MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #2461
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

TMI TMI!! lol

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #2462
Ninesixteen
Got Wood.

Ok, I have some good news!!! I was able to find an open-head drum. Before I start cutting into it I have one more question. I read that there should be 24" between the charcoal basket and the cooking grate. My question is does the 24" start between the base of the charcoal basket or at the top of the basket?

I think I might wait to tear into it until I can get the basket built.
Ninesixteen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #2463
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninesixteen View Post
Ok, I have some good news!!! I was able to find an open-head drum. Before I start cutting into it I have one more question. I read that there should be 24" between the charcoal basket and the cooking grate. My question is does the 24" start between the base of the charcoal basket or at the top of the basket?

According to the gurus your first grate should be 24" from the bottom of your charcoal basket. Then if there is a desire and room for a second grate it can be added above the first. I think most guys who have a second grate are using a Weber lid.
Good luck!
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #2464
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninesixteen View Post

You skipped the required reading, didn't you?

From bottom of basket, or 7-8" down from top, whatevers easiest!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #2465
Ninesixteen
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post

From bottom of basket, or 7-8" down from top, whatevers easiest!
LOL No, I promise. I just couldn't remember where the 24" started from that's all. Scouts honor!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #2466
MS BBQ
Got Wood.

[quote=Bbq Bubba;855740]You skipped the required reading, didn't you?

You old timers had it easy...you didn't have to weed thru 165 pages of posts...LOL ...but its all been worth it!!!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 12:46 AM   #2467
Norcoredneck

[quote=MS BBQ;856112]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post

You old timers had it easy...you didn't have to weed thru 165 pages of posts...LOL ...but its all been worth it!!!!!
Trial and error isn't always easy.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2009, 05:57 AM   #2468
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Agreed, the hard work is done.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #2469
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Just thought I would post a drawing of an idea I had for a basket lifter. The basic idea is Norcoredneck's center post. Instead of using black pipe and fittings, I decided to weld 3 pieces of bent rebar. The pieces support the flimsy ash pan slightly above the barrel bottom, with one bending vertical to be a grab bar.

jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #2470
Norcoredneck

Would deffinately work.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #2471
MS BBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post

Trial and error isn't always easy.

Your right...thanks for takin' the maiden voyage and sharing with us other drum heads.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #2472
Norcoredneck

Just expanded on someones idea, like so many have done. When people post on this thread and disagree it is not personal just some things work and some don't, and some make them work. It's all a matter of your own personal preferences and cooking style. Some have built drums and have had control issues and talk the UDS cookers down and when they are open to suggestion from those that have taken the ride they end up liking them. Fact is it is not a Spicewine, a Klose, a Cookshack it is a cooker that anyone can make for less than $150 and turn out great eats. Lot of knowledge in this thread and the drumheads offer it up and is a good read to understand the build as well as using it. Lot's of other threads on it also.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #2473
Ninesixteen
Got Wood.

First, I would like to thank everyone who has posted in this thread. Without you guys, I probably would have never built this. My drum isn't completely done yet, but it is done enough to post pics. I want to paint it again (you will see a difference in color between the actual drum and the lid) and I plan on getting a thermometer from Bubba and putting it on here (let me know if you got my last PM). Other then that, all I need to do is grease her up and get to some cookin'. I was just going to spray her (my drum) with Pam and then light her up. Is there a more preferred method, or is this good enough?

...and what kind of post would this be without the pron

Old 02-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #2474
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker

Default A couple of questions

Okay, first things first, I've read the entire thread. That being said, I still have a few questions.

1. What's the point of burning out the interior paint? I know plastic liners have to go, but I couldn't find why the paint has to go, too.

2. Is there a reason for removing the exterior paint, other than to make the UDS slightly less ugly? What would happen if you just painted over the existing paint?

3. To season the barrel, I've seen many people use PAM or Crisco. Would lard work just as well?

4. Can the seasoning be combined with the first cook? Why or why not?

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #2475
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

The interior paint will burn when cooking - burnt paint smoke is probably even less tasty than it is unhealthy.

Removing the exterior paint is mostly a byproduct of removing the interior paint. Initially there was a feeling that the exterior needed to be repainted with high temperature paint - but if you don't run w/o a lid - the outside of the barrel should not get hot enough to cause the regular paint to peal.

Seasoning will smoke a bit - might want to at least give it a chance to set before smoking with pam (that said, the lard might make for a tasty smoke...
------
All that said, I skipped most of the steps as I had a barrel that was unlined and was previously used to store coconut oil. I did do a test burn for a few hrs however to get a feel for the barrel before attempting to cook it it.
------
First full burn this weekend. Brisket came out fine. I changed to pipe nipples, added the ash pan lifter, and a smoke stack - still running cooler than I would prefer. Open valve and 1 nipple was having trouble maintaining 200. If I shook off the ash every hr or so, could maintain 205. 2 nipples open got it to 225. I think I will modify the ash pan next to get a clearer draft flow. That said, the temp issue could also be a direct result from my fuel. I used a 10lb bag of oak lump - but it had been sitting in the garage for about a year - (mostly near the dryer vent...)

On the lighter side, Sunday afternoon my neighbor came over (bbq'd Saturday night). He will be competing with his tandom axle custom Klose in Houston this weekend - I think he won 2nd last year. He asked a lot of questions about the UDS, and I think we may have another drum head in the works. (The Klose is a lot of pit for single brisket or a couple of chickens. He has a side pit on it, but was thinking the UDS might work even better for a quick BBQ).

Last edited by jcinadr; 02-23-2009 at 09:57 AM..
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker