roast beef sandwiches

chargriller

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
[SIZE=-1]Howdy All,

I was going to smoke a
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]roast [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]tomorrow for some sandwiches.

I was thinking after cooking it and bring it back down in temp, I would set it in the fridge till the next day, then use my slicer to make slice / shave it for sandwiches.

So my questions are:
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

What should be the internal temp?

How should I marinade?

Any other tips.

Thanks
[/SIZE]

Beef

I would think 140 internal will do it med. rare thats if you like med. rare, also you can make au ju with the juice, and make a nice horseradish sauce with it and french bread, maybe saute some onions and mushrooms....going to store:-D

Juice

Put a small rack in a alumin. pan and put the beef on the rack, it'll save on alittle clean-up and you'll still get the smoke flavor...saute the onions and mushrooms in the pan or with a cast iron skillet in the smoker!

Iwouldn't take it above 125-130* Residual heat in a big hunk of meat will get you into the medium rare range no problem.

I would think 140 internal will do it med. rare thats if you like med. rare, also you can make au ju with the juice, and make a nice horseradish sauce with it and french bread, maybe saute some onions and mushrooms....going to store:-D
Ah the visuals. $hit stuck at work eating out of vending machines.

[SIZE=-1]Howdy All,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]I was going to smoke a [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]roast [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]tomorrow for some sandwiches.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]I was thinking after cooking it and bring it back down in temp, I would set it in the fridge till the next day, then use my slicer to make slice / shave it for sandwiches.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]So my questions are:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]What should be the internal temp? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]How should I marinade?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Any other tips.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Thanks[/SIZE]
So how did it turn out?

Got a roast marinating in the fridge since last night and am gonna smoke it this afternoon.

Was gonna smoke it to about 135* then cooler for an hour. After a night in the fridge I was gonna slice her up for sammies. Better yet, an open roast beef sammie with mashed taters & gravy. Great, now I'll really hungry.

So how did it turn out?

Got a roast marinating in the fridge since last night and am gonna smoke it this afternoon.

Was gonna smoke it to about 135* then cooler for an hour. After a night in the fridge I was gonna slice her up for sammies. Better yet, an open roast beef sammie with mashed taters & gravy. Great, now I'll really hungry.

Sounds about right for a sirloin / tri tip/ round roast, to me. I cook chuck roasts longer, slower, and to a higher temp to allow some of the fat to render.

All the info for slicing is "right on".

For a variation, cook a Chuck Roast (or Brisket for that matter) to 200-205 internal like a Butt for PULLED BEEF!

Great intense beef flavor and works great on sandwiches!

Just a different approach.

Happy Cooking.

TIM

I used a bottom round roast and took it to 150*. I used my ECB and it cooked a little faster than what I was expecting so I missed my earlier target of 135* (stupid warm-ideal-hot temp guage). Still, when I pulled out the temp prob, the juices were still a little bloody. Gonna leave it wrapped in a beach towel on the counter for an hour then put in the fridge and slice in the morning.

I do a lot of eye of round roasts for sandwich meat. A lot of folks I know don't like their sandwich meat as rare as they do their normal beef so I usually take it to 170* and then wrap it tight and refrigerate it overnight. I will have a slight blush in the center and lots of juice's but not enough to stain your bread red.

All the info for slicing is "right on".

For a variation, cook a Chuck Roast (or Brisket for that matter) to 200-205 internal like a Butt for PULLED BEEF!

Great intense beef flavor and works great on sandwiches!

Just a different approach.

Happy Cooking.

TIM

What TIM said, that pulled chuckie mad some great sandwiches!

It sliced up beautifully after a night in the fridge. Had good flavor but there is plenty opf room for improvement.

Over all, not too shabby for my first one done like this.

Gonna make up a gravy with the fat & jelly and serve with some mashed tatters for supper.

Of course, I'll get a little sammie for lunch when no one is looking.

Back