• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

85 gallon UDS

P

Phatal

I just built my first UDS using a 85 gallon oil drum. It is 52in tall and 26in wide. I was able to do double grates. One is 30in from the bottom and the other is 38.5in from the bottom. Does anyone know how the temperature will vary, from top to bottom and middle of grate to outside wall?

I had a friend who scored them for $30. They were pretty much brand new. I cooked some spares on it this weekend, for the first time, and the thermometer read 200 the whole time and they cooked a little under 4.

Attachments

• IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 382
  • IMAG0006-1.jpg
    IMAG0006-1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 378
  • CIMG0012.jpg
    CIMG0012.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 372
  • CIMG0013.jpg
    CIMG0013.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 370
  • CIMG0014.jpg
    CIMG0014.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 372
Is there anything that brings a smile to a face as much as a brand UDS, specially when it's a nice sized monster like that one. Good work!

I just built my first UDS using a 85 gallon oil drum. It is 52in tall and 26in wide. I was able to do double grates. One is 30in from the bottom and the other is 38.5in from the bottom. Does anyone know how the temperature will vary, from top to bottom and middle of grate to outside wall?

I know that when my 55 is running at about 250, the bottom 6" or so of the drum is barely warm (literally about 90 degrees F, if that), and the lid is cool enough to remove with my bare hands (barely)... I haven't yet installed my handles. ;-)

-r

I like the height of yours. Mine is 39"x26".

Hogman bought 96 gallon drums from Grainger and they are 42"x26". His were shiny bright yellow drums at one time! Bigger is better!

IMG_0348.jpg

Larin (Hoggy) and the 'wonderful white!" with one of his 3 Mega's

I also but the head of the bolt on the outside of the barrel. That way all I have to do is push them out to the nut, so I can get the bottom grate out. Works very nice. Anyone else using double grates? How do you have it set up?

Back