MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Maverick et-732 Thermometer - New Probe Coming!

I have been using this new unit from Maverick. I love it and I love the story of how they listened to the pit pros out there and modified their older design to come out with the 732. Nice when a company listens to its customers.

I have two little issues with the system. The remote unit really has no ability to be clipped to your belt or pants. Working on a home made mod for that detail

The other issue is the pit probe. It's temperature limited at 570. No problem for smoking, but what if I want to monitor the grill as it comes up to temp for pizza etc?

Well I called Maverick today and they have a new probe coming online in June. Just swap oyt the old pit probe for the new one which will be much higher temp rated. How cool is that?

Now if I could just connect a Stoker or Guru to this I'd be all set...
TedW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Just ordered my 732 from Amazon yesterday. Probe finally gave out on my et-73 so that gave me an excuse.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

You'll like it

Old 04-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

yeah, I can't wait..

Old 04-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Hmmmm. I am really happy they are doing this, but I have to wonder...

I used my maverick 732 maybe 4 times and one of the probes died on me despite the fact that I am VERY gentle on them. I called and they replaced it no questions asked (good for them.) But I have to wonder, the thing has only been on the market barely 3 months and they are already redesigning the probes and going to have them ready to ship in June? ...for free?

Isn't that almost more like a recall than anything else?
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

I wan't told they were going to be free. I assumed they were not, but there I go assuming again

Old 04-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
Dave S
On the road to being a farker

I love my ET-732 although I have only been using it for low cooks (under 280 degrees). I have been real happy with it. I will still insert my dial thermometer into the vent hole of the cover of my weber and it is interesting to see the differences between the temp at the grate surface vs the temp at the cover.
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

I've become sort of a thermometer-o-phile. I love measuring everything. Got my new IR thermometer today, bought two Tel-Tru's, a Thermapen, and my Maverick 732. I have more for kitchen cooking...

Looking at a DIY blower controller

Old 04-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedW View Post
I've become sort of a thermometer-o-phile. I love measuring everything. Got my new IR thermometer today, bought two Tel-Tru's, a Thermapen, and my Maverick 732. I have more for kitchen cooking...

Looking at a DIY blower controller
Only 1 Thermapen?
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

Hahahahahaha!!!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
Grafixgibbs
is one Smokin' Farker

I have been debating getting one of these. Is it worth it? Is this the dual pit and meat probe?

BBQ is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

KCBS Member
CBJ
55 gallon Texas Grill (deceased), CS-680 Louisiana Grill, Charbroil R2 unit, Weber Performer
Grafixgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
Dave S
On the road to being a farker

I think it is worth it. It has really helped me although I am using a Weber Kettle for smoking so my temperature fluctuations are a lot greater than what you would find in a dedicated smoker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafixgibbs View Post
I have been debating getting one of these. Is it worth it? Is this the dual pit and meat probe?
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #13
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedW View Post

The other issue is the pit probe. It's temperature limited at 570. No problem for smoking, but what if I want to monitor the grill as it comes up to temp for pizza etc?

Well I called Maverick today and they have a new probe coming online in June. Just swap oyt the old pit probe for the new one which will be much higher temp rated. How cool is that?
I have sent this over to my Competition Teammate who is the Operations Manager for Maverick for a better clarification.

From what I have been told, the June shipment is for spare probes. These are the same probes that come with the ET-732 no difference. Just like with the ET-73 you can put a extra food probe in the smoker jack and now have a thermometer with two food probes.

Currently on the ET-732 Both probe wires are heat resistant to 716 F and the receiver displays barbecue temperature up to 572 F.

Ted do you know who you spoke with at Maverick?
[B]The BBQ Equipment Store[/B]
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
bggarric
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafixgibbs View Post
I'd second that it's worth it. I'm definitely a big amateur as far as cooking/smoking go. But it really is nice to have the alarms set on the thermometer, or just to be able to glance at the receiver rather than walk out and stab the meat 80 times during the course of a 12 hour cook for temp readings.
bggarric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #15
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Definitely worth the money. The only problem I have with my et-73 is the range is horrible. That and it doesn't give you any kind of notification when you lose the signal from the transmitter, and would display the temp when you lost the signal. Can be very deceiving.

They seemed to have remedied both those issues with the 732.. Up to 300' range from the transmitter, audible lost signal notification, as well as probes rated to a much higher temp, although I never had a problem with my probes, even at 375 for poultry, well until the meat probe died recently, but it probably lasted for close to 100 cooks, which seems reasonable. Anyone find out the price for replacement probes for the 732?