MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:45 AM   #1
tbag
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Traeger Pellets enough smoke?

I already have a primo oval Xl,Weber kettle and pk grill.
Have been looking for a smoker but it’s too expensive to ship from us to Norway (Europe). My neighbors don’t like too much smoke so I can’t have anything that uses wood.

Does anyone know how the Traeger works when it come to their super smoke? Do they produce enough smoke like charcoal? I tried a Traeger a little while ago with normal smoke, but I did not have the opportunity to try the super smoke.
tbag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #2
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

My Timberline depending on what temp its set on supersmoke will produce quite a bit of smoke periodically. The initial burn in i thought someone was going to call the fire dept.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

Find new neighbors by moving?

Old 04-15-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
tbag
Knows what a fatty is.

Im looking at Timberline 1300. I have had charcoal grill/smokers all my life and really enjoy the taste of lump charcoal with wood chunks. The timberline would be an extra grill/smoker to the other three that I have. Have been sceptic to pellet smokers but if it produces enough smoke and the taste is ok then I’m consider it.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbag View Post
Im looking at Timberline 1300. I have had charcoal grill/smokers all my life and really enjoy the taste of lump charcoal with wood chunks. The timberline would be an extra grill/smoker to the other three that I have. Have been sceptic to pellet smokers but if it produces enough smoke and the taste is ok then I’m consider it.
I prefer my Pit Boss 820D for a few reasons. But my 1300 can cook a lot of food including a 22lb Turkey beer can style. My Pit Boss 820D can barely fit a 7lb chicken beer can style (standing upright).

I can get more smoke out of my Pit Boss using the manual "P" setting on "smoke mode" And the Flame zone is great for reverse searing Tri Tip.

Unless you got money to blow, think long and hard before you shell out for a 1300.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #6
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have a Timberline, it will not parallel the smoke profile of lump and chunks, witch is not my favorite. The smoke profile on the timberline is subtle even on super smoke. But i don't do the 180 or what ever suppler low temp others may do. That may produce more.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #7
Bru
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Brian

I always run my traeger at 180 for the first few hours when smoking brisket or pork shoulder to get more smoke flavor. I don’t have super smoke on mine unfortunately.
Bru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
tbag
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
I prefer my Pit Boss 820D for a few reasons. But my 1300 can cook a lot of food including a 22lb Turkey beer can style. My Pit Boss 820D can barely fit a 7lb chicken beer can style (standing upright).

I can get more smoke out of my Pit Boss using the manual "P" setting on "smoke mode" And the Flame zone is great for reverse searing Tri Tip.

Unless you got money to blow, think long and hard before you shell out for a 1300.

Can you tell me the main reasons why you don`t recommend the Timberline 1300? Cons and pros?

Im only thinking about using the Timberline for low and slow,baking +++, but when it comes to searing meat I would be using one of my other charcoal grills.

In Norway we only have Traeger when it comes to pellets. Then I would have to order from the states and get it shipped overseas. I would cost between 600-800 dollars just in shipping + 25% extra in tax + the smoker I decide to get.

Last edited by tbag; 04-15-2019 at 01:09 PM..

Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #9
blacksmith
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Vince

Quote:
My neighbors don’t like too much smoke so I can’t have anything that uses wood.

Does anyone know how the Traeger works
When you say wood I suppose you mean wood other than pellets?

Pellet smokers produce smoke, visible smoke. Like a fireplace, if they are set hotter the smoke diminishes but the pleasant odor is still noticeable in the neighborhood. If the smoker has a temperature swing (most do) then they can produce a visible smoke burst again. Regardless of the temperature setting they really pour out smoke as they heat up.

I don't know the Norway market but if you can aquire/build a gas smoker you can use a pellet tube device like the A-MAZE-N. I started of with a Vertical and fought the smoke/temperature battle until I discovered the tubes.

