Foiling/Coolering a Prime Rib Roast

fatguyputter

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What have been the results of the Brethren regarding holding a brisket?

Let me explain further.....I have a group of guests coming over for dinner/cocktails and didn't want to miss the hosting aspects that come with the party. Was wondering if foiling and coolering a Prime Rib Roast (after using the smoke/reverse sear method) would work as well as other meats, ie Pork Butt, briskie, ribs, etc.

My initial thoughts would be that it would work exactly the same. If for some reason not, what might you be compromising? Would a slightly warmed oven be better to be sure that it is served warm? I DON'T want to overcook it, and plan on searing at 120, and taking off to rest (however and wherever you suggest) at about 130 to arrive at a final cooking temp of 135. Your help, as always, would be appreciated.

Thanks

What have been the results of the Brethren regarding holding a brisket?

Let me explain further.....I have a group of guests coming over for dinner/cocktails and didn't want to miss the hosting aspects that come with the party. Was wondering if foiling and coolering a Prime Rib Roast (after using the smoke/reverse sear method) would work as well as other meats, ie Pork Butt, briskie, ribs, etc.

My initial thoughts would be that it would work exactly the same. If for some reason not, what might you be compromising? Would a slightly warmed oven be better to be sure that it is served warm? I DON'T want to overcook it, and plan on searing at 120, and taking off to rest (however and wherever you suggest) at about 130 to arrive at a final cooking temp of 135. Your help, as always, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Won't be the same.

A Prime Rib will be cooked to a much lower internal temp: you want it rare/medium rare, and you want to halt the cooking when it's done and at rest.

Brisket/butt: you want a much higher internal temp: 195-205 and you want a good bark, so the sear is unnecessary, and you want to retain the heat while it's at rest to continue its rendering.

Safe holding temp for meat is 140, just FYI. Might cause you to rethink holding a prime rib, as it would need to be 140 through and through, and maintain that temp or higher.

Thanks for the input.

Maybe I should go with an open ended question. What would you recommend I do with this scenario.

Have 5 couples coming over for a semi-casual dinner.....serving Prime rib and Crab Legs with sides. They will be arriving around 6:00-6:30pm with dinner planned at 7:30. Sides will be made and just need thrown in the oven for a few minutes. How would you go about having the Prime Rib perfect and ready to serve at that time, and at the same time not be so busy that I can't mingle with the guests. Also, keep in mind that the temperature is about 9 today. Any input appreciated.

Safe holding temp for meat is 140, just FYI. Might cause you to rethink holding a prime rib, as it would need to be 140 through and through, and maintain that temp or higher.

Ever been to a pheasant forever banquet or likewise......

You also have 4 hours in the danger zone technically

Dude, pull it at 135 internal and it will make it about 142. It will hold there for over an hour before dropping below 138-140, in a good cooler.

It will be perfect.

BTW if you roast it right, no need for sear, it will have a heavenly crust.

I hear what you're saying "officially" but when those of us that like a MR PR (say 125 to 135) and it never gets to 140, then I suppose "offiicially" that we're not food safe.

That being said, when I cook mine to 125, I like to hold them for at least an hour up to 4 so the juices can relax. I use my cambro.

Only problem with foiling a PR will be the crust will get soft/soggy just like brisket does in foil.

The man wants a 130 degree temp on his prime rib...no one should be suggesting that he take it further than that.

Fatguy, cook the loin exactly the way you like it. No one is going to die.

As far as the food safety of this goes...41-135 is actually the official food temperature "danger zone" the FDA suggests...some states require as low as 130 as a holding temp for these foods. Also keep in mind that a whole loin will not be anywhere near as critical for bacteria formation as cut steaks since it is still in one large piece. All that 120-130 meat in the center has had no chance of coming into contact with contaminated surfaces. No need to worry.

I have cooked well over 100 rib loins (whole) in my day...many more cut into steaks. I would never hold a loin in a 150 oven for more than a few minutes. If you have less than 30 minutes until serving time, then an oven at it's lowest setting might be ok. For anything more I'd just throw it into a sanitized cooler. If you put it in there straight off the pit and KEEP THE LID CLOSED, it will hold temp for hours. In cold climates I highly suggest boiling a pot of water and pouring said water into the cooler for 30-60 minutes prior to rib introduction so that it can warm up. You will not have a crispy crust when storing in a cooler, but that's ok with me.

