MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

Question Special prize for DAL... insult or incentive?

How would you as a competition team view a special prize for coming in last? Say, perhaps paying the tuition for a Competition BBQ cooking class, or some such? I realize that not all teams that come in DAL are rookie teams, but a lot of them seem to be struggling and I was wondering if something that could help them get a handle on things would be appreciated.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
JayAre
Full Fledged Farker

Interesting concept...except. Im not sure how I would feel If i was in the top 10 of a comp and only receive a couple hundred bucks and the DAL gets $500-750 worth of comp classes.. ok maybe I do know how I would feel, pretty ticked! Maybe a small DAL ribbon but not anything of value.. just my o2

Old 09-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

What would stop a team from turning in 1 piece of chicken, 1 rib, 1 slice of pork and 1 slice of brisket at a (let's say) $300 contest? They'd then ride off into the sunset with a (let's say) $500 class. That's a pretty good ROI in the BBQ world.

Or another scenario. Team A turns in chicken, then turns in ribs. Team A then gets to meet the contest rep for the first time for turning in an uncut slab of ribs. Knowing they have an almost guaranteed DAL rib score, they turn their attention to tanking the other two meats in order to "win" the class.

I see where you are going, but assigning a prize with significant cash value to a last place team will most likely not go over well.....IMHO.

I agree with a small ribbon or something similar.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

As a rookie/hobby cook I strive to finish above the DAL. Bringing attention to a DAL if I am involved, and don't know about the "award" before paying and cooking? That will earn a kick to the war bag.

And not figuratively either.
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I wish contests wouldn't do this. I feel embarassed for the team.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Just pick a place and give a unique trophy or something to that place in the overall. Anything else is going to annoy someone. Though I really can't imagine me dragging all my stuff out to a contest and tanking on purpose to get a class entry. I could stay and home, buy the class entry, and probably come out ahead. $500 doesnt get me to a contest anymore.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

thumbs down
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I think rewarding a team for coming in last is infantile and insulting. It is not the job of the contest to try to teach the teams how to cook especially when there are teams who spent a lot of time and money teaching themselves how to cook.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Let's face it, any one of us could end up DAL for whatever reason. I'd hate to see one of us get a cookbook or something because we happened to trip and spill our box (or whatever reason) and end up being the butt of the organizer's joke that one of us can't cook BBQ !
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

If you give it discretely I don't see an issue with it. I agree, announcing it may not be the best way to go about that.

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
Smokedelic
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
Let's face it, any one of us could end up DAL for whatever reason. I'd hate to see one of us get a cookbook or something because we happened to trip and spill our box (or whatever reason) and end up being the butt of the organizer's joke that one of us can't cook BBQ !
True dat, got DAL in Columbia 2 weeks ago by missing rib turn in by 2 seconds.

I was already pissed at myself and would have felt pretty bad for the organizer that poured a little gasoline on my fire by giving me a DAL award.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

I've seen it done several times and it has always made me feel uncomfortable.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
Brewmaster
is One Chatty Farker

I have seen it done at a contest for last place in chicken. They called it "Choke You Chicken" award.

I was embarrassed for the guy till I found out he won more than I did and I got first in brisket and 3rd overall.

He won a free entry into next years contest.

They way I look at it is...It's not a secret, everybody knows who gets last place already. If it's me I'd take the money and run
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

At a backyard event I went to earlier this season as a warm for my rookie year they had a tradition of handing out a DAL award. In theory it was a fun bunch of guys who were all friends and it was supposed to be a good natured gesture. Unfortunately it kind of backfired this year, IMO, as the DAL team was a father/son team where the dad let the kid (about 13) do the lionshare of the work. They had some issues with their cooker and things went wrong. The heartbreak on the kid's face when they got called up for DAL was so sad.

Maybe a better solution would be to have a drawing for all teams that finished in the bottom half of the field. I am sure any of those teams would appreciate it, they wouldn't be called out for DAL and the odds would make it so no one could intentionally go for it.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
JayAre
Full Fledged Farker

we just had the Air Force Marathon here at Wright Patterson AFB. For the 5k race, they gave a "tail end charlie" award, DAL. they didnt do it at the awards ceremony, it was done at when they crossed the line. very discretely. might be apples to oranges a little bit as running anything more than a block is an accomplishment in my book. I still think it would be embarassing. its bad enough that its published on the scores sheets