The inexpensive verticals have many good qualities because of modestly reasonable temperature control but to get mine to smolder wood chunks I had to nudge up the gas. Unfortunately, it then takes very little to ignite the wood and that in turn boosts the heat higher and consumes the wood quickly. Once I stared and relied more on the tube, I was able to pick my temperature and still have smoke flavor. One side benefit is a 20 LB bag of pellets will last a very long time.

Tell your neighbors you will smoke their food. I suspect they will cooperate more...

Old 04-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #10
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Can you tell me the main reasons why you don`t recommend the Timberline 1300? Cons and pros?

Im only thinking about using the Timberline for low and slow,baking +++, but when it comes to searing meat I would be using one of my other charcoal grills.

In Norway we only have Traeger when it comes to pellets. Then I would have to order from the states and get it shipped overseas. I would cost between 600-800 dollars just in shipping + 25% extra in tax + the smoker I decide to get.
1300 pros: stable low and high temps, wifi, large capacity
1300 cons: soot issue seems intermittent ( might be related to a bag of treager pellets that had a lot of sawdust in the bag), grates all one piece will not fit in dishwasher.

Thats another reason i like my Pit Boss, the grates come in 3 sections and fit easily in my dishwasher making clean up much easier.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #11
tbag
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
1300 pros: stable low and high temps, wifi, large capacity
1300 cons: soot issue seems intermittent ( might be related to a bag of treager pellets that had a lot of sawdust in the bag), grates all one piece will not fit in dishwasher.

Thats another reason i like my Pit Boss, the grates come in 3 sections and fit easily in my dishwasher making clean up much easier.

Hopefully it’s the bag:) I don’t mind that the grates does not fit in the dishwasher. My main concern is the smoke output, will it produce enough smoke? Will you taste any flavor from the pellets or is it barely noticeable?

Old 04-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #12
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Hopefully it’s the bag:) I don’t mind that the grates does not fit in the dishwasher. My main concern is the smoke output, will it produce enough smoke? Will you taste any flavor from the pellets or is it barely noticeable?
Its clean and subtle (main selling point for me) You can get more flavor if you set to 165F on supersmoke and smoke longer before you raise to target cooking temp you want. You could also add a pellet smoking tray or tube.You can also add a wood chunk on top of the firepot difuser (ive seen a video posted today) of the smoke daddy company doing this with there pellet pro. I imagine it would work equally as well with the timberline models.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:13 PM   #13
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Let me add to the soot issue. I think i know where its comming from. During the pre heating there is a countdown, well a countup. it usually starts around 50 till it hits 100 During this time it smokes like a grease fire till it reaches past 90 at that point it will switch to F being in my case it went from 90 to 118F at which point it burns clean. Now i usually keep the lid open during the igniting sequence which takes roughly 3-4 minutes, then when it reaches the preheat sequence i close the lid. I was under the impression this is standard procedure. Oddly enough tonight it was smoking so bad in the 90 range i opened the lid to let some smoke escape and to see if there was a damn grease fire in there (even though i shop vac'd the thing before i turned it on) Well, after o opened the lid and closed it, it started burning clean. I am now wondering if this is somehow related to opening that lid and adding more air in. But between the blower and there special convection exaust, i find this hard to consider.

So i hope you consider my issues before you consider buying a timberline.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:40 PM   #14
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

I believe traeger directions say to just start it withe the lid down, I don't. I leave it open until the fire ignites then close the lid. I always set it to warm up to a much higher temp then I intend on cooking at. After heated and loaded , I make sure the temp rises to just above my cooking temp, then set it where I want it.

That sound like a lot more smoke than I get Candice. at least I wouldn't call it a grease fire.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:02 PM   #15
Montana Jack
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jack

Can't beat the Timberline for convenience, but there was a thread a few days ago universally that PPs don't have the same smoke profile as stick burners. Went to a stick burner and will never look back, but still keep the PP for when time is short or can't be there to manage the fire. Its passable smoke and as several commented, using lower temp and supersmoke will help. Don't think you'll be disappointed.