MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default What if Rule Change Suggestion

Here is my suggestion to all sanctioned BBQ bodies that organize BBQ Cook-Offs:

My thought is to have each single meat catagory judging be done by catagories of stick burners, charcoal burner (No Electronics/Electricity), charcoal burner (With Electronics/Electricity) and then gas burners (At the table level Blind to the judges). The judgeing would be on as level as possible a playing field as possible with a difficulty multiplier to be applied to each of the meat catagory's final score (all 3 categories scores added together for each meat). Then take those scores and combine them all to get the Meat and overall winners.

I would have the difficulty multiplier something like the following:
Log Burners - X 1.3
Charcoal Burner (No Electronics/Electricity) - 1.2
Charcoal Burner (With Electronics/Electricity) - 1.1
Gas Burner - 1.0

This would also get the gas Burners in the event and I believe we would see 200 Teams where we see only 20-30 today in the pro devision. I think that the backyard would also be full with gassers.

What do you think?

Old 12-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Seems like you have put a lot of good thought into all this. I use a stick burner myself. However, when I lose to a team that uses another kind of smoker I assume that they are:
1. Better cooks
2. Harder workers.

I don't see any need whatsoever to differentiate between cookers and types of cookers. As far as I'm concerned - let folks use whatever they want. It will always come down to ability and hard work, IMO. As for difficulty - I can't imagine how difficult it is to deal with power shortages, fried "boards" and stuck augers. Heck, all I have to do is start a fire :)

Old 12-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Sounds to me like you think a stick burner is harder to use than other cookers. Or maybe stick burners can't cook so they need a big edge just to compete.

And I notice you decided to ban pellets or are they just little sticks.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

That is a logistical nightmare...
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

My logic is to level the field and get the gas burners in to up the Teams counts quick.

As far as a stick burner being fed a stick or two every 30-45 minutes all night the same dificulty as pour a bag of charcoal in and start the temp control device and then go to bed ... come on.

The analogy I gave in another thread is a hand welder skills and difficulty rated against a robotic welder operator. One does all the work and the other just sets up the machine and pushes a button. The weld bead is what would be judged only in todays sanctioned events. Which takes more human skill set and difficulty and is that a fair challange?

BTW - I have re-vamped to include pellet cookers:

I would have the difficulty multiplier something like the following:
Log Burners - X 1.3
Charcoal Burner (No Electronics/Electricity) - 1.2
Charcoal Burner (With Electronics/Electricity) and Pellet Cookers - 1.1
Gas Burner - 1.0

MHO

Old 12-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

How about homemade cookers X 2.5?

Seriously though, why would a stick burner be that much more difficult than a charcoal (Backwoods) cooker?

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside Smoker View Post
How about homemade cookers X 2.5?

Seriously though, why would a stick burner be that much more difficult than a charcoal (Backwoods) cooker?

This was just a starting point to discuss possibilities. I am not saying those should not be equally weighted, or that the factors to multiply are correct %. I am just trying to get new judgeing involved and to find a way to get the gassers in the mix.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimsBBQ View Post
This was just a starting point to discuss possibilities. I am not saying those should not be equally weighted, or that the factors to multiply are correct %. I am just trying to get new judgeing involved and to find a way to get the gassers in the mix.
Then how about we allow gassers.

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside Smoker View Post
Then how about we allow gassers.
I am down for that ... and let everyone cook on what they like and can afford and scrap the difficulty multiplier. Hmmmmm

What does everyone else think about that logic?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
chromesporty
is one Smokin' Farker

As for me, I say let 'em cook on whatever puts them on top of their game. If I beat them, great for me. If they beat me, I need to work a little harder to find that edge.

I would find it a bitter pill to swallow if I won a comp and found out that the FEC or guru'ed stumps actually OUTSCORED me, but I won because I use a homebuilt stickburner and the multiplier handed me the win. That just ain't how I roll.

New R&O smoker - Flaco
Battle tested WSM - R2D2
chromesporty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromesporty View Post
As for me, I say let 'em cook on whatever puts them on top of their game. If I beat them, great for me. If they beat me, I need to work a little harder to find that edge.

I would find it a bitter pill to swallow if I won a comp and found out that the FEC or guru'ed stumps actually OUTSCORED me, but I won because I use a homebuilt stickburner and the multiplier handed me the win. That just ain't how I roll.
I agree ... I was shaking the trees to make people see that the reason gassers was not allowed is no longer true. I am just trying to get the discussion here to be "Why Not Allow Gassers Now".

Can you vision the Pro Team Count blow through the roof if gas was allowed?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromesporty View Post

well said...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

What if I use logs and charcoal? Can I add the multipliers together?

Gasser and Stick Burner tie at 600. Stick burner gets 30% bump to 780 points.

With all of the electronics that can go wrong with a pellet cooker, I think they should be 1.4. I mean if you really want to challenge yourself, rely on a pellet machine. Takes a big pair to take the risk.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I think the Gas cookers should get the highest multiplier because they'll get the most crap from the whiney stick burners. It's going to be a long winter.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #15
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
I think the Gas cookers should get the highest multiplier because they'll get the most crap from the whiney stick burners. It's going to be a long winter.
How about just no Farking banning of gassers from Pro Comps and no difficulty factor be applied