Another masterpiece from Shirley Fabrication

2001Heel

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I finally got my hands on my smoker from Shirley Fabrication about two weeks ago but I've had to let it sit idle unfortunately due to vacation and work. Not any longer. Today was the maiden voyage. This is my first true stick burner so there is going to be a learning curve. However, I have been amazed how easy it is to get a fire going and maintain a temp with this monster. Paul gave me some pointers, which helped out a good bit.

If you are considering a RF, you are doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't give Paul a call. The work he and Tyler do along with their commitment to ensuring you get exactly what you want will not be matched by anyone out there...I guarantee it.

Now, on to the pictures...

Sadly, the ugliest thing on this pit is the propane tank...I'll have to get that doctored up some. In the pic below you can see the added propane tank holder and burner, which works great for getting the fire going.

I asked for one solid door so I could have continuous grates for cooking a whole hog. I was afraid the door would be too heavy and I didn't want a counterweight. It's heavy, but certainly manageable.

This is a good shot of the extra storage space Paul added for me.

My first fire...so sentimental...

I also added a damper from the main cooking chamber to the warmer and from the warmer to the firebox in case I wanted some high heat. From what I can tell, both were good additions because they give me a ton of flexibility in managing my temps in the "warmer."

I had planned to just season the smoker today but as I got it hot I realized my conscience simply wouldn't allow me to do so...Therefore I made a quick run to the store to grab a few chickens and a tri-tip. I needed something quick so this was the choice. Tri-tip will go on later today, but the chickens christened the smoker first, as you can see.

Simply stated, if you're in the market for a smoker, call Paul. You won't be disappointed.

Nice rig! You will love it! It will run as good as any other smoker out there. I cooked in a comp earlier this month with brethren awscwi and his SF and it ran just as good as my BG. They build a fine cooker.

Looks amazing. I thought there would be a learning curve on mine since the last stick burner I had was a COS 3 years ago, but once the fire is rolling you just add a stick every 45min-1hr and it cruises along. I like running mine hot around 300-325.

Looks amazing. I thought there would be a learning curve on mine since the last stick burner I had was a COS 3 years ago, but once the fire is rolling you just add a stick every 45min-1hr and it cruises along. I like running mine hot around 300-325.

My cooker seems to be very comfortable in the 300-325 range which is hotter than I normally cook. That said, I'll either learn to dial it back a bit to 275 or just learn to roll at the temp it wants to run.

Congrats!

My first cooks I ran around 250-275 with ease, since that was what I was used to with my old Brinkmann. However, I just did a Bludawg style brisket last week and she held 300-325 without even thinking about moving from that range (brisket turned out fabulous as well). My splits are smaller, so I added one every 30 min. Either low or high temp, these babys from SF don't care one bit, they'll run it!

If I was to get a trailer rig, that right there is exactly what I would get. Love the single door and I really love the warmer box intake mods. Looks like a very versatile cooker - very, very nicely done sir! :clap2:

How even is the temperature from left to right?

Still working on that piece... In today's run it averaged a difference of about 25 degrees but as I played with the height of the tongue it started to stabilize a little. I think I got it about 10 degrees off towards the end of the cook when I finally started working on that aspect.

Back