first comp.

chibi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well I have done it now. Entered my first comp. After alot of poking from friends and neighbors I am in the Loveland loves bbq. Just a small comp that is not KCBS sanctioned. But follows there rules. Limit of 41 teams. My team consists of me and the wife. Kids are also there. I am nervous already. thinking of when to start things when to pull. what to take. All that jazz.
I really do not have a name either. I am using Chibi-Q. But want to find another name. Any ideas are welcome.:)
Will post up and let all know how I did.
Wish me luck

Michael

Well I have done it now. Entered my first comp. After alot of poking from friends and neighbors I am in the Loveland loves bbq. Just a small comp that is not KCBS sanctioned. But follows there rules. Limit of 41 teams. My team consists of me and the wife. Kids are also there. I am nervous already. thinking of when to start things when to pull. what to take. All that jazz.
I really do not have a name either. I am using Chibi-Q. But want to find another name. Any ideas are welcome.:)
Wish me luck

Michael

Just have fun.

Just relax and learn. And most important have fun. It also helps to write down what you do and when you do it so you have notes for the next comp. Good luck

Wish me luck

Michael

Cache La Poudre Q ?????

CSUnQ????

Make sure you leave some time to relax, and have fun. I get to a contest as early as possible, I start the prep work asap after inspection (trimming / injecting / brining, etc.) that way I have a chance to walk around and meet the other cooks later. Find a time to take a nap. Saturday you will be exhausted from the cook, and the stress. As mentioned above, keep a notebook of cook times / temps.....You WILL second guess yourself (is my pork butt going to get done in time?) and the notebook will help keep you sane. There is nothing wrong with resting briskets / pork butts in a empty cooler (no ice of course) for a few hours.
Calibrate your thermometers in boiling water.

That is all I can think of right now.
Good luck, and HAVE FUN.

Just relax and ask for help. BBQers are some of the best bunch of folks you will ever meet. If you are stuck on something or want some ideas just ask anyone there. Same goes for if you have something go wrong, which is 9 out of 10 times for me, ask for help and it's there.

Alright, the hook is being set. Now you will go, you will love it on Friday night, at 4:00 am you will wander why you are doing it. You will turn in your meat, and if the bbq gods are smiling down you will win something, and then you will plan your next 5 events.

at 4:00 am you will wander why you are doing it.

What? People are still up at 4a.m.? I thought we all slept.

Seriously, try to talk to as meany teams as possible. You will make a lot of great friends. Have fun! If you have something outside of BBQ that you make well, make a bunch and feed your neighbors! It's a great way to meet folks and they will remember you.

Take lots of pics. And you can be sure that two things will happen.

1. You will take too much stuff.

2. You will forget something.

Now that you know that will happen, there is no reason to stress about it. Relax. Have fun. Don't come in last. Everything else is gravy!!

My initial advice to you is do not entertain your friends and family. It will throw off your plan....you need a plan and you need to stick to it or you will not know where you messed up....and you will mess up a bit. All part of the learning process. I just started competing this year and I learn through mistakes and experience. I have in my opinion grown beyond my initial expectations. I feel like I will be competitive in every event from here on out. You definitely need to have the attitude that you are gonna win.

If you have a solid plan, you will be able to tweak it in the upcoming events. I have gotten better with each event and having only competed in five this year, I almost captured a GC in my last endeavor. I plan to be more competitive in the future. remember that you will only be as good as the competition, so when there are big names competing, you need to set your target on them.

You will find that many folks will help you, just make sure you pick the right folks. There are plenty out there who haven't a clue. By folks, I mean fellow competitors. I was very lucky to get with some good BBQers that have shared with me as I have with them and I think as a result, we have each become better competitors.

Hopefully you will get to taste the winning turn-ins and see where you need to be in the future. I was so disappointed in my first competition that I didn't do better, that I didn't check out the winners turn-ins and that didn't allow me to progress in the following competition. I did make one final table but I was looking for more. I learned from that event, but could have learned more if I was smarter.

You definitely need to have fun though. But just stay focused and learn.

You obviously know how to cook if people want you to enter a cookoff. Now if you can learn to have fun, relax and don't stress it will all come fall into place. Just keep in mind that the more people you try to entertain the less time for all the above you will have. Good Luck

most of the BBQ crowed is great, Entered my first this year at Yardley, did better then I would have thought. Everyone is right when they say talk to every team you can, everyone is so helpfull(untill turn in time then its"SHOW TIME". dont expect ot sleep but expect to have alot of fun...

Well I have done it now. Entered my first comp. Just a small comp that is not KCBS sanctioned. But follows there rules. Limit of 41 teams.

Wishing you the best of luck! Man...if 41 teams is a small contest we got a helllllll of a long way to go for California competitions!

I did my first comp as few months ago. My biggest concern was not to come in last place in any category. While speaking to the KCBS reps at the cooks meeting, I was told it was all about the fun. It was then it clicked. It was about the fun and people you meet.

As for when to put you meat on and take it off, there is nothing wrong with coolering for a few hours before turn in.

Good Luck Brother!! I have never competed,but as the others have said....Have fun and Learn!!

Certainly for your first comp your goal needs to be to have fun. You can concentrate on being competitive down the road...

It really helped my to write out my times/plans ahead of time. Then I had something to pick up and look at to keep my head on straight. Definitely plan on having your butts and briskets done a couple of hours early. For the ribs and chicken not that long but still have them done early. As turn in times get closer it is crazy enough... You DO NOT want to be sweating whether your meat will be done in time.

Have a great time bro and best of luck.

First, what is the story behind Chibi-Q, that info could help give you a different name.

Second, as important as it is to make a packing list before the comp it is just as important to make one when loading back up after a comp. Take notes on all the things you did not use and don't bring them next time, all except things like fire extinguisher, band ads and leftover booze, never know when you mite need extra booze. This procedure will help on your next excursion. And remember if you forget something, either someone will be glad to lend it to you or in most cases there is a store close by. Other than that injoy.
Dave

Thanks to all for the great words of wisdom. That is why I love this place. Just found out that so far there is only 27 teams. which makes my odds better :) Also I cannot do armidillo eggs. So will try chix.
Michael

Good luck bro.....I',m entering my first IBCA comp. on July 20 in Odessa. I've been to a few comps but only as an on looker. I'm just in in for the fun....hope all turns out well....

Back