MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default KCBS Board of Directors Campaigns

Something I mentioned about regular ol' cooks taking back the BOD got me thinking about an idea to help make that happen if anyone else agrees. I will be willing to donate my time to assist with the campaigns and create a Web site for any person nominated to run for BOD who is just a cook... no agenda other than returning the KCBS to it's original vision, stop the fighting, support the average Joe teams and basically do what's right! We don't need people elected because they are businessmen, attorneys or whatever. It is my opinion (and the opinion of several others I've talked to) that those of us who compete week in and week out are the best qualified to direct the organization we make up.

It's time to step up to the plate and make a difference. If you are seriously interested in running for the BOD, don't wait until the KCBS starts calling for nominations. Make a decision and let's get the candidacy out there ASAP. The more time folks know you're interested, the better chance you have.

Through all the KCBS BOD discussions here and other places, I've seen it frequently said that we just talk about it and don't really do much to change things and that if someone really wants improvement, to stop complaining and act. This is just an offer to help. I'll even pay for the Web site and promote it. I don't even HAVE to agree with all of your ideas (although it would help ). Let's try to make a difference rather than paying lip service to bringing peace and positive relationships back to the KCBS.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Divemaster

While I'm not interested in running (distance and time are major factors for me), I do agree with you on getting more involved.

If I can help, let me know...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Something I mentioned about regular ol' cooks taking back the BOD got me thinking about an idea to help make that happen if anyone else agrees. I will be willing to donate my time to assist with the campaigns and create a Web site for any person nominated to run for BOD who is just a cook... no agenda other than returning the KCBS to it's original vision, stop the fighting, support the average Joe teams and basically do what's right! We don't need people elected because they are businessmen, attorneys or whatever. It is my opinion (and the opinion of several others I've talked to) that those of us who compete week in and week out are the best qualified to direct the organization we make up.
Not having been a long time KCBS member I'm curious; what specifically needs to change? (honest serious question PM answer if you like)
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289

Last edited by Slamdunkpro; 07-24-2009 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: small addition
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Not having been a long time KCBS member I'm curious; what specifically needs to change? (honest serious question PM answer if you like)
More Cow Bell

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Can you please post a listing of the current BoD and what category they would fall in (cook, interested fan, organizer, judge, etc.)?

Are cooks underrepresented on the board? Do you believe that there should be a certain percentage of BoD members from each 'category'?

What do you believe that a cook would bring to the BoD that others wouldn't?

Thanks!

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

You seem passionate about it Jeff and you're certainly knowledgeable on the issues...why not make a run for the office yourself?

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
EarlyBird
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig View Post
You seem passionate about it Jeff and you're certainly knowledgeable on the issues...why not make a run for the office yourself?
Yeah, thats it, Jeff for BOD. Can I get a second?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
clubjoe
On the road to being a farker

third it
Lang 60
Ole Hickory CTO
UDS twin pipe
[URL="http://www.rbuttsrsmokin.com"]www.rbuttsrsmokin.com[/URL]
clubjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

I think one thing the board is missing is executives from other verticals... IF we want our org run without emotional ties to decisions based on a pre-disposed position as an organizer/cook/judge, etc... Why not allow some business acumen to help drive decisions... like many other large corporations do?

Oh, and I fourth it :)

Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
A lot may just be my opinion but here's my take on things...

First off, the way I see things from outside the board room perspective, the fighting, bickering and disagreements must stop. I've seen several comments both here and on at least one other forum stating that it's embarassing to the organization and its members that our board has these problems and I can't completely disagree. I'm not 100% sure that embarassing is the word I'd use. I'd probably call it "unsettling" to members. No one wants their leadership to be constantly at odds. Look what we get with the party politics in government! The result is nothing really ever gets done. I think the thought of that being the case with KCBS is a concern of membership. At least it is for a section of membership who have been vocal about it. I believe a large portion of KCBS members really just want the disagreements, threats, etc. to go away.

Secondly, the idea that board meetings should somehow be secret and unavailable to the members bothers me. I realize the last meeting became more open with some limited phone lines available. Is that going to be permanent? Are they working towards allowing more expansive use of conference lines, podcasts, Internet broadcasts? In the near future, we should have the ability to allow ANY member to log on to a Web site, pick up a phone, whatever, to listen in on board meetings. This is the 21st century. Let's get it done!

Third, issues such as and similar to the pork cooking discussion - this is ridiculous! And this issue makes me wonder if anyone on the BOD still competes!!! (actually, the answer is pretty much a solid no) We live in a world where germs and food-borne illnesses are major concerns. To disallow the pork you're turning in to be placed back on a smoker or grill to keep hot til turn-in, ESPECIALLY when all three other categories can be heated after cooking doesn't seem to show much thought being put into this. PLUS with many other important issues out there, I think priorities are put in the wrong place. I was not at this meeting so I don't know how much energy was expended on this topic alone but it seems there's too much micro-managing. Allow it the same as the other categories, if for no other reason than because it's a health issue, and move on.

