MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-21-2004, 06:10 PM   #1
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default FL State Championship and new judges

Well, Tim Cochran, my wife Anne, and I am registered for the FL BBQ Association judge's training at the FL state cookoff Oct 29-30. Looks like we are all "on the bubble" to be judges, too! :D

Nothing like getting to see the top teams in the state all at one time and get to see, touch, and taste it ALL!! Jump right in

We should learn a TON!! I'm thinking our next outing just might move us up in the ranks a bit -- at least I would hope so!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2004, 11:19 PM   #2
parrothead

Great opportunity. Grab all the info you can.[url]

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2004, 05:04 PM   #3
chad

Tim and I are now certified judges for the FL BBQ Association! Anne also attended the training but we had our 12 year old with us so she ran herd on him today rather than let him loose in a carnival for 4 hours. I'm hoping she can be certified in January!

Met some folks, learned some things -- still don't have the "winning solution" but at least we have some idea of what the rest of the association is cooking. Naturally, we were at different tables so we got to look at a total of 11 boxes between us. We were all encouraged to talk amongst ourselves AFTER each category -- learned a lot. Our table captain, of course, took a look at all the score sheets as we turned in and would ask why someone was high or low just so we could all sanity check ourselves.

Overall scoring was pretty tight but there was outstanding to "you gotta be kidding me" food in all categories.

Nothing jumped up and told me we couldn't produce winning que -- so we'll be regrouping and on running the FBA cirucit in 2005 - getting to as many events as we can.

We also got some ideas about rigs, rig configuration, trucks, concession setups, etc. I'm negotiating with a builder for a cooker and concession setup - hopefully I'll get the first estimate next week. Tim and I are really looking hard at concession/vending at these events - if we have the help (read that as the spouses) to help us do the sales we should be able to easily make up meat and registration costs -- and probably line the coffers at bigger events.

We're working through menu options and let's just say we won't be selling $2.00 ribs in a hot dog tray! :D

Overall, a pretty good weekend!

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),

Old 10-30-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

DF
If you havent already, drop Midnight a line

I could swear it was he who was doing the "festival trailer" stuff.

even posted pictures, if I recall

good luck!!

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2004, 11:25 PM   #5
CinCity25
Got Wood.

sounds like a great day.....i'm glad you enjoyed it! i've been thinking of heading stateside for a judging seminar but they seem to come far enough north for me!

The Original Pit-Bitch of the North
What Have You Been Smokin'?
Guelph, ON Canada
CinCity25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2004, 07:11 AM   #6
Solidkick

I was thinking last night, "I hope DF and Tim have posted about the judging classes", get up this morning and my thoughts have been answered.

Thanks! Good luck next year! I know you'll do the Brethren proud.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2004, 07:34 AM   #7
BigBelly
is one Smokin' Farker

Good luck on your possible business venture DF. Please let us know how you fare on this idea of yours. I too have been trying to flesh out this stage of a business plan.

Family BBQ and Catering
~: Proud Bandera Owner :~
BigBelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2004, 08:01 AM   #8
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Ditto to what DF said.
The experience was worth it's weight in Brisket.
Learned a lot and saw the entire range of "excellence"
Had a team DQ for bloody chicken on one end and I gave my only 10s to the final brisket sample! Truly outstanding (but not as tender, moist, and tasty as DF's).
The big lesson was that scoring is a crapshoot and my hats are off to anyone who can do well consistantly.
Also learned that the regional judges down here want browm stuff and little sauce (except for one judge).
DF and I do not need to cook better, we need to cook brown stuff and will do great.
Anyone who gets a chance to do this in there area--do it-
TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2004, 08:19 PM   #9
chad

I have no idea if I ate their food but Grand Champion was Jack's Old South and Reserve was HomeBBQ.com -- no real surprises there!! :D

Old 10-31-2004, 08:37 PM   #10
BrooklynQ
Banned

Dave. I'd love to see an "inside the judge's tent post from you. I'm interested to see how your experiences differed from mine in CT.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2004, 08:49 PM   #11
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
Dave. I'd love to see an "inside the judge's tent post from you. I'm interested to see how your experiences differed from mine in CT.
Hmm, it's tough to define "inside the judge's tent" because I'm a compeitor first and judge second.

We set up like KCBS -- one judge on each end of the table and four on one side - the table captain can then do his thing from the other side.

I had a couple of real experienced judges (one became our first Master judge with at least 20 competitions, 5 table captain sessions and at least one cook team experience over 3 years). Our table captain has done over 14 competitions and 4 table captain sessions, etc.

The food was presented the same as KCBS - the only difference is FBA does not allow ANY garnish in the box. Criteria is generally the same: appearance, taste, and tenderness. We do the meats one at a time and score each before moving on to the next.

It was interesting watching faces during a category - especially if a box was weird - we had one brisket box with real strong vinegar flavor and a pork box that looked like chunked up loin instead of butt or shoulder -- facial expressions were easy to read in those cases.

Everyone pretty much abided by the no talking rules until after the category was finished. Lot's of good chatter between meats and reminders to judge each box on it's own merit, etc.

Overall a great experience. I'll definately judge in the future. I prefer cooking but ya gotta pay your dues!! :D

Old 11-01-2004, 06:59 AM   #12
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Guess I could add a bit more.
My table had a great Table Captain and 4 judges with varied levels of experience, plus me and one other NEWBIE.
I am fortunate to have many years as an evaluator and was very comfortable in this role for BBQ. Evaluation is supposed to be a matter of taking the rules and the guidance ,looking at the "situation" with no pre-conceived notions, and then rendering judgement. I was careful to avoid comparing the meat prepared by DF or me, at keast until after the score was entered.
I really wish I could say all the Judges did the same. All but one at my table seemed to be objective and really "think it thru". Unfortunatley, on Judge was there to fill the leftover bag and wanted lots of sauce on everything. That judge thought that meat the consistency of mashed potatoes was perfect. The other new judge was still caught in the excitement of "real BBQ" and gave mostly 9's and 10's.
Overall, I feel the scoring was "creative" to the high side all around. I do think the best got scored as such most of the time. But, on the other end of the scale, the scores given were really high. But, our scoring system and the guidance given to new judges encourages high scores, so I guess it works for the region.
As it has been said often here, the judging remains a crapshoot. It would be a lot less of one if the judges were able to follow the guidlines. It will always be subjective, but there are bounds to how far we roam with personal preferences.
DF and I worked with a only 10 of the 30 Judges there and my experience with this one judge was probably unique to the room.
Also--someone down here decided that a little vinegar injection was good. A couple of other teams decided a bunch of vinegar must be better. HINT- if you open the box and vinegar burns your eyes, ya probably are using too much. 2 of our brisket boxes were this way and downgraded "way down" into the 8's
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2004, 08:14 AM   #13
BrooklynQ
Banned

Thanks for the info guys.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2004, 12:29 PM   #14
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Thats funny. "Way down" into the 8's

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote