Check this bad boy out!

MattCom

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Barrel1.jpg

Barrel2.jpg

I recently had to replace my Kettle. Over the summer I was experimenting with super high heat for grilling steaks and my kettle paid the price. The area where the legs clips are welded on was burned through and very warped (like the operator), The fire grate wires were about the same thickness as spaghetti. Mind you the kettle was used for 6 yrs, heavily. The lid was still good, so I wanted to put it aside for a USD build. Aside didn't last long, I searched CL and found Stainless Steel Drum for 50 bucks. :icon_cool
I went to pick it up last night and it was in perfect condition. The seller is located in Moriches, and he's got one more. The barrels originally held Tea-tree oil that was used in cosmetics, they have been rinsed, but will need a real burn out.
If any LI bros want the last one send me a PM and I'll give you the guys number.
I'll do my best to document my build.
Peace!:grin:

Good find! That Stainless may be a brute to cut. What gauge is it? Keep us posted on the progress.

Good find! That Stainless may be a brute to cut. What gauge is it? Keep us posted on the progress.

I think it is .060" (16 ga.) I have access to a metal shop here at work so I'm not too concerned about cutting it.

Use a chassis punch for holes if you have access to one. Will be hard on a Unibit. Harbor freight ones will be a waste of time on that. Do you have ability to tig weld? If so PM me.

I can't tig weld, but some of the guys here can do it very well. I'm hoping not to weld any parts on it.

One of you LIbros ought to jump on the remaining barrel.

Matt: PM me your email address and I'll send you a PowerPoint presentation of my stainless steel UDS system.

Matt:

That is NOT a open head drum, correct?

Because if it were an open head drum, there's one thing I'd do differently. That's make the open head the bottom and lift off the drum per Norcoredneck style.

My greenlee uni-bit from ebay (regular $75) bought for $22 including shipping handles the 16 ga stainless I drill. I have 2 greenlees that go from under 1/4 - over 1 1/8"

Matt:

That is NOT a open head drum, correct?

Because if it were an open head drum, there's one thing I'd do differently. That's make the open head the bottom and lift off the drum per Norcoredneck style.

nope, its not. That would be a good design.

Back