MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #12616
Dropsix
Found some matches.

Hi All, just in the process of doing my first UDS. Currently stuck trying to figure out the lid.

I want to use my Weber lid for the extra room it'll give me. I kinda feel like going 8" down is getting kinda close to the charcoal basket if you are using the regular drum lid. Does anyone know for sure if you get better results using a kettle lid vs the drum lid?

As it stands, my kettle lid doesn't fit on my drum so it's going to have be one or the other. At first I was hoping to be able to use both.
Dropsix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #12617
Wahoo95
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropsix View Post
Hi All, just in the process of doing my first UDS. Currently stuck trying to figure out the lid.

I want to use my Weber lid for the extra room it'll give me. I kinda feel like going 8" down is getting kinda close to the charcoal basket if you are using the regular drum lid. Does anyone know for sure if you get better results using a kettle lid vs the drum lid?

As it stands, my kettle lid doesn't fit on my drum so it's going to have be one or the other. At first I was hoping to be able to use both.
If you're gonna set it up to use the Weber Lid keep the lower grate and add another just below the top of the drum. That'll give you two cooking levels when using the kettle lid as well as allow you to use the lower level only when using the flat lid. I have 2 grates which allows me to cook 6-8 butts at a time with the kettle lid.
Wahoo95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2016, 09:41 AM   #12618
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #12619
Dropsix
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo95 View Post
If you're gonna set it up to use the Weber Lid keep the lower grate and add another just below the top of the drum. That'll give you two cooking levels when using the kettle lid as well as allow you to use the lower level only when using the flat lid. I have 2 grates which allows me to cook 6-8 butts at a time with the kettle lid.
Yeah that would work awesome if I could use both the drum lid or the kettle lid.

However, in my OP, I mentioned it would have to be one or the other. If I modify my drum to use the kettle lid, then the drum lid will no longer fit on it.

That's why I am asking kettle vs drum lid, which gives the better results. I don't want the meat to be too close to the charcoal basket. I guess I could use a diffuser.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #12620
ncfj40
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default My UDS

I've read the first 500 pages of this awesome thread.
Thanks to the "If a redneck wanted to build..." thread and other ideas in this monster thread, I built my first UDS. Obviously I got a little carried away.
All thats left is some wood on the shelf brackets and a bottle opener.

The basket was made by rolling the expanded metal around a propane tank and and welded to a 16" pizza pan. The bottom is a charcoal grate from an smaller kettle.

The wheels, one of the grates, and the lid, all came from a new 22.5" kettle I purchased from Craigslist. I welded top 2" off the bottom of the kettle to the drum for the lid to mate to. I have two grates sitting on three stainless bolts just below the lid and 6" down.

The handle and the hinge where both made from scratch. The Hinge doubles as a handle to lean the drum back on the wheels and move it around.

I used High Temp grommets from Grainger to run the probes from a Maverick ET-73 to the inside. It didn't look like a UDS without the analog temp gauge on the front so I added that just for looks and a back up reference point.

My son gets credit for the awesome paint job.

The first two cooks, ( a Fatty then a Picnic ) turned out good, but the Wife wasn't fond of the taste.

For the third cook I did some ribs but switched from Kingsford briquettes to Royal Oak Lump. Although I had a little more trouble holding a steady temp with the Lump, she liked the taste a lot better. The ribs were about 6 hours with just a few spritzes with apple juice and I did not foil. I think they turned out pretty good.

I may experiment with a diffuser to see how that affects the taste.

My wife thinks its hilarious as I have never cooked more than frozen pizza until now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charcoal Basket.jpg (50.7 KB, 802 views)
File Type: jpg UDS 1.jpg (111.3 KB, 803 views)
File Type: jpg UDS 2.jpg (72.5 KB, 798 views)
File Type: jpg Handle 2.jpg (52.9 KB, 802 views)
File Type: jpg Closed Hinge 2.jpg (41.5 KB, 800 views)
File Type: jpg Open Hinge.jpg (50.3 KB, 799 views)
File Type: jpg Ribs.jpg (44.4 KB, 802 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0763.jpg (132.8 KB, 806 views)
ncfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2016, 09:45 PM   #12621
Dropsix
Found some matches.

Posted my own thread but why not post here too?

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #12622
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default **Hunsaker Smokers Clone #2** #Insane Clone Posse

Newest addition to the Left Hand Smoke arsenal!

Hot 'n Fast baby!!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #12623
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #12624
flyinpig14
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
Wow, this is like the mother of all UDS'S! Well done. Makes mine look like a little wimpy kid!
flyinpig14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #12625
wdpope1
Got Wood.

Scored me a real nice Weber lid the bottom was rusted out but it was free now to round up some more parts to build another UDS life is good cant wait for labor day wek end already got my Pork Butts
wdpope1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2016, 02:18 AM   #12626
iowabucks
Found some matches.

Hey everybody, why does it seem like I only get good smoke coming out of my UDS for maybe only 2 hours?

I'm using a full basket of Kingsford with hickory chunks that have been soaked for a few hours and scattered throughout the basket of charcoal. Even on the bottom of the basket. But it seems like after the first two hours, the smoke is done. Running at about 250 degrees.
iowabucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2016, 02:47 AM   #12627
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

"hickory chunks that have been soaked"
You do not need to soak the wood. You want to be seeing TBS (thin blue smoke). Almost invisible. Not heavy smoke.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #12628
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've been browsing through this thread for several days and noticed a few people are using long stem, kitchen thermometers through a grommet in the side of the drum as opposed to a normal BBQ thermometer. I kinda like this idea better since it gets a temp from closer to the cooking area. Is this just a normal candy/deep fry thermometer?
43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #12629
RT
Full Fledged Farker

I use two deep fry thermometers in my UDS, one is short for temperatures near the side and the other is long enough to reach the center.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2016, 05:22 AM   #12630
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Decided to try the deep fry thermometer. Picked up a 1/4" barb fitting from lowes, works perfectly for the old thermometer I had laying around...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20160525_001.jpg (54.1 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20160525_002.jpg (28.6 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20160525_020.jpg (25.4 KB, 597 views)
43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker