MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #9871
Jethro608
Full Fledged Farker

Ss u blt
Attachment 69473
Attachment 69474
Attachment 69475Attachment 69476
My 1st hinge. Slot is to raise & lower lid snugly onto barrel

Last edited by Jethro608; 12-23-2012 at 10:06 PM..
Jethro608 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #9872
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Four UDS's in action at our town's Summerfest, 200lbs of butts for PP sandwiches.. it was great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1313.jpg (47.6 KB, 694 views)
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #9873
sparky66
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
So as I understand it, you are creating an air gap under the ash tray thus decreasing the distance between the coal basket and ash tray if you are trying to maintain the 23 to 24 in distance to the grill (which should be 7 to 8 in below the lip) . Are you also raising the grill? I would think that when the ashes build up in the tray that would be sufficient insulation.
Hey Peddler,

The fire basket and the ash pan are raised. The ash pan sits up 2" above the drum with the feet and the basket is raised about 2". I have 22 1/2" between the two surfaces. I'm going to cook some food in a couple of days and try it out. I threw 5lbs of Kingsfords in there yesterday to season it and played around with the controls. I got about 5 hours out of 5 Lbs. of fuel.

Sparky
sparky66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #9874
alfredbot9000
Got Wood.

Default Length or girth

First of all I'm halfway through this thread and soaking up all the info like a sponge. Just got ally supplies for a down and dirty no frills UDS with a straight forward build based of Norcos design. It's an honor to be a part of this.

Just want to gather some opinions. I bought a sheet of 24x24 expando from HD and there are two ways to build this.

Cut it in half and use a 18in coal grate with a 13.5in diameter and have a basket that's 13.5in wide and 12 in tall (long and thin)

or

Cut it into three and use a 22.5in coal grate with a 17in diameter and have a basket that's 17in wide and 8in tall (short and fat)

The way I see it shorter may be better because it's further from the cooking grates.

So after that long winded explanation here is my question.

UDS BBQ Brethren I ask this when it comes to UDS charcoal basket what's better...... Length or Girth?

P.S Is there a diploma that comes with reading this entire thread?
alfredbot9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #9875
alfredbot9000
Got Wood.

First of all I would like to say its an honor to post in this amazing thread. I am halfway through and soaking up all the info in here like a sponge. I have all my supples and am getting ready to build my first UDS and am sticking to KISS and following the standard Norco design for some tried and true results.

I bought a sheet of 24x24 3/4" expando from HD for my no weld charcoal basket and as I see it I have 2 options:

1.) Cut it in half and use a 18in coal grate - basket thats 12in tall and has a 13.5 in diameter

or

2.) Cut it into thee pieces and use a 22.5in coal grate - basket thats 8in tall and has a 17.5in diameter

So brethren I ask you this when it comes to charcoal baskets for UDS what's better....length or girth?

I'm assuming a wider basket is better because its further from the fire, but then again I wanted to ask those who have built and have real world answers.

I would like to thank everyone that has contributed to this amazing thread so that people like myself can build something that works on the first try and not have to worth through trial and error.

P.S. Do this thread come with a diploma or some from of certificate of completion when I have finished reading it?

Last edited by alfredbot9000; 08-17-2012 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
alfredbot9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #9876
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredbot9000 View Post
First of all I would like to say its an honor to post in this amazing thread. I am halfway through and soaking up all the info in here like a sponge. I have all my supples and am getting ready to build my first UDS and am sticking to KISS and following the standard Norco design for some tried and true results.

I bought a sheet of 24x24 3/4" expando from HD for my no weld charcoal basket and as I see it I have 2 options:

1.) Cut it in half and use a 18in coal grate - basket thats 12in tall and has a 13.5 in diameter

or

2.) Cut it into thee pieces and use a 22.5in coal grate - basket thats 8in tall and has a 17.5in diameter

So brethren I ask you this when it comes to charcoal baskets for UDS what's better....length or girth?

I'm assuming a wider basket is better because its further from the fire, but then again I wanted to ask those who have built and have real world answers.

I would like to thank everyone that has contributed to this amazing thread so that people like myself can build something that works on the first try and not have to worth through trial and error.

P.S. Do this thread come with a diploma or some from of certificate of completion when I have finished reading it?
I bought (2) 24x12 sections, and made the 48 (minus a bit due to overlap) circumference basket 12" high, and have been perfectly happy with it. I used the grate from two cheap grills for the base, the basket was smaller than the grate dia but that matters not. I'd guess with overlap I must have about 15" dia ?

I have went past 12 hours easily with RO lump....and not even clear full at that, I have never used a full bag of lump yet that I recall ? And usually there is a decent amount leftover.

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #9877
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredbot9000 View Post

or

No diploma, just the satisfaction of building yourself a great smoker
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #9878
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

My basket is 15 X 10.5 ... Why??? I have no idea , it's just the way it worked out.
Peddler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #9879
sparky66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post

While you are there, make sure to check the electrician's nuts (now that could make a heck of an out of context) to see if they will go onto the pipe nipples..

Brent
LMAO!

Old 08-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #9880
sparky66

Quote:
Originally Posted by keale View Post
for a 3/4 inch nipple, ......ummmm 3/4 inch drill bit?? You gotta understand whos talking here, I'm "mechanically" disabled"!
I actually had all 4 1/2 inchers, but now I have one 3/4 inch nipple, why? cause the hole I drilled became too big after I filed it down!! I tell all my buddies its all in the design plan, and its critical to have that one 3/4 inch nipple!
Not sure if this has been answered yet, because I've only got this far on this HUGE thread. But if using 3/4" nipples which have an ID of 3/4" you need to use an 1 1/8" hole saw or unibit (step bit) for the OD. Hawaii...AWESOME! Aloha Keale.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #9881
Jethro608
Full Fledged Farker

No its like 7/8 just kinda fits kinda screws in. Ill check size
Ok its 1in that I used then I used electrician nut on nipples after burning them. Just because.

Last edited by Jethro608; 08-17-2012 at 11:27 PM..
Jethro608 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #9882
sparky66

This is a huge thread and I'm still working on it so excuse me if this has been answered so far. A lot has been mentioned about the opening and closing of the intakes but what about the exhaust on the lid? I'm using the factory 2" bung hole as my exhaust and want to know what most folks are doing as far as how much to keep that open when cooking?

Sparky

Old 08-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #9883
sparky66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro608 View Post
No its like 7/8 just kinda fits kinda screws in. Ill check size
Ok its 1in that I used then I used electrician nut on nipples after burning them. Just because.
Jethro, 1" is a tight tight fit. Best to use a step bit for the best fit. I'm an electrician and it is standard practice to use 1 1/8" hole saw to pass a 3/4" conduit through any hole but this is with a tiny bit of play. So 1" - 1 1/8" works for OD. 7/8" hole is for 1/2" conduit.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #9884
lemur
Full Fledged Farker

I think the Outside diameter with conduit and thredded nipple pipe are 2 different animals....I drilled 1" holes and my 3/4" black irion nipples threaded in perfect.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #9885
GlobalTJB
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky66 View Post
This is a huge thread and I'm still working on it so excuse me if this has been answered so far. A lot has been mentioned about the opening and closing of the intakes but what about the exhaust on the lid? I'm using the factory 2" bung hole as my exhaust and want to know what most folks are doing as far as how much to keep that open when cooking?

Sparky
Sparky, the general consensus is to leave the exhaust wide open. Leaving the exhaust as a constant means one less thing to worry about when adjusting temps. Mine has a standard weber 22.5" lid and I only close the lid when i want to kill the fire. I dont know if smoke gets stale but the exhaust wide open would help prevent "stale" smoke from staying around longer than it has to.
GlobalTJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker