sliced brisket point?

gotbags-10

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hey guys first time poster here. Love the site. So I'm not necessarily new to smoking but fairly new to brisket. Only done about 6 of them. I usually cut my point up for burnt ends but I want to try it either sliced or possibly even pulled. Anyone here do it this way? Also as far as cooking it I assume its going to take longer than the flat because of all the fat to cook out. Normally my flats are done anywhere from 190-200ish. Is this the same for a point? Should I expect it to take a lot longer than the flat to cook or maybe an hour or two? Sorry for the questions just want to try and plan my cook out accordingly.

^^^^^ what he said^^^^^
Franklin shows how to do it perfectly! Awesome video!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU&sns=em"]BBQ with Franklin: The Payoff - YouTube[/ame]
The point IMO is for the real brisket lover if properly cooked.

I do not serve the point in any other way but sliced. I like to separate the flat and wrap it, then put the point back on the cooker for about an hour. Not necessary, but, better IMO. I much prefer it sliced than chunked or pulled.

I do unfortunately cook my point and flat separate due to pakers not fitting in my smoker. So would this still apply? Cook the flat until probe tender and then maybe leave the point on for another hour to finish? Thanks again.

I would cook the point until it feels very soft, gel like. Hard for me to say how long, as I cook packers.

I Cook brisket just for the point meat the flats go the the uneducated, Would you rather have a Ribeye( Point meat) or Round Steak( Flat meat)

Mmmm Sliced Point Samich

DSCF0020.jpg

so I should be looking for a gel like feel to tell when the point is done or should I be looking for probe tender?

Believe it or not, I've tasted some pulled point that's really good. Big Hoffa's BBQ (just north of Indy) serves it pulled and people love it. This is assuming you're talking about backyard and not competition.

Thanks for all the help! I will be doing two points and two flats next week so I will be sure to post some pics of results. As for a UDS build I thought about it but I'm actually working on a backwoods clone right now. I'll make sure to start a thread.

so I should be looking for a gel like feel to tell when the point is done or should I be looking for probe tender?
its ready when you can stick your finger into it, not anytime before. learned that little trick from my bbq mentor. lol it seriously works. dont keep it in there too long because..... :oops: remember when you make these killer briskets, they technically didnt happen without pics. hehe

Probe method (the normal one where you use a metal skewer or thermo probe) will not work on point. It sort of wiggles a bit when you cook it right. I have never decided to jab my finger into a piece of meat that is likely +200F, but, I am sure that would work.

If I was all about the bark, I'd be doing burnt ends. But I'm not that much of a "bark" person, so I like my point sliced. For me, there's no better way. Delicious! :thumb:

I haven't ever checked the point for tender or temp but I bet the temp would read butter when done just like the flat. I've also been told when you can stick your finger in the flat it's done, but lately I've been using a thermometer to feel for hot knife in butter in the middle of the flat and it works really well doesn't read it just says butter.

Broken thermometer with one temp reading butter...don't poke through the bottom of your butcher paper.
IMG_20130326_201513.jpg

Sliced point is were it's at I did burnt ends once and it wasn't for me.
20130223_150525.jpg

20130223_150625.jpg

I have to agree, I've never run into burnt ends in Texas, except for one place I came across where they served the sliced brisket with all the bark removed and threw the chopped up outside pieces into baskets on the counter for free samples. I loved the things but the crustless slices tended to dry out pretty quick so a lot of sauce got used in that place. That said, I'm planning on trying my hand at some burnt ends from this weekend's brisket. Aaron Franklin says the butt end of the point is the best part of a brisket, so I'll probably just use a portion of the other part.

My first few brisket cooks I was cutting up the point for burnt ends because I didn't know any better. After going with some advice from this site, I tried it sliced. Probably one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth and that is saying a lot. Not to say I wouldn't ever cube it up again for burnt ends, but not anytime soon. Sooooo good!

Do you guys think sliced point would work in competitions?

Back