Sterno cans for chafing dishes burn time?

yup 6 hrs.
they make a longer time ones but not worth the money.

I imagine that the 6 hrs. is for non windy conditions. Wind or fans etc. can greatly reduce that time IMHO.

Mine burn for over 5 hours, little cans seem to have almost half of the liquid in them left.
I buy mine at Sams Club.

Last edited:
Look at the Sterno. Some are 2 hours and some are 6. It will say on the package.

I never get the 6 hours as advertised. that said, the 2 hr type last about one hour.

the one I get at costco last for days.. The farkin wind keeps blowing them out and they dont burn when they're not lit. :)

I hate trying to keep the sternos with leftovers. The farking can tends to leak no matter how tight I screw the lid on.

I use the cans at Smart & Final (2 & 4 hour). Of course, they don't last that long. I have a hard time seeing the use for a 6 hour sterno.

Has anyone looked into getting the electric or propane chafers?

I use the 6 hour ones (from Sams Club) each week at our Farmers Market. I burn them for 4-5 hours and they work fine (as long as there is no wind)

I throw them away each weekend, and do not mess the little bit of left over fuel.

I am currently looking for a propane chafing table (3 bay) but have not found one yet (reasonable)

Pete

I use the cans at Smart & Final (2 & 4 hour). Of course, they don't last that long. I have a hard time seeing the use for a 6 hour sterno.

Has anyone looked into getting the electric or propane chafers?

Try wrapping foil around your chaffers works great for outdoor events

we wrap the stand with foil and only leave a small area open and we get 6 hrs in wind all good my wife now made some nice chafing dish covers in red blue and black that fit very snug to the base and drap down around the base to the table looks a bit nicer lol

Don't recall the price, but I got a great deal on a 72 pack 2-hr gels at Restaurant Depot last year.

The one's from Sam's will leak even when brand new, you just have to keep them level.

TIP: For those of you that use charcoal chimneys, try using the almost finished cans as fire starters rather than newspaper. They work well and creat a lot less smoke and mess.

Back