Minimal Comp Equipment

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey,

Do you think you could do a comp with two smokey mountains and a weber one touch gold charcoal grill?

Eric

Yes I believe you could.

it would be thight but you could do it.

Definitely. There was a guy out here in CA who fit all his four KCBS meats into one WSM.Also controlled the fire with a Guru. He built rack extenders to fit an extra grill, but with two WSM's plus a grill, you should be good to go.

I've seen alot of people do it. Thought about going that route myself.

Definitely.. especially if your meat quantity is minimal.

But even with 2 butts, 2 briskets 6 racks of ribs and 18 chicken pieces it can be done with good timing & coordination and maybe a rib rack.

One of the former members of our comp team, BBQ Doug, used 3 WSMs and a weber grill. He cooked KCBS in California. I'm sure you could do it.

yep, I think you could probably do it.... just practice it (with everything) ahead of time.

absolutely eric. willie & i did just that at hudson valley first year we went.

I did it with just the 2 WSMs in Cusseta GA in 2005.

WSMs.jpg

You absolutely could. We did all of our comps last year with a little Chargriller. It was very tight, but we got it done.

I did Diamond State BBQ (Dover, DE) by myself using a WSM and a large BGE. I cooked 2 butts, 1 brisket flat, 3 racks of ribs and 12 thighs. In lieu of a rib rack I laid the ribs bone side down and used the BGE grate extender on the WSM for the third rack. I did time the butts and the brisket to come off with enough time to cook the chicken.

i have been trying to think about the most streamlined way to do a whole comp because i wanted to put everything through one big green egg. we did Sayville with two wsms and one charcoal grill. we only cooked one brisket, two butts, two racks of ribs and a dozen thighs. i'm pretty sure with that amount of meat that you could do it with one wsm if you bricked everything in and out just right and used the coolers effectivly. the only problem that i can think of is if you wanted different wood on different meats. just out of curiosity, how much meat were you planning on?

phil

I always cook on 2 wsm and a kettle. 2 briskets, 2 butts, 3-6 racks ribs and 24 pieces of 13th place chicken thighs. Never had a problem. I bring my 3rd wsm as a just in case and never use it.

Phil,

I didn't have any plans on specific amounts of meat. Just wondering about how much equipment was needed for a comp.

I picked up a wsm today, btw, and I'll probably get another in a week or two.

Eric

I have 2 WSM's and am planning just those 2 at my next competition.

Back