MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Pork Box

Here's one of my recent pork turn-ins. I changed it up a little to include more pulled pork in an effort to please the judges. Just curious what you all think. Do you like the slices together or fanned out? More chunks, less pulled, etc? Thanks for looking.

Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

I like to see the 3 different presentations separated so it's easier for the judges to get their samples. Having the pulled underneath the bark/chunks will make it a bit more difficult & messier. I do like the money muscle fanned but what you have here is okay too. It all appears to be very moist. Maybe a little too moist?? I'd probably give it a 7 or 8 as it stands right now. Cheers!!!

Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

I think it is a little on the moist side as well. The pulled molded like that almost looks like a gelatin. I also like the MM fanned out so I can see the internal meat. 7 for me.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Id say look at your notes... but I think you have beat my ass the last couple of times we have competed. As someone else stared, I like to see the 3 types of pork you are turning in, instead of the chunks on top of the pulled.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I dont mind the look of the smaller pieces under the chunks. It's probably messier later, but that doesn't change its appearance score. Honestly, IMHO, the MM really needs to be fanned out, otherwise you run the risk of it looking like a turd, and not too many people that I know of find turds profoundly appetizing.

In general it looks a little over-sauced and the bottom pulled pieces look or appear to
be very greasy. There's a difference in being moist and being greasy, these look greasy.

6 or 7, benefit of doubt, 7.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks - it does look a little too moist. I didn't even think about the difficulty of getting to the pulled, but that does make sense. As for the muscle...I used to fan it but then got in my head that it would dry out so I started putting it in as one piece. My scores have been all over in pork so I'm scratching my head and probably doing too much thinking.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
...not too many people that I know of find turds profoundly appetizing.
Unless they're ABTs.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
walrus79
On the road to being a farker

Maybe I'm the exception, but I'd go solid 8, maybe 9. It looks well put together. The parsley looks clean, balanced and even. Understanding as a cook the difficulties of cutting out money muscle and keeping it solid and uniform rings with me here. That said, I did the same exact thing with re: the MM two contest ago and then switched to fanning it out last time (to the tune of better scores, all 8s and 9s). The bed of pulled under chunks look nice, albeit over sauced (where I would maybe take that point away). The fact that my little hands might get dirty gathering my chunk and pulled should have absolutely NO bearing on judging the meat as presented!

Old 09-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with most of the above posts. Fan out the MM, don't hide the pulled under the chunks, and take it easy on the sauce! First impression is an 8. We don't get very long to study a box at the table so I generally go with my first impression. Looks appetizing, but could look better.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks again. The box got 4 8s and 2 7s. I think that sounds fairly in line with the comments here.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-B-Q View Post
Thanks again. The box got 4 8s and 2 7s. I think that sounds fairly in line with the comments here.
sorry butt i think 8 or 9s . pretty tight box
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->