No More Plastic

Oldyote

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This was some of the first generation "wood alternative" (plastic) decking.

From a distance it didn't look back but up close it was a mess.

Time had come to get rid of the plastic.

Scarlett had fun lending a hand.

Time to pull in the professional.

Temps dropped so we had to water seal some of the cedar in the garage.

Now to put it all together.

I love how it turned out but now I have to fix up the egg table.

Man that is sweet work. Awesome and inspiring. Like Scarlett helping. :thumb:

That is saaweeet!

Cooking ob the lower portion while friends and family recline/relax/refresh on the upper would be a farkin' blast!

BTW, cute helper ya got there.

That is beautiful! I looked into the plastic stuff when I recently did a remodel. Read so many bad reviews and saw the number of lawsuits against them I decided to stick with heart redwood. Your cedar is awesome. Enjoy it!

Nice work, but dang that was a lot of$$$$$ wasted.

What gets me is I used to work at Lowes and they pushed that product heavy. Hardly any contractors would buy it, but DIY customers were all over it. I wonder how many regrets putting that stuff down???

New deck look's great. How old was plastic deck down there??

Deck was around 12 years old. Each year we would repair what we could be it seemed like each year it would shrink a little more. It was also very brittle in some places. Plus it was super slippery when wet.

Thanks guys.

My wife and I (and Scarlett) did as much as we could and had time for (demolition, picking out and delivery of all the materials, and weather proofing), but the actual building was done by a friend of mine along with my step-son. I wish I could take credit for all of it but all those angles would have pushed me over the edge.

Really nice final product. Unfortunately many of the first gen "engineered products" from 10-15 years ago have been failures. We have just replaced all the trim on our house, the "last a lifetime" stuff just didn't cut it. That cedar will last and it looks GREAT!

Yowza! :shock: Did you do the plastic deck or was it there when you moved in?

Either way, the new one looks outstanding. Well done :eusa_clap

Yowza! :shock: Did you do the plastic deck or was it there when you moved in?

I didn't take part in the first deck. I do like the "maintenance free" aspect of the wood alternatives and I think the some of the new ones are probably very good. I'm just a wood guy. Around the time I'm pressure washing and re-watersealing I might have a different opinion :tape:.

Back