MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #9526
RojoNinja
Got rid of the matchlight.

Bought an unlined recertified drum today (from a local company), burnt it out for about 5 and a half hours, let it cool, primed part of it (ran out blargh) and painted one section of it, gonna finish painting it tomorrow, and post some pics! Don't have any more money though haha so I wont be able to get any grates or make a basket for a while. but at least I'm doing it :D
RojoNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #9527
gravityguy
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10_Bears View Post
Dont think there's any liner in there. Mine came out the same after a sand blast. Just has a coarse finish that's all. Is that right GRAVITYGUY???
Yeah thats right, the blasting makes the surface quite rough. The inside was completely orange before so the lining has definitely gone.

I've actually just completed my first trial run. I didn't actually intend cooking but I couldn't resist so I went out and bought a fresh to chicken to just throw on and see how it turned out. I used about 1.5 chimneys worth of charcoal and 2 good size chunks of maple wood. Chicken was amazing and the charcoal is still smouldering away 6 hours later! I can't believe how little charcoal is actually needed. See below for a picture of my first chicken.

chicken.jpg

It propbably wasn't the best smoked chicken in the world as I literally just threw it on and hoped for the best. Even still, it tasted fantastic. I can't wait to see what things taste like when I add rubs etc!!

Thanks everyone for posting and allowing to build my UDS, I couldn't have done it without the posts on here!

I'll carry on updating as I get more proficient and hopefully i'll be able to help others in the future
gravityguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #9528
gravityguy
Found some matches.

Just as I finished typing the last message, the typical british weather prevailed... hard heavy rain!! Any chance of finding out how long the coals would last has just evaporated (pun not intended)!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #9529
jldozier
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Finally!

It took me way too long to get my charcoal basket welded, but yesterday it was done. In the meantime my neighbor and I built a cart out of old L channel he had around, painted it, put shelves on, and even figured out how to hinge a flat top. Since he's a plumber, all things can be solved with the judicious application of pipe.

Hosed it down inside with Walmart brand Pam and left it run for a couple of hours last night with all 3 inlets open. Pegged the thermometer at 475 when I went to check and shut it down before bed. From the charcoal left in the basket, I think we did a real good job with keeping it airtight.

All I have left is to drill 2 holes for my temperature probes to run through. Using 3/8" brass close nipples and lock nuts for the entryway.

I'm going to drill a hole through the center of 2 silicone rubber stoppers, maybe slit the stoppers to get the probes throughv(or drill the hole large enough) and then seal the stopper ends up with some Sugru.

Think I'll go to the grocery store after work and cook an inaugural naked fatty on it tonight.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #9530
dddouglas
Knows what a fatty is.

jldozier, that has got to be the most insane inventive means of hinged lid I have ever seen
dddouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #9531
jldozier

My plumber friend will take that as a complement.

Google "Pneumatic Copper Potato Cannon with tripod" for more of his handiwork.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #9532
RojoNinja

Took a pic of the paint, I think it turned out decent, other than the fact that it looks hairy... I guess that stuff 'll just burn off when I season it. Gotta read back on how to clean out the soot from inside too..

Last edited by RojoNinja; 05-30-2012 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Added Pic
RojoNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #9533
hardy
Got Wood.

i love it very nice nice table. are you a plumber Ha Ha
hardy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2012, 01:48 AM   #9534
tonoxtono

Default Hello, I'm new here so sorry if this doesn't make any sense.

My brother and I are going to make our first UDS for my father for his B-day/Fathers day and I was hoping that you guys can help me with a few things. The first thing is, if I get a food grade 55 gallon steel drum and get it sandblasted to remove the liner, do I still have to burn it afterwards? Or do I burn it 1st and sandblast whatever is left including the remaining outside paint?
tonoxtono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #9535
gravityguy
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoxtono View Post
My brother and I are going to make our first UDS for my father for his B-day/Fathers day and I was hoping that you guys can help me with a few things. The first thing is, if I get a food grade 55 gallon steel drum and get it sandblasted to remove the liner, do I still have to burn it afterwards? Or do I burn it 1st and sandblast whatever is left including the remaining outside paint?
If you are getting the drum sand blasted then you won't need to burn it out. The blasting literally gets rid of everything right back to the steel itself. In my opinion it's far better as there is no mess involved when getting it blasted. Sandblasting may cost a few $$$ but if you think about it, you will actually save that on all of the sanding discs etc that you will need to clean and sand it if you burnt it out. I got mine soda blasted and I was very happy. Did my first cook a few days ago

Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #9536
smokeraddict
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2entropy View Post
I finally read the entire thread and built my first UDS. I made ribs and a fatty(once I figured out what those were) and NO disappointments! Thanks for all the great detail that made it so easy on this tread.
those ribs look fantastic

Old 06-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #9537
gravityguy
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeraddict View Post
those ribs look fantastic
Totally agree. I have seen people talking about fatties before and I had no idea what they were.

Now I know I will definitely be making some for my smoker! I'm salivating just looking at it! mmmmm fatties.........

Old 06-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #9538
inraged2002

I am totally new to this and am getting ready to build my first UDS. I have a question regarding how much charcoal to use. I'm sure it has been asked before but there are soooo many post to look through. How do you know how much charcoal to use? I know it has to be different if you are smoking tri-tips compared to shoulders. From what I have been reading it seems like its about a pound per hour. Would this be a good estimate?
inraged2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #9539
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Quote:
Originally Posted by inraged2002 View Post
I am totally new to this and am getting ready to build my first UDS. I have a question regarding how much charcoal to use. I'm sure it has been asked before but there are soooo many post to look through. How do you know how much charcoal to use? I know it has to be different if you are smoking tri-tips compared to shoulders. From what I have been reading it seems like its about a pound per hour. Would this be a good estimate?
A pound an hour is a good place to start I guess. There are a lot of variables to consider though. Outdoor temp. Wind. Humidity. Volume of meat. etc.... Cheers!!!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #9540
bigluelok

any Los Angeles brethren looking for a barrel or 2 http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...048204608.html

i havent used them before but price seems cheap enough at $15 a barrel
bigluelok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker