DeForest,Wi limited spots?

Coz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was talking with a friend tonite and he pointed out that on one of the comp entries 25 spots available. So I take it that they are only accepting 25 teams.I sent them an email asking what happens if 1 team they accept cant make it or some one misses 1 category.When I first decided to try comps it didnt make a difference to me if I was qualified for the AR Invitational or the Jack draw but once you qualify it kinda sucks you right in ... Any one that is going to DeForest Wi may want to email them and question this.

That's why I am going to Maine.... :rolleyes:

Don't know what it is Coz. Just that gut feeling about the contests up there this year. I hope I am wrong...

I was talking with a friend tonite and he pointed out that on one of the comp entries 25 spots available. So I take it that they are only accepting 25 teams.I sent them an email asking what happens if 1 team they accept cant make it or some one misses 1 category.When I first decided to try comps it didnt make a difference to me if I was qualified for the AR Invitational or the Jack draw but once you qualify it kinda sucks you right in ... Any one that is going to DeForest Wi may want to email them and question this.

I guess I'm just to new to know... So let me ask this hypothetical question...

If you have 25 teams that show up for a contest and two of the teams only cook ribs and chicken, is it still a qualifier?

no.

then again, the way the Jack worked last year. I meant to say yes....

no.

then again, the way the Jack worked last year. I meant to say yes....
Nice round about answer that says nothing... lol...

The reason I'm asking is that I heard of a comp that is figuring to be short competitors... they are talking about filling in with locals to cook only chicken and/or ribs to make it a qualifier...

Sooooo, based on your response, this comp would not be a valid qualifier for either the AR or Jack... Correct?

My understanding is... It for sure wouldn't be good for the Royal and it would be up to the Jack folks to decide. I know the KCBS BOD has addressed it and basically said that if a contest has 25 teams and they make an "effort" to turn int he 4 meats, then it's a good contest. I believe it was the KCBobby 2 years ago at Waucoma, where they didn't get there brisket in on time. Only 25 teams, which then made it a 24 team contest for brisket...

So I guess to say in short, I sure woulndn't think it would be good. But I also heard of stories of contests that they pooled meat so they could get 25 (entries) teams and make the contest legal.

This is what happens when you have all these different folks working on different standards. the Royal has one, the Jack has another and KCBS has a different one as well. Not that that is bad either...

Damn, I am sounding like a politician... Fence rider...

My understanding is... It for sure wouldn't be good for the Royal and it would be up to the Jack folks to decide. I know the KCBS BOD has addressed it and basically said that if a contest has 25 teams and they make an "effort" to turn int he 4 meats, then it's a good contest. I believe it was the KCBobby 2 years ago at Waucoma, where they didn't get there brisket in on time. Only 25 teams, which then made it a 24 team contest for brisket...

So I guess to say in short, I sure woulndn't think it would be good. But I also heard of stories of contests that they pooled meat so they could get 25 (entries) teams and make the contest legal.

This is what happens when you have all these different folks working on different standards. the Royal has one, the Jack has another and KCBS has a different one as well. Not that that is bad either...

Damn, I am sounding like a politician... Fence rider...

Was going to go more along the lines of a 'Fence Dancer' (please pass the mental floss....)

Thanks, I thought it sounded kind of shaddy and slightly underhanded...

I think I would rather take my chances with a comp that I knew if I won I would get the invites/chances rather than try to beg my way in on a substandard comp.

I agree Jeff. I've also been burned when they won't refund our entry fee, when they only get 20 teams and not trying to get another 25... That's why I would rather go to an established one with teams... Cause if you are able to catch lightning in a bottle and win a GC, you at least want a shot at the Jack or the Royal...

Billy, that Dubuque contest a couple of yers ago only got 24 teams. We scrambled to get chicken cooks (as they didn't have the cook all 4 category rule then), but in the end, it was only 24 teams. The Jack didn't recognize it, as it would of been Clone's 7th win for the year. He got in to the Jack anyway though...

I emailed DeForest last nite and have no reply yet.I guess we are going to do it either way as we bought an entry on EBAY .If I get an answer from the folks I will post it here.

The GAB has less teams needed to qualify but I know it's not the Jack. As Scottie says there's a million stories. I'd always like it to be a qualifier but let's face it Ft Atkinson wasn't a qualifier but you were there with me. Was it worth it even without the chance at the Jack?

Bottom line is they set the rules, you decide to go and then take your chances. Still good to win the cash isn't it?

Coz,
Sent an email to the Contest director after we talked last night. Still no reply.

MJL

I am not going to miss the chance to compete this close to home but I sure would like them to open it up to more teams so that if something happens its still a qualifier.As a first year comp last year they had 25 if I remember correct ,of course it was in June last year.Winning is always good!See ya at Fort Atkinson.

The GAB has less teams needed to qualify but I know it's not the Jack. As Scottie says there's a million stories. I'd always like it to be a qualifier but let's face it Ft Atkinson wasn't a qualifier but you were there with me. Was it worth it even without the chance at the Jack?

Bottom line is they set the rules, you decide to go and then take your chances. Still good to win the cash isn't it?

I knew that Ft. Atkinson wasn't a qualifier, but it was also our first contest so I didn't have the delusions that I do now... lol... Don't get me wrong, I think we did damn well considering the competition out there (took 2nd in chicken, 3rd in ribs, & 3rd overall), but it still was our first...

Yes, cash is good, but cash & an invite is even better...

(BTW, we are going back to Fort again this year so you better watch out this time... I'm getting that first place location this year!)

I just got a response back from Lisa at the DeForest Chamber of Commerce. I asked about the 25 number on the application and this is what she sent back.

I am glad to hear that you are interested in participating again this year. We are hoping to open the competition up to 30 participants this year. We look forward to receiving your application; please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Thank you!

Glad you got a response.As usual I didnt get one.Email from the north side of town must not go thru.

Back