• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Would you go to this comp? ? ?

Would you cook an event without water or electricity?

• No Way ! ! !

Votes: 44 56.4%
  • Maybe if I had room to carry water

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Sure, I would cook under those conditions.

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters

smoke-n-my-i's

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Right under the information for your name, address, etc is the fine print....

** Electricity, water, and RV Hook-up will NOT be available to participants on the festival site.

There is a $250 entry fee for the four KCBS categories, until 30 days before the event, then it goes to $300.

The link on the KCBS site does not take you to the event, so I email them. I finally got the information sometime late Saturday or Sunday.

I just sent them back an email stating that if there was no water for cleaning, lighting, don't look for us. I don't feel it is very sanitary to cook without water..... :eek:

You could carry water in and bring a generator. But I wouldn't pay $250 for the trouble.:frown:

Right under the information for your name, address, etc is the fine print....

** Electricity, water, and RV Hook-up will NOT be available to participants on the festival site.

There is a $250 entry fee for the four KCBS categories, until 30 days before the event, then it goes to $300.

The link on the KCBS site does not take you to the event, so I email them. I finally got the information sometime late Saturday or Sunday.

I just sent them back an email stating that if there was no water for cleaning, lighting, don't look for us. I don't feel it is very sanitary to cook without water..... :eek:

for $250, they better have elec. and water available somewhere on site. Most other contests in that price range do, so just look past that contest and find a better one. Survival of the fittest.

We've done a contest with no electric or water, but I would NOT do it for that price.

Exactly right Phil. I've done them like that before, but I also have 2 generators and 175 gallons of water on my RV... but it sure would make me think twice about the entry fee. Unless they had an outstanding prize fund that would make me forget.. I have a short term memory problem when they flash $$$ signs... :cool:

unless its a day only rib burn..then no

Last edited:
The big reason I was looking at this one is, that it is only about 60 miles from home....

They only show GC at $2500....

Here is a note I just got back from him.... that was a QUICK response...

[FONT=arial,geneva]Bill,

We will be changing the info. We will be providing shared electricity and
water. We will also have RV hook-ups available at a separate location - not
far from the event location.

Thanks for your note.

Stephen
[/FONT]

So, with all of that out of the way, it looks like they are back on my list . . . .
:biggrin: :eusa_clap :razz:

The big reason I was looking at this one is, that it is only about 60 miles from home....

They only show GC at $2500....

Here is a note I just got back from him.... that was a QUICK response...

[FONT=arial,geneva]Bill,

We will be changing the info. We will be providing shared electricity and
water. We will also have RV hook-ups available at a separate location - not
far from the event location.

Thanks for your note.

Stephen
[/FONT]

i dont know what your electricity requirments are, But 'shared' may mean your sharing a 15-20 amp outlet with other teams instead of getting your own 15-20.

thats ok if you and your neighbors are just running lighting, but can be a prob if you have a fridge or 2 or something else heavy on it.

and water, is it a hookup u can patch into, or are you carrying buckets?

While the original question has been solved, doesn't KCBS require water to be provided?

While the original question has been solved, doesn't KCBS require water to be provided?

Not that I can see in the 2008 rules and regulations. The only things I can find are:

4. Contestants shall provide all needed equipment, supplies
and electricity, except as arranged for in advance.
Contestants must adhere to all electrical, fire and other codes.
A fire extinguisher shall be near all cooking devices.

15. The following cleanliness and safety rules will apply:
A. No use of any tobacco products while handling meat.
B. Cleanliness of the cook, assistant cooks,
cooking device(s) and the team’s assigned cooking
space is required.
C. Shirt and shoes are required to be worn.
D. Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with
the use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of
water). Each contestant will provide a separate
container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of
utensils.

So, as long as the contestant is clean, you provide the bleach water, and you have the 3 separate washing areas, it is ok not to have water..... :eek:

I would cook in a conetst that did not provivde water and electricity.
However, using the early part of the post as a guide. For 250 i would not participate.

This is a pet peeve of mine.

IF the event is a small, unsanctioned "rib cook" or something with little or no entry fees or prize purse--we can "figure out something" to just have fun and compete that day. FUN COOK!!!!!

IF the contest is sanctioned (by any organization), charging entry fees, and offering prize money----they need to provide running water for sanitation purposes!
PVC and faucets are CHEAP and can be stored for the next time if needed.
Electricity? Different logistics there and.....I stay flexible. But, any decent event should be able to provide 15 amps or so.

I just looked hard at a contest that was offering some really FINE prize money. Turned out to be one of those "downtown festivals" with water you had to "tote" and no provision for waste water discharge.
I passed on that one!
Lots of money to promote and pay, but no concern for sanitation. :twisted:

Some teams have self-contained trailers with electric and water available. To them, all this is of no concern.
I hope to be there someday :oops:
I have actually figured out how to cook a contest with no water.
Lots of disposable pans and foil. Spray bottles of water, cleanser, bleach, etc and wipe down with lots of paper towels.
It can be done.
But, I will "pitch" all the leftover meat :evil:

But, for those of us of modest means---
I do not think that having pressure water and 15 amp power within 75-100' of each site is an unreasonable request if the event has the ability to pay sanctioning bodies, professional promoters, and marketing agencies.

RANT OVER!

TIM

north kansas city has not electric
to get water is almost impossible
the entry is not bad
they do have a new site

Yes I would do a contest with out power or water but i carry my own water and electric when needed. if not provided.

Just curious about this one if no water is available? Where does the Health Dept. regulations or inspectors come into play here?
I was at a charity Rib cook and the Health inspector was very anal about every little detail, even complaining about the hot water being too hot!
I understand its a competition and not vending to the public, but Judges deserve the same degree of sanitary conditions the public does. As well as the cooks.

Not that I can see in the 2008 rules and regulations. The only things I can find are:

4. Contestants shall provide all needed equipment, supplies
and electricity, except as arranged for in advance.
Contestants must adhere to all electrical, fire and other codes.
A fire extinguisher shall be near all cooking devices.

15. The following cleanliness and safety rules will apply:
A. No use of any tobacco products while handling meat.
B. Cleanliness of the cook, assistant cooks,
cooking device(s) and the team’s assigned cooking
space is required.
C. Shirt and shoes are required to be worn.
D. Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with
the use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of
water). Each contestant will provide a separate
container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of
utensils.

So, as long as the contestant is clean, you provide the bleach water, and you have the 3 separate washing areas, it is ok not to have water..... :eek:
Not true - I beleive that in the sanctioning packet they specify having water available. This is not a contestant rule but a sanctioning requirement. Now it doesn't have to be easy to get but it has to be within walking distance and the contestant needs to bring their own container.

Back