MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #6286
righteousdog
On the road to being a farker

Default mary kate & ashley

in production...can i make it to roadside chicken & mom's pot salad for the 4th???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0701001936_8x6.jpg (296.6 KB, 1084 views)
righteousdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #6287
MadKirk
Knows what a fatty is.

kcchiefdav - Fill you basket up with charcoal (really doesn't matter because as others said, you can just recycle it), and try lighting just enough charcoals in the chimney to get the temp you want. Somewhere on here I read that each lit briquette is roughly 25 deg. So, for example, if you want 250 deg, light 10 briquettes. Then, put them on top of the charcoal in the basket. I've found I have better luck if I use this method.

Now, my drum just does not like temps below about 250. It won't hold them, so I cook at 250 or above, with good results. Each drum is different. You can also try starting with one open intake and the valve open, and then see if you can catch the temp on the way up with the valve and control it. You still may have some leaking somewhere if you are only using one valve partially open, and the temps keep going up.

As always, YMMV.
MadKirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #6288
kcchiefdav

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadKirk View Post
kcchiefdav - Fill you basket up with charcoal (really doesn't matter because as others said, you can just recycle it), and try lighting just enough charcoals in the chimney to get the temp you want. Somewhere on here I read that each lit briquette is roughly 25 deg. So, for example, if you want 250 deg, light 10 briquettes. Then, put them on top of the charcoal in the basket. I've found I have better luck if I use this method.

Now, my drum just does not like temps below about 250. It won't hold them, so I cook at 250 or above, with good results. Each drum is different. You can also try starting with one open intake and the valve open, and then see if you can catch the temp on the way up with the valve and control it. You still may have some leaking somewhere if you are only using one valve partially open, and the temps keep going up.

As always, YMMV.
Thanks MadKirk, I'll give less charcoal a try.
kcchiefdav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #6289
PaulG78

Quote:
Originally Posted by righteousdog View Post
in production...can i make it to roadside chicken & mom's pot salad for the 4th???
Hey neighbor, nice drums!
PaulG78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #6290
LemeLeme
Found some matches.

Default 1st UDS Q

Hey guys ... just finished my UDS a couple of weeks ago, finally breaking it in this morning. So far have a big ol butt on it since 6AM and just tossed some ribs on a half hour ago

I've attached some pron for you guys to enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smokin-q.jpg (52.8 KB, 1022 views)
File Type: jpg ribs-on-q.jpg (32.6 KB, 1016 views)
LemeLeme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #6291
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Nice drums righteous dog, I usually burn mine out before I put all of the hardware on.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #6292
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Lookin sweet all!
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #6293
Beertooth
Found some matches.

Just wanted to post a thanks to this thread. I browsed it quite a few times before building my UDS. Finally got it done & cooked on it today!

Beertooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #6294
Beertooth
Found some matches.

Just wanted to post a thanks to this thread. I browsed it quite a few times before building my UDS. Finally got it done & cooked on it today!

Beertooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #6295
JimGass
Knows what a fatty is.

UDS Build questions

I've read and read and read this thread and in the fourth of it i've been able to read in the last two weeks, I've got a couple questions that I'm sure are answered in amongst all this, somewhere.

1. What size holes do most people drill for the intakes if using ball valve and pipe nipples? i.e. if the nipple or ball valve I buy is 3/4 inch, do I drill a 3/4 inch hole, or a larger hole?

2. for the bolts which hold the grill grate up, all I saw at Home Depot were either galvanized or zinc plated. I understand these to be bad to use. Did I just not look hard enough?

I think that's all. I'm picking up at least one drum tomorrow. I have expanded metal, a 22.5 weber grate. still need nipples, caps, ball valve, nuts and bolts. will post pron of the build. THanks in advance for answering these questions which I'm sure are answered somewhere already!

Jim

Old 07-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #6296
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGass View Post
UDS Build questions

I've read and read and read this thread and in the fourth of it i've been able to read in the last two weeks, I've got a couple questions that I'm sure are answered in amongst all this, somewhere.

1. What size holes do most people drill for the intakes if using ball valve and pipe nipples? i.e. if the nipple or ball valve I buy is 3/4 inch, do I drill a 3/4 inch hole, or a larger hole?

2. for the bolts which hold the grill grate up, all I saw at Home Depot were either galvanized or zinc plated. I understand these to be bad to use. Did I just not look hard enough?

I think that's all. I'm picking up at least one drum tomorrow. I have expanded metal, a 22.5 weber grate. still need nipples, caps, ball valve, nuts and bolts. will post pron of the build. THanks in advance for answering these questions which I'm sure are answered somewhere already!

Jim
1 inch hole for 3/4 inch pipe

Home Depot has some stainless steel but not a ton, Ace has a large selection of stainless steel.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #6297
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

I just had to have a post on page 420! Bet ya can't guess what I'm gonna do now!

Old 07-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #6298
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

So excuse me in advance if this has been discussed at length ad nauseum....
(and yes I have read the thread just not up to doing it again at the minute)

Has anyone bought the 22.5" grill they have at $ General this summer? I think it's the same as at Big Lots. Does it fit better on a closed head or open? I need a lid for a closed head quick and I don't feel like hammering one out from scratch. I already have a pretty cool lid for an open head drum, but I only have one open head drum and it's almost finished.

It's only $29, I think I'll go pick one up tomorrow. I can't decide between that and another Smokey Joe to rob for parts for my mini UDS build.

Dang! I caught the BBQ bug again hard over the weekend. Good thing my gardens coming off a little bit.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #6299
JimGass
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
1 inch hole for 3/4 inch pipe

Home Depot has some stainless steel but not a ton, Ace has a large selection of stainless steel.
Thanks. Ball valve is the same I guess then, so I'll go with 3 holes of 1 inch diameter. Found a local store that specializes in fasteners, so i'll get the nuts, bolts, and washers there. Now to find a cheap weber on CL....

I'm assuming the 3/4 inch pipe and ball valve is the way most of you folks are going..

Old 07-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #6300
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

Got my intake holes drilled adn grates mounted.....scored some 1 1/4" round magnets from Menards for the draft control......friend gave me an old weber that was damaged in a storm.....I am all set.....just need to do a final power wash and a small burnout and I am all set. UDS is almost done.
smokindave74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker