Friendly rib comp between me and my 8 yr old twins.

Garrett

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This will be a little long, but I will try my best with all the pron I have to share. Basicly old school vs new school, kinda! My daughter wanted ribs this weekend so we decided since mama would be gone tonight, we would have some fun. Got two racks of spares and cut one in half so the kids could cook some on their cooker of choice. All were rubbed with 3 Little Pigs Kansas rub. Then from there things were different. I let each both of them choose what smoke wood, sauce, cooker, and how and if they wanted to wrap. I'll start with Reagan her ribs.

She decide to go with her Hello Kitty mini UDS with cherry wood. No therms, no nothing!

2 hrs in to her cook. Looking pretty I think.

She also helped prep some wings for a snack.

She wrapped with a spread of butter and brown sugar.

Her finished product got glazed Sweet Baby's Rays. That's her favorite sauce.

I tried to get her to take bite from the side, but she told me she likes to bite it on the top!!

Now for my son Ridge. He decided to cook his on the 18.5 kettle with cherry wood also.

About 2 hrs in to his cook.

He also helped with the wing prep.

He chose to wrap his ribs with the usual comp wrap but he added some sauce.

His final product.

I would been proud to turn either of their ribs at comp or serve them to anybody!!!
Now for my try at this rib thing. I cooked mine on my pellet grill with hickory pellets. This is where old school meets new school! I'm old school cooking on new school equipment, and they are new school cooking with old school equipment.

Apparently I didn't down load my pics of my cook, only the finish.

Nevermind the big white smudge on shirt, I was painting some cabinet doors and got in fight with the paint can!
We decided to take our offerings to the neighbors house for a fair blind judge.

The neighbor's said that they Reagan's better. She was so excited she didn't know what to do. I myself would have proud to offer anyone any of the ribs that we cooked. I enjoyed so much getting to spend the day with my kids and them wanting cook!

They all look great! My kids are mildly interested in my bbq hobby, but don't want to put the time in. It's really awesome that the kids enjoy the process. Congrats.

Thanks everyone!! I try to spend every moment I can with my kids! My job is very demanding at times and I'm not home hardly at all when that happens, so when I'm home I'm with the kids either hunting, fishing, or cooking or at ball field. It was great to be able to just stay home and enjoy some us time!

Garrett, you've got some great competition teammates cooking with you there! Reagan, the color on your ribs is more than fantastic, and Ridge the bite thru on your bones is absolutely perfect; that's not easy to get either! Both of you really cranked out ribs that are better than most restaurants serve, and could win in some BBQ competitions! I'm 39, and they look better than ribs that I used to make when I was 30! Garrett, I don't need to tell you, but I'll say it anyways; you're a great dad, pitmaster, and teacher. Kudos to you all!

Awesome!

That is what makes having children so special, thank you for sharing the day with us.

It is great to see you cooking as a family. Put a smile on me. My boys are high school and college so if I can get them to join a cook its a bonus. They do some baking so I am hopeful time will get them grilling and bbqing too.

That's the best loss you will ever take. Nothing better than a day with the kids.

You are a good dad.
No, you're a really good dad.
So cool that they wanted to cook with you, and to compete against you while they're at it!
And y'all nailed those ribs. Great color, great bite, nice smoke rings.
Post of the day fo' sho'.

That's awesome! I would have to give the nudge to your girl too. The Hello Kitty mini and the top bite, bite shot sealed it for me! Lol

Great post! :thumb:

I would be honored to eat any and all of those ribs... Great cook(s) and a great job with the post... Looks like you all had a great time making great eats.

Back