You've done it now Cowgirl

mikemci

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well, thanks to Cowgirl's post on tamales, I've taken the plunge into the world of tamales! This is something I've always thought would be a fun thing to try and Jeanie's recent post just gave me the little push that I needed. So...here we go!!! Materials gathered. Will do this tomorrow and keep everyone updated. Thanks Jeanie!

Wait, you can buy lard?

Well, thanks to Cowgirl's post on tamales, I've taken the plunge into the world of tamales! This is something I've always thought would be a fun thing to try and Jeanie's recent post just gave me the little push that I needed. So...here we go!!! Materials gathered. Will do this tomorrow and keep everyone updated. Thanks Jeanie!

Mike that's great!! :becky:
Do you have a filling picked out yet?
I'm looking forward to seeing what you make!

The producers who grow Berkshire pigs and other heirloom breeds sell lard on line. It is a superior product by far than the supermarket stuff.
I don't have a link, but a google search should do. It has been a couple of years since I bought lard, but it does have it's uses. I have been making my own recently.

Mike that's great!! :becky:
Do you have a filling picked out yet?
I'm looking forward to seeing what you make!

My wife and I both like chicken tamales. I've got 3 leg quarters and some breasts boiled and marinating overnight. I put the chicken in a boiling pot with salt, onions and garlic. Strained the liquid and chopped the onion and garlic and added it to the shredded chicken along with a can of rotel tomatoes. Added Plowboy's Yardbird, black pepper and comino. Saved the boiling liquid and will use it in the masa recipe, along with some water, to give added flavor to the masa. Wish me luck! Will keep you posted.:grin:

My wife and I both like chicken tamales. I've got 3 leg quarters and some breasts boiled and marinating overnight. I put the chicken in a boiling pot with salt, onions and garlic. Strained the liquid and chopped the onion and garlic and added it to the shredded chicken along with a can of rotel tomatoes. Added Plowboy's Yardbird, black pepper and comino. Saved the boiling liquid and will use it in the masa recipe, along with some water, to give added flavor to the masa. Wish me luck! Will keep you posted.:grin:

Mike that sounds fantastic!! Good luck! :mrgreen:

Back