Maverick et-73 wireless remote smoker thermometer

musicmanryann

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Does anybody else use these in their smokers? If so, does anybody else have a problem with the fact that you can only raise the minimum cooker temperature alert level to 175? I really really wish it went to at least 200. If anyone has experienced a similar frustration, have you figured out a way to modify the device so it will alert you at a higher temp. I got these so I could get some sleep during overnight cooks, but I keep waking up afraid the cooker is sitting at 190 all night. :sad: Any help would be appreciated.

i havent messed with that in a year, but im almost positive you can set the minimum to whatever temp you desire. As far as the alarm goes, you will sleep right thru it

Just for fun set the max temp to 300° first. Then try to set the minimum temp. Can you go beyond 175° now?

mick

Yeah I have no problem sleeping through the alarm--I am a light sleeper, but when I attempt to adjust the smoker temperature setting to say 'alert me whenver the smoker falls below this temp' whenever I get to 175 it starts over at like 50 degrees. May be there is a way to override it, but i have no figured it out.

Just for fun set the max temp to 300° first. Then try to set the minimum temp. Can you go beyond 175° now?

mick

That is a grrrreeeeaaat idea! I have always set the max first then the min. I will try that this evening when I get home. Thanks!!!:-D

Yeah, you must have the maximum smoker temperature set to the default of 175. The "Note" for minimum temperature states - "Note: the unit will not allow you to set the minimum smoker temperature above the maximum smoker temperature setting."

Here are the ranges:

Low Smoker Range - 32 to 392 degrees F
High Smoker Range - 140 to 410 degrees F

Maximum Food Range - 32 to 392 degrees F

I love this unit, my only complaint is the range of the wireless. It doesn't reach to my bedroom, so I wouldn't be able to use it at night unless I slept downstairs (or moved the smoker in the bedroom, but wifey probably wouldn't like that).

Yeah, you must have the maximum smoker temperature set to the default of 175. The "Note" for minimum temperature states - "Note: the unit will not allow you to set the minimum smoker temperature above the maximum smoker temperature setting."
Yea, it took me about a week to figure that one out...

I love this unit, my only complaint is the range of the wireless. It doesn't reach to my bedroom, so I wouldn't be able to use it at night unless I slept downstairs
There is a modification you can easily make to the antenna...

(or moved the smoker in the bedroom, but wifey probably wouldn't like that).
Have you asked?!?!?!?

There is a modification you can easily make to the antenna...

What is the mod? I don't see anything in the manual and I did a quick google search of our site and can't find anything.

Edit: Did a little more googling and found this nice step by step:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=909

Out curiosity, I am going to open mine up and see if I have the wire antenna or the circuit board antenna.

Here are the ranges:

Low Smoker Range - 32 to 392 degrees F
High Smoker Range - 140 to 410 degrees F

Maximum Food Range - 32 to 392 degrees F

I love this unit, my only complaint is the range of the wireless. It doesn't reach to my bedroom, so I wouldn't be able to use it at night unless I slept downstairs (or moved the smoker in the bedroom, but wifey probably wouldn't like that).

This just made my day! Thank you!

Here's the mod link:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Incr...Q-Thermometer/

I did it over the weekend and it does help somewhat. Unfortunately, not enough to work through the Q'chen trailer walls.

So I took it a step further and purchased more copper wiring so I can twist it to the end of the copper antenna that is soldered onto the internal Maverick antenna - then I run that copper line into the trailer and I now get reception. At least it did for the test. I'll find out this weekend if it really works in a non-testing environment.

I'm befuddled that I can have my smoker right outside the trailer and the signal will not carry through the aluminum trailer walls to
where I put the remote while I sleep (max distance - 8 feet) yet the signal will carry fine in my house from my driveway to my living room which are on opposite ends of the house.

That is a grrrreeeeaaat idea! I have always set the max first then the min. I will try that this evening when I get home. Thanks!!!:-D

I think that will do it. When I try to set my minimum temp above the max temp it gets unhappy. It just has to be done in the right order. Once you set the max well above 175° it will let you set the minimum to where you want it.

mick

Interesting. The mod I found added an antenna to the receiver, while this mod adds an antenna to the transmitter. Not sure which mod I will try first.
I'm thinking of doing both....:eek:

I liked this mod even better:
et-732.jpg

Just ordered my et-73 so I can do my first ever true BBQ cook on my new UDS :biggrin:

Back