Rare & Med-Rare Un-Appreciation thread

Most all my Latin friends and family members like their meat charred and destroyed while most of my White and Asian friends and family members like their's no more cooked than medium.
It's mostly a cultural thing if you look at the big picture.

I like them med rare and I tell whomever (usually family members) like their meat well done to take their portions and cook them further in the microwave for a few minutes.
If I'm dealing with a large group in my home I will cater to their requests.

I'm not gonna put a "name" on my desired doneness for beef.
Too many interpretations out there.

I like it just beyond the bloody and bright red stage.
Basically, pink for me.

TIM

Just because someone like their steaks rare or well done doesn't make them an expert , it all an individual taste I'm not expert, but I would never cook a good steak over some of those charcoal briquet ,now that would be abuse to steak ,in my opinion.

Oh man, rare or medium depending on the cut for me.

We get grass fed beef steaks a lot, cook those over medium and it is inedible, no matter what you like. Same with venison, it has to be rare.

I like a prime rib well, if it is an end cut of a whole roasted prime rib.

I prefer chasing animals and taking bites from them as they try to run away from me.

You mean this might be a little under done for you? :heh:

5922461998_b900281abc_z.jpg

Yeah, that ain't happening. :sick:

At the risk of further facing the wrath of the Brethren, I have to admit that I am just not a fan of rare beef either, for one simple reason: I don't like a cool center.
It's not the color, blood, taste, texture, it's just that I'm put off by having a nice crusty, warm exterior and then having something cool hit my palate. It throws me off, and I find that I just don't enjoy the meal as much.

It's weird because I don't mind rare Ahi tuna, which has the same crusty exterior but cool interior, but for some reason it just doesn't work for me with beef.

I cook my tri-tips and steaks to 135 or so, which after a rest will give me a warm pink. Sorry, but that's how I like it.

At the risk of further facing the wrath of the Brethren, I have to admit that I am just not a fan of rare beef either, for one simple reason: I don't like a cool center.
It's not the color, blood, taste, texture, it's just that I'm put off by having a nice crusty, warm exterior and then having something cool hit my palate. It throws me off, and I find that I just don't enjoy the meal as much.

It's weird because I don't mind rare Ahi tuna, which has the same crusty exterior but cool interior, but for some reason it just doesn't work for me with beef.

I cook my tri-tips and steaks to 135 or so, which after a rest will give me a warm pink. Sorry, but that's how I like it.

Hard to argue with a warm center...I agree.

My last steak..

DSCN7278.jpg

Anyone can call the doneness what they want. I called it perfectly tastey.

i refuse to cook steak for my parents over medium. i take it to medium they have to tend it the rest of the way. my mom now eats at medium. my dad is getting there. they used to be well done.

For me I like medium well. If I'm having family and friends over for steaks, I'll cook their steaks how they want them. I have no problem cooking and serving a rare or medium rare steak. To each his/her own, it's a matter of personal taste. If that person eats their meat regardless of how it was cooked, then it was money well spent IMHO.

When I order a steak I ask for medium. A few degrees and a slight color change isnt gonna make a dry steak.

When I order a burger its medium well. I don't play around with ground beef. Alot of burger joints won't even give the option anymore for liability reasons.

As a side note it's funny how supermarket print ads always feature sliced beef in med to med rare. I personally find that appealing to look at. :)))

If you are at a cookout in this part of Austin TEXAS and ask for medium-well or well, we would surely try to oblige ya...
But you might just wind up being served one of these with a little sauce on it. Not like ya gonna notice a taste difference.:razz:

shackleton_boot_400CornwallSPRI.jpg

cutcaster-photo-100095819-Old-Leather-Boot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Stated perfectly! The Filet I posted above was concerning when I first cut in to it but it had a warm center and it was below freezing outside so it wasn't going back on the grill. Lol

Rare for me please, especially when you are paying top dollar for a prime cut of meat. The prime cuts have a lower fat content, thus when you cook them, they dry out faster. Flavour is in the juices of the meat, not in the protein itself. You lose that when you go for well done, or even medium. If you have to have a well done steak, you may as well steer clear of the prime cuts and stick to pulled chucky etc, otherwise you're just wasting your money.

Cheers!

Bill

I can't believe that some of you would refuse to cook meat to a guest specifications.

If I were your guest and you told me medium or medium rare only, I would put you in the same boat with the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld. If you didn't argue with me but just served up a bloody piece of meat, I would think your a poor cook.

Back