MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
SmokinPaPa
On the road to being a farker

Default Trout

Does anyone have a good recipe or way to fix trout?

Old 07-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #2
krex1010
is One Chatty Farker

Whole fish or fillets? I've done a basic dry brine and then smoked over cherry at about 175-200 degrees, flaked the meat off and used it for trout dip and fish cakes

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
T.Mac
is one Smokin' Farker

If I'm grilling and not smoking, I like a Caribbean twist on my fresh trout, redfish and red snapper. I usually remove the head, tail, organs and scale it if needed then roughly follow this recipe, putting the whole fish in a foil pouch with the marinade and leaving out the chicken bouillon.

http://www.africanbites.com/caribbea...e-red-snapper/

Old 07-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
Hillbilly BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

When I cook fish, I do this:

Cook around 250-275
Take a piece of foil, fold it in half, bend up sides to make "baking sheet" look
Lightly coat fish with Olive Oil
Use favorite fish rub (Dizzy Pig Raging River is great)
Squeeze lemon/lime juice on fish
Add some Rosemary or Thyme sprigs

Use some Peach/Cherry/Apple/etc wood, cook till fish is flaky.

This works well with whole fish, fillets and steaks.

***Edit***

If I am grilling, I bump up to 325-350 and try to indirect cook still with wood chunks. Finish off over direct fire for 1 min before pulling it off.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236146"]Chain Smoker First Cook[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237201"]Chain Smoker Finished[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239204"]Meet the Bumpkin[/URL]
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/hillbillybbqva"]Facebook: HillBillyBBQVA[/URL]
[URL="https://twitter.com/HillbillyBBQVa"]Twitter: @HillbillyBBQVA[/URL]
Hillbilly BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
2NDXRND
Knows what a fatty is.

If it's fresh trout, I'm a salt & pepper only type of guy. Please and thank you.
2NDXRND is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #6
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

How big are the trout? For pan size, I go simple: lightly dredge in seasoned flour and fry in a small amount of oil in a hot skillet. Flip and fry both sides.
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2016, 06:50 PM   #7
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just picked up a couple whole rainbow trout from the fish monger. Marinate on the counter for about a half hour in some olive oil, lime juice, thyme & salt. You want to bring it up to room temp before you throw it on the grill, otherwise the inside won't be done yet while the outside will be burnt.

Clean & oil the grate & cook direct hot n fast. Flip only once. About 4 minutes a side.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #8
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

I've used Patio Daddio's ultimate turkey brine on fish with very good results.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #9
SmokinPaPa
On the road to being a farker

Thanks everyone. My grandkids just caught these and I needed a way to fix them. Haven't done trout before.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #10
lankster35
Take a breath!

The key to brook trout/Rainbow trout is knowing how to get all the bones out after they are cooked. Ate them all my life growing up and once you get the hang of taking the meat off the bones it almost doesn't matter how you cook them. 10-15 minutes on the grill with some butter, salt, pepper, onions and lemon sitting on foil and you are ready to go.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:39 PM   #11
mjpmap
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Stuff the cavity with thin sliced onion, thin sliced lemon, and slivered almonds, and of course, S&P. Grill til the skin is crisp.