An added benefit is that the rib will steam and sweat a bit. The cooler will have a VERY good au jus in the bottom of it when you raise the lid. I typically use this au jus just like it is as my rib is highly seasoned and this flavor is in the jus. The rib will be very moist even though you see a decent amount of liquid in the cooler.

One other reminder on food safety...this guy is cooking at home. Keep in mind that FDA and state regulations are meant for restaurants and are partly to an extreme. I never died or got sick at Grandma's house...and she kept the leftovers from lunch inside the cabinet above the stove to eat later for supper! Just remember that home cooking is a tad more 'loose' than restaurant cooking. You certainly don't want to cross contaminate anything...especially RTE items...but some of this stuff suggested for home use is a bit Nazi'ish.

Don't worry, be happy...your guests will be.

One last thing to add as an excellent example of my point on the danger zone temps.

In my current state of South Carolina, rare roast beef need only be held at 130 surface temperature.

Please read: SURFACE temperature...not internal temperature. In a retail food situation the product would have to be labeled with the time and thrown out after four hours, but the meat is safe during that time.

Best of luck to the fatguy.

The man wants a 130 degree temp on his prime rib...no one should be suggesting that he take it further than that.

Fatguy, cook the loin exactly the way you like it. No one is going to die.

As far as the food safety of this goes...41-135 is actually the official food temperature "danger zone" the FDA suggests...some states require as low as 130 as a holding temp for these foods. Also keep in mind that a whole loin will not be anywhere near as critical for bacteria formation as cut steaks since it is still in one large piece. All that 120-130 meat in the center has had no chance of coming into contact with contaminated surfaces. No need to worry.

I have cooked well over 100 rib loins (whole) in my day...many more cut into steaks. I would never hold a loin in a 150 oven for more than a few minutes. If you have less than 30 minutes until serving time, then an oven at it's lowest setting might be ok. For anything more I'd just throw it into a sanitized cooler. If you put it in there straight off the pit and KEEP THE LID CLOSED, it will hold temp for hours. In cold climates I highly suggest boiling a pot of water and pouring said water into the cooler for 30-60 minutes prior to rib introduction so that it can warm up. You will not have a crispy crust when storing in a cooler, but that's ok with me.

An added benefit is that the rib will steam and sweat a bit. The cooler will have a VERY good au jus in the bottom of it when you raise the lid. I typically use this au jus just like it is as my rib is highly seasoned and this flavor is in the jus. The rib will be very moist even though you see a decent amount of liquid in the cooler.

One other reminder on food safety...this guy is cooking at home. Keep in mind that FDA and state regulations are meant for restaurants and are partly to an extreme. I never died or got sick at Grandma's house...and she kept the leftovers from lunch inside the cabinet above the stove to eat later for supper! Just remember that home cooking is a tad more 'loose' than restaurant cooking. You certainly don't want to cross contaminate anything...especially RTE items...but some of this stuff suggested for home use is a bit Nazi'ish.

Don't worry, be happy...your guests will be.

Cook, thanks for your information. I was becoming a little bit leary, but keep coming back to the fact that many people cook their steaks to 130 and below. If eating meat at 135 and below is a health issue, then I'm a gonner for sure. I don't know that I have ever eaten a piece of beef at a higher finishing temp that that. I'm sure that some saw "the holding" part as the problem.

I don't need to hold it that long anyway, probably talking 2 hours max. And, I certainly don't want to overcook it. I am hoping that it ends up varying from 130-140 throughout the roast so that individuals can choose a piece of their liking.

I imagine for simplicity and to perhaps keep the crust a little more crisp, I may pull it from the WSM at about 120, an hour and a half before dinner and simply finish it in a very, very low oven looking to hit the 130 mark with the ends being a little past that.

FG,

This is simple: practice your timing.

You already plan on having all of your cooked dishes being hot at the same time for your guests, right?

Simply include the meat with those other dishes.

Take it to 120-125 let it rest until you are almost ready to eat and throw it in a 500 degree oven for 10 minutes. If you like it rare it will be cooked perfectly.

I'll toss my 2 cents into the discussion here...

With a large rib roast you have the advantage of mass on your side... Mass will dictate that it will take longer to cook, but it also means it will take longer to cool down too.