My fourth issue is the marketing deal we have and where our marketing company seems to want to take KCBS. Used to be, this was my number one issue. Lately, there's not a lot of mention of it and as such, it's kind of on the back burner for most of the membership. While nothing seems to be being forced down our throats as many of us thought about 18 months ago, what exactly IS the situation? What benefits are we seeing? What's our return on investment?

These are just some things off the top of my head. The biggest thing, though, is to just try to do what one LONG time KCBS member told me this evening over a couple of beers and dinner -- he said "We just want to have fun. That's what it was always supposed to be about."
KCBS Member #14287

Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
Can you please post a listing of the current BoD and what category they would fall in (cook, interested fan, organizer, judge, etc.)?

Are cooks underrepresented on the board? Do you believe that there should be a certain percentage of BoD members from each 'category'?

Thanks!

Eric
I don't know all of their "categories" but in my conversation tonight, my beliefs were confirmed when it was pointed out to me that since Rod resigned, the ONLY board member who really cooks is Mike Lake. Paul Kirk really doesn't compete much anymore. There are organizers and judges-turned-reps and just plain ol' reps. So to answer your question, less than 10% of the board is a current KCBS competing cook. So to answer your questions, yes, I believe and am sure cooks are WAY under-represented on the board... No, I don't believe there should be a certain percentage of each "category" on the board. I believe that ALL board members should be cooks or at least have at one time competed regularly. If you haven't, how can you know the ballgame from the cook's perspective and how can we expect them to represent our (as cooks) best interests? And what do I believe cooks would bring to the BoD that others would not? An understanding of what we cooks need and want our organization to be. As an example, I think COOKS would not allow the board to vote down allowing pork to be put back on the grill to set sauce or re-heat. Let me point something out to you - when I first got into competition BBQ, I quickly learned that comp cooks are some of the best people on the face of the planet! I was told this then, by virtue of competing regularly, the entire BBQ community proved it to me. Cooks help each other regardless of whether they're competing against each other. Cooks cheer for their friends when they win, even with the cook has had an off day. I think the Board should be the same way. If the same attitudes prevailed in the board room as they do at contests, this thread probably would not exist. So... I think that's what cooks could bring to the table.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 07-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #12
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig View Post
Currently, I serve as president of the Park Board here... time might be an issue.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 07-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
motoeric
Babbling Farker

From the best that I can tell, here is a breakdown of the BoD and where they fall if we were going to put them into specific categories. Please post if you have better info.

Rod Gray Cook
Carol Whitebook Event Rep?
Don Harwell Event Rep
Paul Kirk Cook
Gene Goycochea Cook?
Merle Whitebook Event Rep
Steve Ownby Judge?
Linda Mullane Event Rep
Wayne Lohman Judge?
Ed Roith Judge?
Tana Shupe Organizer?

It looks like out of 11 BoD members, we have 3 cooks, 4 event reps, 3 judges and 1 organizer.

Maybe we need more organizers on the board.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
Jeff_in_KC

Rod is no longer on the board. Paul rarely competes these days from what I was told. I also was told Gene is mostly a rep but I am not sure. Linda is a judge turned rep. You left off Mike Lake (and a couple of others). Mike is about the only cook.

Quote:
From the best that I can tell, here is a breakdown of the BoD and where they fall if we were going to put them into specific categories. Please post if you have better info.

Rod Gray Cook
Carol Whitebook Event Rep?
Don Harwell Event Rep
Paul Kirk Cook
Gene Goycochea Cook?
Merle Whitebook Event Rep
Steve Ownby Judge?
Linda Mullane Event Rep
Wayne Lohman Judge?
Ed Roith Judge?
Tana Shupe Organizer?

It looks like out of 11 BoD members, we have 3 cooks, 4 event reps, 3 judges and 1 organizer.

Maybe we need more organizers on the board.

Eric
KCBS Member #14287

Old 07-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #15
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Thanks!

Eric
Mike Lake is a cooker from Shannon IL. Rod Gray was a cooker but will be replaced by Mike Budai who also cooked and phased over to repping. Wayne Lohman is a contest representative, master judge and certified table captain. Linda Mullane is a contest rep. Tana Shupe is a contest rep and contest organizer. Paul Kirk is a cooker and reps rarely. Merl and Carol Whitebook are contest reps and have cooked rarely. Don Harwell is a contest rep. Steve Ownsby is a Contest Organizer, Gene Goyacachea is a cooker, a contest organizer and a Rep. Ed Roith used to cook and is a rep and is head of the CBJ instructors. Carolyn Wells is a cooker and a representative,and has organized contests and is a master judge and anything else you can possibly think of. Unfortunately, she has no votes on the Board since she is Executive Director.