MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #6346
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay871 View Post
I'm doing some baby backs and I am working on the 3-2-1 method. When I took the lid off to foil the temp spiked now I had to close the intakes almost all the way to bring the temp back down. Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this. The thing was sailing great at 225* until I took the lid off.
Yeah, man, this is the danger. I have used mine a couple times only, but I learned fast. You can read back in this thread for others' experiences, but the best idea is to shut all intakes for a couple minutes before removing the lid......this stabilizes the charcoal burn, and shuts down the draft before you take the lid off. Once the lid is off, try to hurry to do whatever it is you are doing, and get that lid back on quick, and resume previous intake settings.

The alternative is to take the lid off, and take the meat outside of the cooker to do your thing, and keep the lid on while doing it. This will reduce your temp spikes considerably.

One thing I encountered in my cooks was excessive thick smoke and resulting creosote flavors from having the temp go way up and way down because of my lid removals. Best to keep the lid on and let the cooker do its thing. High temp spikes will really toughen up those ribs, if it gets too hot for too long.

Dave
smokindave74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #6347
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindave74 View Post
The alternative is to take the lid off, and take the meat outside of the cooker to do your thing, and keep the lid on while doing it. This will reduce your temp spikes considerably.

Dave
Yep. That's what I do. It's not ideal, but taking the food out to work on it and keeping the lid on the smoker varries meat temperatures a lot less than a spiked fire - IMHO. I've been doing it this way since I built my UDS about 3 months ago and haven't had any spike issues at all to speak of.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #6348
duramax
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have two windows open on my computer, reading this thread up to 95 on one window and down to 390 on the other. Wow i'm so confused.
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #6349
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Or just forget about the foil altogether. To me and I only mean me is learn to cook ribs without foil. Think about it foil hasn't been around forever.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #6350
BIG_DEANS_QUE
Knows what a fatty is.

So here is the begginings of my UDS

Drum... Had salad oil in it no liner.. Now the real question do i have to do a burn out or and other seasoning since it was salad oil in it ????

Coal Basket... Have a good friend that is a welder do all the welding for the box

The inside of the drum no burn salad oil

All fitings for air flow are in they arent quite 2" from the bottem tho will that be ok?
2 Cap air flow
1 Ball Lock air flow

It had a sealed top that he chisled off but couldnt be saved. But Walmart has a chargril BBQ with a 22.6" Lid i assume this would work just fine and i can use the grates from it also? And well its only 40$. Total money spen would be around 80$

Old 07-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #6351
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Big Dean,
Before you drop $40 on a new grill as a donor, I'd check out Craig's List first. You can usually find a cheap Weber that somone's done with for $25 or less. The grates may need a little TLC, but those are easy to clean and/or cheap to replace.

As for the burn out, since it was a bare drum with vegetable oil already in it, I'd say just season it as is. A good hot (500*+) charcoal fire for a couple of hours should do the trick nicely I'd think.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #6352
BIG_DEANS_QUE
Knows what a fatty is.

Southern thanks much bud. I will get that fire goin soon as i dont have to work lol the next few days and ill let u know how it went. Another question should i use LARD or Peanut oil? or Something else? And i just rub it all down and start the burn right?

Old 07-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #6353
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

2" from the bottom should be ok. congrats on getting an unlined drum.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #6354
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_DEANS_QUE View Post
Southern thanks much bud. I will get that fire goin soon as i dont have to work lol the next few days and ill let u know how it went. Another question should i use LARD or Peanut oil? or Something else? And i just rub it all down and start the burn right?
Depends... how much of that "salad oil" is still left in the drum? You may not need anything else.

Take a paper towel and rub it around the inside of the drum. If it's sticky or if the towel comes out oily, you're good to go. If you don't get anything on the towel, then just spray the inside liberally with a cooking spray.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #6355
toddrod
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
All of the best ideas from this thread!

By imn88fan
How do you connect that rod to the ball valve and back to the handle again at the top? Is it soldered / welded? The stub on mine is brass
toddrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #6356
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrod View Post
How do you connect that rod to the ball valve and back to the handle again at the top? Is it soldered / welded? The stub on mine is brass
A Harbor freight valve has a brass stud that is metric. A 5/16" allthread coupling nut screws on with a little persuasion, then drill and pin it to valve. Then 1/4" rod tacked to coupling nut and then to ground down 5/16" bolt to fit valve off handle. Search "Big Belly mod Norco"

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #6357
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=2486

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=1177

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #6358
pAT_13
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
...expanded metal sheets 24"x24", at the right gauge. What I did was cut the sheet in half giving me two 12"x12" sheets.
That's a neat trick, when I cut mine in half I get two 24X12" sheets.
pAT_13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #6359
duramax

This just keeps getting better.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #6360
duramax

I'm having trouble finding the Weber grill , for cheap or free.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker