MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #91
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Yeah!!!! What sled said!!! Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079

Old 10-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #92
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

I judged at Mason City, Iowa this year and I got an entry that looked just like that. It looked like it had been fried. It was not disqualified like yours. However, it did not score very well because it wasn't very good all together.
It was a bit off putting to see a "fried" looking entry but I believe it was scored fairly at our table.
I don't believe an entry should be disqualified base on a cooking processes without checking with the cook first.

Sorry about your DQ.
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643

Old 10-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #93
GordonsBackyardBBQ
Found some matches.

Sounds like the Rep didnt follow the rules. Sorry to hear that.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:59 AM   #94
Chris Nickelson
Full Fledged Farker

Sorry to hear about the turn of events.

My thoughts:
If YOU liked the chicken, Screw the judges!
Eat and be happy!

two brinkman R2D2's
Trailer Mounted H & S 2000 Pit

CBJ# 14974 :cool:

Old 10-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #95
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Push the limits of the rules and you increase your risks of being DQ'd. We have been DQ'd many times in NEBS grilling contest for pushing the edge of the rules. I agree that the entry is legal but do you really want to be in the position of having a reps judgment call determine the success of your weekend?

Old 10-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #96
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Sorry about your DQ...seems like I hear about more DQs for chicken then anything else..

I have a question about your recipe. You mention the eggs cracked in a bowl, but then dont mention what you do with it. I was looking to make this recipe this weekend to try it out...Doubt that I will be using it in a competition, but love any new chicken recipes I can get my hands on.

So is it egg>flour or is it flour>egg>flour or what. i noticed 3 bowls in the picture with your dredging...looks like (left to right) seasoned flour > flour > eggs

I understand if you dont want to tell the whole recipe, but I sure did what to try it...it looks really good..I was hoping to bring something new to the tailgate at the WLOCP next weekend..

thanks.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #97
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
Sorry about your DQ...seems like I hear about more DQs for chicken then anything else..

I have a question about your recipe. You mention the eggs cracked in a bowl, but then dont mention what you do with it. I was looking to make this recipe this weekend to try it out...Doubt that I will be using it in a competition, but love any new chicken recipes I can get my hands on.

So is it egg>flour or is it flour>egg>flour or what. i noticed 3 bowls in the picture with your dredging...looks like (left to right) seasoned flour > flour > eggs

I understand if you dont want to tell the whole recipe, but I sure did what to try it...it looks really good..I was hoping to bring something new to the tailgate at the WLOCP next weekend..

thanks.

No problem. Mix your seasoning in with your flour. Break a few eggs in a bowl and mix as you if you were making scrambled eggs. Dip your chicken into the egg and dredge in the flour. Into the smoker or onto the grill they go.

PS: We also inject the chicken with a secret buttery concoction that I can not divulge. This method works great for taste and crisp skin.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…

Old 10-19-2007, 02:09 PM   #98
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

First off, sorry for the DQ for doing what you do...... It looks like they were taken off guard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer View Post
I challenge any official from KCBS to read this thread beginning to end and provide a valid explanition.

There is no excuse for a DQ based on speculation. It's a credible as looking at a rib and saying this looks like it came from a grocery store deli, it's dq'd.
This is where I feel there is not enough training on the do's and don'ts for the judging.... take a class and judge.... no standards as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
We have sent email messages to Ed Roith and Donna McClure and have not gotten a response. I had a great attitude about this up til now. Now I feel I am being ignored. Unfortunately this is what I expected.

Well, I see you at least did hear back from them. I am still waiting for an answer to a couple of questions I emailed to 6 of them at KCBS. Not a single one has enough nerve or guts to answer a single question. It has been almost 8 months now. I even called 3 months ago to see why. Amy answered the phone and she said she would get back to me with an answer...... I am still waiting.

Since they can not answer me a couple of simple questions, or even give me the courtesy of even a reply of any kind, I have not nor will not renew my membership in an organization that is that rude. Nor can I recommend them to anyone.

I sure hope they get their act together soon.

They have too many "grey" areas that need help. It looks like they are trying to grow too big too fast and don't know how to handle it or run it properly.

Sorry for ranting....

Bill
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge

Old 10-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #99
Sawdustguy

Bill,

I would never have gotten a reply if it were not for Jim Minion. He pushed the issue for me, otherwise it would have been swept under the table.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 10-19-2007, 02:25 PM   #100
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Bill,

I would never have gotten a reply if it were not for Jim Minion. He pushed the issue for me, otherwise it would have been swept under the table.

I can believe that.... I think that they think if they just ignore the situation, it will go away..... I personally think they are making a lot of problems for themselves by not addressing them quickly and listening to their members.

Not a problem though. It is only a few bucks out of my pocket that I am now keeping. Will I compete in another event.....

http://www.ncagr.com/markets/facilit...okin/index.htm

YES ! ! !
Nothing says I have to be a member to compete....
2 UGLY drum smokers
Super fast RED Thermapen
KCBS Certified Judge

Old 10-19-2007, 05:04 PM   #101
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
No problem. Mix your seasoning in with your flour. Break a few eggs in a bowl and mix as you if you were making scrambled eggs. Dip your chicken into the egg and dredge in the flour. Into the smoker or onto the grill they go.

PS: We also inject the chicken with a secret buttery concoction that I can not divulge. This method works great for taste and crisp skin.

Thanks I am certainly looking forward to making this chicken this weekend. Also I certainly didnt want you to give up anything that is a team secret. thanks for sharing.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:02 AM   #102
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Sawdust, that sounds a lot like a recipe I use here at home. I use a mustard slather on my chicken before I dredge it. I also have a marinade I let my chicken sit in overnight before cooking. It does look so much like fried, that I am scared to try it at a comp. Everyone that tries it loves it, but, do I try it at a comp? ? ? ? ? ? Maybe one day I will get brave, but I think I will throw it passed the rep first....

Bill
2 UGLY drum smokers
Super fast RED Thermapen
KCBS Certified Judge

Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #103
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Made this recipe twice this weekend. The first time was great...came out just like fried chicken and everyone was impressed...the second time it didnt really come out that great, but I think that it could have used a little longer on the grill...it still tasted fine, but the skin and crispyness wasnt there like it was on saturday night..still good though...I was hoping for something new to bring to the tailgate, but I dont think that I am quite ready for primetime with this recipe.

thanks for the recipe.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 PM   #104
Sawdustguy

Dawg, your welcome. It took a couple times to get it right so don't give up on it.

Bill, definitely tell the Reps! I don't want anyone to get DQ'ed on this. If excuted right, it is some of the best chicken you can make. Sounds like you have your recipe down pat Bill. Best of luck Bill.

We used the recipe this weekend and we sauced it so it would look like BBQ. It tasted good and it took 11th but the sauce really took away the real taste of the chicken which I think is better. It got good grades for texture.

Stupidity for Dummies

Closed Thread