AFTER you've made the bacon...

jalon

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok...so I did do a search down below, didn't really find what I was looking for (figured I'd get the disclaimer out of the way...)

Whether you cold smoke or hot smoke, how are you saving it for later? Say you do 10 lbs worth...and don't eat it right away (I know, right), how are you wrapping it, when are you slicing it, sealing it, etc.

What I'm thinking is after smoking is done, is to chill it right away, slice it 3/16" thick, then vacuum seal into 1 lb servings. Do a lot of them, store them up in the freezer for a bit.

Have a Blessed day!!

I slice it an vac u seal in it one pound packages, that of course never last long enough. They freeze really well.

Attachments

• IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 179
Just wrapped some for storage a few minutes ago. I was going to vac pack it but decided I don't have enough vac bag to do that, so I doubled wrapped each section with plastic wrap and put them into individual bags, which except for what was sliced for the kitchen fridge and put the rest unsliced into the freezer. I did let it cool before putting in fridge, then let it air dry for the last two days with some wax paper laid loosely on top just to keep anything from falling on top of the meat.
Dave

I also make 10lb batches and FoodSaver / freeze for a later date. Just toss in warm water to defrost and Barb is you auntie!

The loins I get are ~3-4kgs and I get somewhere in the region of 80 slices plus a couple of 'end' steaks once cured and cold smoked.

Once cured and cold smoked I slice then vac. pack in eight slices packs (this is enough for a bacon butty for the Mrs and I) I then freeze them and take a pack or packs out of the freezer as needed.

Back