MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #4426
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crundle View Post
Oh, here is the pdf that I got from a guy on the aussiehomebrewer.com forum about cooking temps and times. I think the times are fairly right (at least for beer can chicken so I am extrapolating that the rest are roughly in the zone), but the temps seem a bit low for chicken so I am guessing they are a bit low overall.

This probably came from this forum originally anyway, but a google search of the forum came up with nothing like it.

cheers,

Crundle
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOne View Post
Wow a temperature chart I can actually fully relate to!!!! It's not in them F(unny) degrees.

for peps that like F(unny) temps 110*C = 230*F 120*C = 248*F 115*C = 239*F 85*C = 185*F 90*C = 194*F 75*C = 176*F
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #4427
Typically
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motley que View Post
If you are Steve Miller, I'd'take the money and run
hahahahahaha

Old 10-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #4428
manicmndy
Found some matches.

http://wyntk.us/smoking-times-and-temperatures

Here is a link that might help for this side of the pond.
manicmndy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #4429
GusRobin
Got Wood.

Have a question: Read all (or mostly all) of the threads and gathering parts to make my first UDS. I am still looking for a weber kettle lid. Maybe I can buy one but am looking for a free used one. I was going to burn the drum but had a question on doing the first seasoning. If I burn and wash out, will I risk more rust, etc if I have to wait a while to season the drum due to current lack of lid (closed top drum with the top cut off.)
Thanks
GusRobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #4430
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Gus throw a chicken in there and you'll have nothin to worry about. If you don't have a lid do keep it covered till ya get one. Rust will be covered by grease soon enough.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #4431
keith026
Found some matches.

I hate to ask a question that I'm sure has been brought up a number of time, but so far I'm only 125 pages into this thread. :)

I love the Drum smokers you guys are making, and want one (or two) for myself. I'm pretty excited about this project so I did what anyone would do ran out and bought the first 3 barrels I could find. Now I'm having second thoughts.

The problem is I'm not 100% sure what was in these. When I open them there is an extremely faint smell of paint or something similiar. I took a number of pics so hopefully you guys and either give me the ok or the no go. There is some surface rust on the inside of the drums and when I touch the inside of the barrels they are coated with black dust. I was planning on getting a weedburner and burning out the barrels then using a drill to scrub them down.

Here are the pic's what do you think?

Thanks for the help,

Keith
keith026 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #4432
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Gus, just a suggestion but might work. Once you burn and clean the drum get some grease of some sort and coat the inside of the drum immediately. One of my favorite is butter flavored Crisco. As long as you seal the top until you get a lid, you shouldn't have a rust problem. Seasoning on a drum is not a real issue. Any fire at normal smoking temps will do that. Let us know what you do...remember pics bro.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 01:23 AM   #4433
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would burn, clean with a detergent. I use regular tide and as hot water as I can get. The reason i do this is any unburned oils and such will run down into crimped seam at bottom. Strong tide mix is cheap , safe and easily obtainable. I blow out with compressed air, shop vac or likes and spray with pam or coat at Meat suggested.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #4434
Burk504
Knows what a fatty is.

A follow up on my earlier post about having trouble burning out the lining in my barrel.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=4328

I am still having issues (i think). I burned a good 20 sticks of oak in this baby last weekend and still don't think the lining is totally out. As night fell, I could see a light ring around the barrel glowing red from the heat. I thought this was a sure sign she was hot enough, but once she cooled I can still see some liner in the top half of the barrel. Still looks similar to the pics in the link above.

1) If she got hot enough to glow red, should I just ignore the little bit of liner still in there?

2) has anyone ever laid the barrel on its side while burning? This would force the sides to get really hot. Burn it for a while and then roll it a little bit. Repeat until the whole thing is done.

3) is it ok to use pine logs to burn it out? I know that will burn hotter, but don't know if the pine sap will leave some weird flavors in their?

SIDE NOTE: I live in an 'uppity' neighborhood in the DC suburbs and my neighbors absolutely think I am INSANE! I can see them glaring out their windows as I throw logs and yard scraps into a freakin' barrel that is now starting to show signs of rust on the outside. I must get this thing completed so that I can produce some grub that will redeem my reputation. Otherwise, someone is gonna call the fire marshall on me!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #4435
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
Gus, just a suggestion but might work. Once you burn and clean the drum get some grease of some sort and coat the inside of the drum immediately. One of my favorite is butter flavored Crisco. As long as you seal the top until you get a lid, you shouldn't have a rust problem. Seasoning on a drum is not a real issue. Any fire at normal smoking temps will do that. Let us know what you do...remember pics bro.
I don't think there is anything wrong with a little rust. Personally, I consider it a "safety indicator." If it rusts, its down to bare steel. I wouldn't bother getting it off either. A little surface rust is kind of like rubbing mustard on a butt: It provides a substrate for the barrel seasoning to adhere to.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #4436
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Burk:

I think oak or hickory will burn hotter than pine as they are denser woods but I dougt the temperature difference is a hughe factor. . And yes, pine can leave a bad residue. Next time, avoid those epoxy-lined barrells.

Does your drum already have air inlet holes at the bottom? They're necessary to really burn hot.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #4437
Burk504
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Does your drum already have air inlet holes at the bottom? They're necessary to really burn hot.
Yes...I have 4 - 13/16th holes.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #4438
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Sure turn it on it's side and burn some more..... or get a drum like mine:

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #4439
tubadude
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Sure turn it on it's side and burn some more..... or get a drum like mine:

Paul B
Paul...you are one LUCKY farker to have such a great SS UDS...Man oh man...that thing is sweet!!!
tubadude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #4440
schellter
Full Fledged Farker

Paul,

I find that stainless is hard to keep looking nice, my SS Weber always looks like it needs work. How do you keep your SSDS looking so bright and shinny?

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker