MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #8836
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

This thread still kicking?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #8837
swamprb

Default Thank Gawd yer back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
This thread needs some moderatin'!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #8838
BigKev
Got Wood.

Still alive over here in Riverside. Howdy neighbor.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #8839
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Been keepin the boys straight Brian? Almost afraid to scroll back in the thread. My simple drum has to be outdated I'm sure.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #8840
BigKev
Got Wood.

I think the "Basic Drum" is still the best foundation to start from. Everything else is bling and window dressing.

With that said....has anyone tried using a medium size stainless colander (12"-14") as a diffuser? Just wonder if the bowl shape would help diffuse some of the heat away from the center and the holes still lets enough through to help even out the temps. Also the holes would let all the dripping grease make it down to the coals.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #8841
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTJB View Post
IS a charcoal box even needed? After my first cook i noted almost a 40 degree difference between the center grate and perimeter temperature. in lieu of a charcoal box, would a piece of expanded metal covered with charcoal work better? Im envisioning a roughly 23"diameter of 1/2" expanded metal with whatever height of charcoal stacked on top of it. Then after lighting a 1/3 of a chimney, use tongs to evenly space them out over the unlit coals in hopes that you get a somewhat even distribution of heat. Does anyone have an idea if this would work?
I've thought about something along those lines too but I doubt you'll get a nice even burn across the entire grate, edge to edge. You're bound to get hot spots here and there, I would think.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #8842
BigKev
Got Wood.

So building on the colander question.... I ran across one of these:

The description says it is 11" in diameter (not sure if that is opened or closed).

Thinking that it may allow it to diffuse some of the central heat plume to the outside, and still let grease to drip through and the flavor to waft up. I figure for $11 I may give it a go, and then do some temp reading to see how things balance out on a newer drum I am building. I figure it will need a very low rack to sit on.

Comments? Thoughts? Pitch Forks and Flaming Torches?

Old 11-08-2011, 05:15 AM   #8843
swamprb

Quote:
Been keepin the boys straight Brian? Almost afraid to scroll back in the thread. My simple drum has to be outdated I'm sure.

Dayum! You buy some people books and all they do is chew on the pages!

Old 11-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #8844
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Quote:
OMG! Something so simple has become so complex!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #8845
Bbq Bubba

Lol, haven't posted to this thread in over 2 years and still the 5th highest poster!
#detroitporkmafia

Old 11-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #8846
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Lol, haven't posted to this thread in over 2 years and still the 5th highest poster!

Have you finished the Mega Drum yet?

Old 11-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #8847
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

REGARDING SOMETHING TO DIFFUSE THE HEAT
I have found this to work the best hands down. Get some angle iron (or aluminum) (the large pieces, but does not need to be thick) and cut it and lay it down on a grill grate, pointing up (in normal fashion so it's like an "A" sitting on the grate. We're not lying it on its side or anything). Attach it with bolts and big washers or some other way (by drilling holes through it. They might not come out perfectly straight which is OK, just make sure to get very large washers). Cut and place each piece across the grate to go from edge to edge. (You can optionally not attach it but just lay down these pieces on the grate.) Put that down anywhere over the fire and it will do a fantastic job of evening out the heat. Aluminum is much lighter, but the Iron will retain that heat for a more gradual increase and decrease in temps. The best part is that it allows the meaty goodness to still drip down into the fire which is critical because it really increases some flavoring and extra steaming action of whatever drips down.

NOW FOR SOMETHING CHALLENGING.
I did a smoke last week for a shelter in town, as mostly the whole state was out of power due to the big snow storm we got. I usually use plain charcoal briquettes but this time I had some bags of hardwood lump coals. I love using it for grilling, but wasn't sure about smoking. So I tried it. After 1 hour, I really didn't like the smell coming out of the smoker.. ashtray-like. To avoid the food getting its own ashtray taste, I wrapped the 4 pork butts I was doing (2 smokers) in foil and left it over night. Early the next morning, all the coals had just about gone out, and the temperature was dropping. So I purchased some regular briquettes and saved the rest of the cook until ready. The meat was very tender (all wrapped up) and tasted fine with some brown sugar added, though it had a slight ashtray smell.

So the question.. how would you smoke with the hardwood lump coals? The 2 problems I saw was the nasty smell of it smoldering, and very difficult heat control and length. It was considerably hotter in the beginning, and it all burnt out by the next morning. I frequently do smokes overnight with plain charcoal briquettes without any issues.

And finally, say there is a technique to doing this with hardwood lump coals. Is there a reason to bother with it? I merely HAD them so wanted to use them, but wouldn't buy them for smoking. Definitely for grilling though!
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #8848
Toscadero
Knows what a fatty is.

Bought all the hardware except the drum. Thought I was going to have to drive out of town to get one. A buddy called last week and said that he had some closed top drums for free. Picked one up yesterday, cut the top out and drilled my holes. Have it filled with wood ready to burn out this afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drum.JPG (53.3 KB, 604 views)
Toscadero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #8849
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Have you finished the Mega Drum yet?
No, been very busy with the restaurant but am gathering supplies as we speak.
Gotta get this thing done before you become the first to have the worlds biggest drum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toscadero View Post
Bought all the hardware except the drum. Thought I was going to have to drive out of town to get one. A buddy called last week and said that he had some closed top drums for free. Picked one up yesterday, cut the top out and drilled my holes. Have it filled with wood ready to burn out this afternoon.
WHY are you going to burn out a perfectly good unlined drum???
Wash and season that sucker, save you some repainting time as well!

I knew i shouldnt have stuck my head back in here.
#detroitporkmafia

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #8850
Toscadero
Knows what a fatty is.

I don't know what was previously in the drum. Something greasy. Tried cleaning it out and it still comes away a bit greasy. Thought the burnout would get rid of whatever was in the barrel. I am very grateful to have an unlined barrel though.
Toscadero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker