usually only have select brisket.

Edict.

Certified KCBS Judge

Sauna girl, oh Sauna Girl, where once there was a world, for one breathe shining moment who was known as................... Sauna Girl
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #19
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
I prefer packers to the point that I will not do flats. Price is cheaper as a packer. I do understand that many places do not have that option but I have a solution. You local Walmart Supercenter should be able to order packers for you with no problem. You just have to be persistent. And yes, I am full aware they usually only have select brisket.
Local store has whole briskets on sale for $1.98lb might have to get one, I figured you'd want a bigger brisket with more fat. Thanks

Old 07-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #20
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBBQ View Post
Local store has whole briskets on sale for $1.98lb might have to get one, I figured you'd want a bigger brisket with more fat. Thanks
I just can't seem to do a promotion these days around brisket at that price. I do Charity and seemed to have blocked myself in a corner by offering huge quantities on butcher paper and not much else. This was called "The Big Chop. It took me a while to get them (the people who love food here in my town and support my charity) to accept the "Lockhart" no frills way I do a BBQ after years of them being accustomed to the "Styrofoam platter filled with cheap rool and sauce saturated chopped beef and uninspiring sides."

Now I can't seem to back away from it. You will note in 2009 I was getting choice for 88 cents a pound... I bought close to 600 pounds for the entire season.

But then I saw Bigmista's way in Galveston and saw the profit in it. I am used to making profit in my retail ventures but in an effort to change the discussion in my town I settled on huge portions of real meat. I loved how Bigmista did the two meat/one meat/full brisket thing. I like it because I can always goof around with the "other meat." Sausage, Chicken, ribs.... all meats that accompany brisket well. So anyway that's rolling around in my brain and I have some time to think about it because the Church is being rebuilt.

I like cooking with fat yes.

Edict.

Certified KCBS Judge

Sauna girl, oh Sauna Girl, where once there was a world, for one breathe shining moment who was known as................... Sauna Girl

Old 07-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #21
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Man, that list puts the "B" in brisket!!!

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #22
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Costco here in Richmond, VA had brisket at $5/LB last I looked. Ugly bidness....

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #23
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevZiLLa View Post
Costco here in Richmond, VA had brisket at $5/LB last I looked. Ugly bidness....

And 1.99 has been making me say no to fundraisers using this meat.... Heck, I have been passing off pork butt (albeit heavily modified with one of my secrets) as bbq here. Let me clarify that... when you say BBQ here in Texas people ASSUME its beef... lately, in the last I guess 20 years in my town people just shred for charities... probably to get more yield...

So I make the Carolina Sandwich (which essentially is chopped only with the bone to a VERY course chunky mass) and people come up to me and say "thats the best Beef BBQ Sandwich I ever had. Pulled Pork is more foreign than Cuban Pork here... they don't even KNOW its pork... well... when I mix beef stock powder in the rub and add balsamic to the final mix.

Edict.

Certified KCBS Judge

Old 08-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #24
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

That's so true, a lot of people in TX, at least way down here don't even know what pulled pork is...

Kinda funny that you've been adding beef stock to your pork to make em think it's beef. Never would of thought to do that...
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #25
northern smokey
Knows what a fatty is.

good work excellent thread
northern smokey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #26
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
That's so true, a lot of people in TX, at least way down here don't even know what pulled pork is...

Kinda funny that you've been adding beef stock to your pork to make em think it's beef. Never would of thought to do that...
Let me clarify again... I am not telling them its beef really... It is sort of advertised as a "barbecue" lol and I simply don't specify what meat the sandwich is unless they specifically ask... if they assume its beef, lol...

i add beef stock (powder) to the rub.

Edict.

Certified KCBS Judge

Old 09-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #27
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

It's funny because around here, if someone says "let's go get BBQ" it is always referring to pulled pork, never beef.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal, Deep South Smokers, and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #28
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I have now passed off my modified pulled pork unknowingly to 5 GROUPS OF EATERS who never once suspected it was pork. They were all (about 340) impressed. Pork is so foreign here when I say bbq sandwiches they just assume it was incredibly stellar chopped beef. LOL

Brisket is sky high thats why.

Edict.

Certified KCBS Judge

Old 09-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #29
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Where have you been, Donnie? Nice to see ya

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #30
sohappe
Got Wood.

Thanks for all the info, I will now be up reading for a while!
sohappe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Brisket faQ's, brisket help thread