Similar to what others have suggested, here is what I would recommend.

You can take that roast to 120-125 and set it on a warmed cutting board (run hot tap water over it for a few min) and make a foil "tray" to catch the juices then loosely press foil over it. leaving a gap between the upper foil and the lower tray part will allow steam to escape to keep your crust but will hold enough heat to keep the meat warm. If you pull it at 120'ish, in my expirence, it will come up to about 127* in a warm kitchen over the next hour and then slowly start droping.
Keep in mind that I do my PR at about 180 for about 6+/- hours. Your max temp will vary greatly if you're roasting at 300+.
Part of the reason for that is again mass - If I cook at 180, then when the IT is at 120, there is only a temp differential of 60* from the outside of the roast to the center. That means my temp rise will be failrly low over the hour as the outside cools and the inside equalizes with the outside temp.

If you're cooking at 300, once the center hits 120, you've now theoretically got a temp differential of 180* and that extra heat is going to push toward the center for longer causing a higher IT temp rise. Maybe someone smarter than me can tell you what that higher rise will be...

The other thing you can do is as was suggested, keep it in the oven - but I would just get the oven warmed up to 170'ish and then turn it off - keep the door open for a couple of minutes when you put the roast in to allow the oven to cool down a bit. I would keep a remote temp probe in the roast to monitor the IT.

The comment made about a 500* sear in the oven at the end is great, I really like the crust this produces.

On the topic of the crust - I find there is nothing better for the crust than air drying the roast for up to 48 hours in the fridge before cooking.
Place the roast on a wire cooling rack ontop of a cookie sheet (to catch drips) and let it sit uncovered in the fridge for at least 24 hours. This allows the outside to slightly dry so that the crust can fully form. Turns out awesome!

Enjoy and have fun!! :thumb:

I'll toss my 2 cents into the discussion here...

With a large rib roast you have the advantage of mass on your side... Mass will dictate that it will take longer to cook, but it also means it will take longer to cool down too.

Similar to what others have suggested, here is what I would recommend.

You can take that roast to 120-125 and set it on a warmed cutting board (run hot tap water over it for a few min) and make a foil "tray" to catch the juices then loosely press foil over it. leaving a gap between the upper foil and the lower tray part will allow steam to escape to keep your crust but will hold enough heat to keep the meat warm. If you pull it at 120'ish, in my expirence, it will come up to about 127* in a warm kitchen over the next hour and then slowly start droping.
Keep in mind that I do my PR at about 180 for about 6+/- hours. Your max temp will vary greatly if you're roasting at 300+.
Part of the reason for that is again mass - If I cook at 180, then when the IT is at 120, there is only a temp differential of 60* from the outside of the roast to the center. That means my temp rise will be failrly low over the hour as the outside cools and the inside equalizes with the outside temp.

If you're cooking at 300, once the center hits 120, you've now theoretically got a temp differential of 180* and that extra heat is going to push toward the center for longer causing a higher IT temp rise. Maybe someone smarter than me can tell you what that higher rise will be...

The other thing you can do is as was suggested, keep it in the oven - but I would just get the oven warmed up to 170'ish and then turn it off - keep the door open for a couple of minutes when you put the roast in to allow the oven to cool down a bit. I would keep a remote temp probe in the roast to monitor the IT.

The comment made about a 500* sear in the oven at the end is great, I really like the crust this produces.

On the topic of the crust - I find there is nothing better for the crust than air drying the roast for up to 48 hours in the fridge before cooking.
Place the roast on a wire cooling rack ontop of a cookie sheet (to catch drips) and let it sit uncovered in the fridge for at least 24 hours. This allows the outside to slightly dry so that the crust can fully form. Turns out awesome!

Enjoy and have fun!! :thumb:

Thanks Knucklehead. Appreciate your insight.

Hi folks, I'm a newby here, but have had good success with rib roasts. I held mine for 2 hours at Christmas and it was perfect. Smoked at 225 to 122*, wrapped and into cooler, then into hot oven for 6 minutes to form crust - check out my blog for cooking process and pictures http://bigdudesramblings.blogspot.com/2010/12/holiday-dinner-five-christmas-dinner.html. I also cooked three others for other people and got rave reviews from all.

Back