Invisible Smoke

Brontoburger

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
When I was doing a brisket the other day I confirmed something I'd suspected for a while: CLEAR SMOKE! I was being very careful with the smoke since I was using mesquite, an aggressive flavor, and had been told by a couple of people that my bbq tasted too smoky for them. Now, I am able to achieve and maintain sweet blue smoke consistently. I had put in a chunk of mesquite. I watched it smoke for a few minutes, then the smoke stopped. Opened the box figuring to jostle the coals. Same thing: blue smoke for 5 minutes or so then nothing. I should mention that I'm using a WSM.

So I stood where I could get a good face full of the exhaust and sure enough, nice strong unmistakable mesquite smell. Just nothing at all visible in the air. I knew there was wood in there in contact with the coals. If I open the dampers and throttle up the temp it'll start rolling blue then white. This has only happened since I've been using the WSM. Wood chunks burn so clean that they just about become lump charcoal. It's like.....like zen smoke man. It's beautiful. Like I said, I had seen this happen before with other woods like cherry. I had thought: no visible smoke=add more wood. This time I didn't add more wood until I was sure that the previous chunk had burned out. Maybe that's why my Q tasted too smoky to some. (I've also been told that my bbq was the best anyone's ever tasted, so while I do like a nice smoky flavor, I'm chalking the criticism up to personal taste.)

So my lesson is that if there's wood in the fire, just because you can't see smoke doesn't mean it isn't doing its' job. Seriously though, the meat came out fantastic. This was my third brisket and this time I nailed it!

The term smoked meat is misleading. We are bbqing, smoke (flavor) is a byproduct of the process. I don't want any visible smoke on the food. Guess the smoke ninja likes ninja smoke.

A clean burning fire, with no visible smoke, will still give you a nice smokey flavor.
That is what we shoot for a good flavor that is not over bearing in the smoke department. At least in my opinion

I can link you to the timing.
Three cocktails and the smoke is invisible.

Don't ask me how I know this....

In the beginning I did not know about blue smoke and the food was bitter As I progressed I learned less is definately better

Welcome to a clean burning fire and SWEET BLUE. The quality of your BBQ will go WAY up as a result.

Bad pic, but it is more visible the farther you get back:

Yup I always say if you can't breathe in the exhaust it's too dirty.

Less is more for sure. I used to get so disappointed when I started, dialed back A LOT and food was instantly better. A couple weeks ago made chicken legs for a poker game on my gas grill. Soaked apple and hickory chips and put them in a smoker box to infuse some flavor. All my buddies were giving me a hard time because there was no smoke coming from the box, but you could smell a subtle hint of it in the air. When these chicken legs were done I took a bite and was amazed at how sweet the smokey taste was. When I took the box off the next morning the chips had started to turn black, most were a dark brown. Not sure if I got lucky because I have been unable to repeat the success, but less is more and I will always try!

Perfectly normal, that means you're doing it right! I usually put my food on right as white is crossing over to fine blue and have never been disappointed with the flavor. I've also waited until 100% clean as in barely any blue unless at the right angle and the flavor was identical to me so I quit wasting time waiting until it was 100% perfect.

Wow! I feel like I've reached some new level of barbecue enlightenment. Snatch the pebble from the master's hand and now it's time for me to go.

Back