MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
MRI_Guy
Take a breath!

Default FlameDisk "The Charcoal Replacement"

So week after week these yahoos have given me multiple samples.

WHY? What can I do with these?

1 - WSM, 1 - ECB, 1 - Char Broil Performance Series Grill on Deck, 1 - 18.5" Weber Kettle, 1 - Propane grill/mini-fridge combo, 2 - Propane Turkey Cookers, 1 - Football Grill, 1 - Rectangular Wal-Mart Special, 1 - Terra Cotta Pig I'm going to call Marvin, & one superfast RED Thermapen
MRI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

oooooooh, oooh,

T-H-E C-H-A-R-C-O-A-L R-E-P-L-A-C--E-M-E-N-T

DUN, DUN, DUN, [the music plays awesomeness]

"made of ethanol a renewable biofuel" [as if its some kind of selling point]

I do not get it, why do the "save the whale people" have to save the planet for everyone . If I could, I would only smoke with old growth forests, and start my coals with whale fat!
Ethanol. pffff!

Here's their pitch why you should switch from charcoal to ethanol:

I like charcoal-grilled taste... why would I switch? We have performed “blind” taste tests that independently indicate there is no discernible difference in taste between food grilled on charcoal and food grilled on the FlameDisk®. In addition, the Weber Grill web site (Weber sells both charcoal and gas grills) states “Whether you're in the charcoal or gas grill camp, you're in luck. Taste tests indicate there's no significant flavor difference either way. The choice is strictly personal”. When juices from your meat drip down, the FlameDisk® SmokerPlate™ creates great, smoky, flame-grilled flavor as your food is cooking, so you give up nothing and gain lots.

Ummmmmm, "you can't taste the difference..... but it really comes down to just personal preference...."

I'll keep my personal preference thank you.

OMG, They are $5 a piece! With the kingsford coupon, thats like 2 bags of charcoal!

Use em to start camp fires?
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
jagardn
Full Fledged Farker

It looks like they could be used for quick cooks on a Weber, they only burn for 40 minutes or so. Can anything really replace charcoal? Looks like yet another attempt to satisfy the tree-huggers of the world so they feel they are not polluting the environment while grilling their vegetarian meals.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
jagardn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82muchhomework View Post
oooooooh, oooh,

T-H-E C-H-A-R-C-O-A-L R-E-P-L-A-C--E-M-E-N-T

DUN, DUN, DUN, [the music plays awesomeness]

"made of ethanol a renewable biofuel" [as if its some kind of selling point]

I do not get it, why do the "save the whale people" have to save the planet for everyone . If I could, I would only smoke with old growth forests, and start my coals with whale fat!
Ethanol. pffff!

Here's their pitch why you should switch from charcoal to ethanol:

I like charcoal-grilled taste... why would I switch? We have performed “blind” taste tests that independently indicate there is no discernible difference in taste between food grilled on charcoal and food grilled on the FlameDisk®. In addition, the Weber Grill web site (Weber sells both charcoal and gas grills) states “Whether you're in the charcoal or gas grill camp, you're in luck. Taste tests indicate there's no significant flavor difference either way. The choice is strictly personal”. When juices from your meat drip down, the FlameDisk® SmokerPlate™ creates great, smoky, flame-grilled flavor as your food is cooking, so you give up nothing and gain lots.

Ummmmmm, "you can't taste the difference..... but it really comes down to just personal preference...."

I'll keep my personal preference thank you.

OMG, They are $5 a piece! With the kingsford coupon, thats like 2 bags of charcoal!

Use em to start camp fires?
Thats funny, we were typing at the same time and pretty much on the same page.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have a case of them they sent to me. I'm going to figure out something this weekend to cook with them for a blog review.

I'm a little baffled too.

Trying to be objective is hard sometimes. I'm going to try and look at this as if I was just the normal "guy next door" that might use Matchlight.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
MRI_Guy
Take a breath!

Well - they roped the guys next to us to cook with it.

1 - WSM, 1 - ECB, 1 - Char Broil Performance Series Grill on Deck, 1 - 18.5" Weber Kettle, 1 - Propane grill/mini-fridge combo, 2 - Propane Turkey Cookers, 1 - Football Grill, 1 - Rectangular Wal-Mart Special, 1 - Terra Cotta Pig I'm going to call Marvin, & one superfast RED Thermapen

Old 09-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have some that I haven't tried but they could be a good replacement in some situations like tailgating, camping and small picnics to cut down on load?
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
jagardn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
I have some that I haven't tried but they could be a good replacement in some situations like tailgating, camping and small picnics to cut down on load?
Thats a good point, I saw their video an that was pretty much their target audience. The price is right for tailgating if you don't have anything to clean up after a six pack or more

Old 09-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
TexasGuppie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagardn View Post
It looks like they could be used for quick cooks on a Weber, they only burn for 40 minutes or so. Can anything really replace charcoal? Looks like yet another attempt to satisfy the tree-huggers of the world so they feel they are not polluting the environment while grilling their vegetarian meals.
The answer to the question in bold is, "Yes."

Charcoal can be replaced with another chimney of CHARCOAL.

SAVE THE WHALES (they are mighty tasty rubbed, smoked and sliced with the grain.)

-Gup (gonna contribute brisket gasses to the air this weekend.)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"You must go through the Valley to stand upon the mountain of God."[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]In Memory of Scott "E" Cook[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]3/29/1965-9/3/2006[/FONT]
TexasGuppie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
MOS95B
is one Smokin' Farker

Well, at least on thier site, they say it's for grilling. And I could see that as a potential use. If I just wanted to do up a couple of burgers or cheap steaks for me and The Missus it just might work.

They allegedly sell them at Cub Foods. How much would I be chastised here if I picked up one or two and tried them??
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
TexasGuppie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS95B View Post
Well, at least on thier site, they say it's for grilling. And I could see that as a potential use. If I just wanted to do up a couple of burgers or cheap steaks for me and The Missus it just might work.

They allegedly sell them at Cub Foods. How much would I be chastised here if I picked up one or two and tried them??
Will they create and hold enough heat to boil water for ribs?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"You must go through the Valley to stand upon the mountain of God."[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]In Memory of Scott "E" Cook[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]3/29/1965-9/3/2006[/FONT]
TexasGuppie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
MOS95B
is one Smokin' Farker

According to my son, who is stationed at the airbase in your neck of the woods, you don't need fire to boil water. Just set it outside for a minute. (He lived in Minnesota here since he was 5)
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
MRI_Guy
Take a breath!

It was tough for the guy to say good things about the FlameDisk with a straight face.

Once their filming was done - I invited some of the guys over for some GOOD food........

I was shocked that NONE of the FlameDisk guys came over, but all of the other guys in the tailgating group did.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #14
jagardn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuppie View Post
Will they create and hold enough heat to boil water for ribs?

You can boil ribs?

Old 09-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagardn View Post
You can boil ribs?
Yes and no, there are rules involved.

1. You have to be watching the food network while boiling.
2. You must use liquid smoke.
3. You must relinquish your membership to this site.