MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
blackaudi22
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Startup - Controlling Temperature FRUSTRATING!

So far I've cooked baby backs and beer can chicken on my new Kamado. Great results, very tasty... but I'm having a little trouble with the startup.

I seem to quickly overshoot the cooking temp and then it takes FOREVER to the Temp back down to desired cooking temp. Please tell me if I have this straight in my head:

To begin:
1) Stack the fuel.
2) Open the bottom and top vents COMPLETELY.
3) Light the fuel and DO NOT close the lid until the fire goes out.
Comment: First time I did this, I closed it too soon as it would
NOT rise above 300 F. Decided the coals need to ash over first?
4) Close the lid.
5) Close the bottom vent COMPLETELY when the temp is within 100
degrees of target?
6) Be patient until temp rises the next 100 degrees and then
add hardwood lumps and meat?

I'm still not sure with the relationship between the top and bottom vent for raising or lowering the temp to dial it in. Everything I've read just states, "adjust the vents to your desired temperature".

My questions:
a) What's the best way to raise the temp FAST?
b) What's the best way to raise the temp SLOWLY and CAREFULLY?
c) What's the best way to lower the temp FAST?
d) What's the best way to lower the temp SLOWLY and CAREFULLY?

Thanks for your time and patience... I truly do appreciate it.
Steve

Last edited by blackaudi22; 08-16-2013 at 06:04 PM..
blackaudi22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

What type of fuel and what method do you use to light it?

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

BlackAudi22

I'm new here and not the most experienced but i'll give it a shot...

You should never have to get you coals raging in a Kamado type cooker unless you want a hot grill for steaks or pizza...I fire up my Kamado in one spot and soon after (5-10 min max) I close the lid and let the cooker walls heat up...when the temp gauge gets to about 175-200 I shut the vents down to 1/8 top vent and 1/8 botton vent and start to work from there...I try to keep the temp as low as possible to allow the Kamado to heat without my coals blazing...you can always add more air to get it hotter...

Remember its easier to heat it up than cool it down..

My questions:

a) What's the best way to raise the temp FAST? Leave both top and bottom vent wide open..
b) What's the best way to raise the temp SLOWLY and CAREFULLY? Open bottom vent slightly-Leave top vent as it was or vice vera...both will work.
c) What's the best way to lower the temp FAST? Not possible with a Kamado--Best way to get rid of unwanted heat is to close down the bottom vent and hold the lid slightly open..Be careful of oxygen getting inside and causing flare ups...But you can coax out unwanted heat..then just shut down both vents and pop a cold beverage of choice and wait it out...
d) What's the best way to lower the temp SLOWLY and CAREFULLY? Close down the botton vent in stages...

I stole this from another web site it may be a useful guide...but only a guide...

Last edited by MeatCandy; 08-16-2013 at 06:43 PM..
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
blackaudi22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
What type of fuel and what method do you use to light it?

Well, for now... I'm using stuff that was on the shelf where I bought the Kettle, (Big Steel Keg/Broil King Keg):
  • COWBOY brand, Hardwood Lump Charcoal
  • REDHOT Fire Starters (wax and dried hardwood sawdust)
  • Hickory Hardwood smoking chunks.
  • Lighting it with a typical 12" gas lighter.
Thanks,
Steve
blackaudi22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Crimson
Knows what a fatty is.

well first fill it up past the wholes and that little sticker light 3 places for high heat and for slow pile it in the middle.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
blackaudi22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCandy View Post
BlackAudi22

I'm new here and not the most experienced but i'll give it a shot...

You should never have to get you coals raging in a Kamado type cooker unless you want a hot grill for steaks or pizza...I fire up my Kamado in one spot and soon after (5-10 min max) I close the lid and let the cooker walls heat up...when the temp gauge gets to about 175-200 I shut the vents down to 1/8 top vent and 1/8 botton vent and start to work from there...I try to keep the temp as low as possible to allow the Kamado to heat without my coals blazing...you can always add more air to get it hotter...

Remember its easier to heat it up than cool it down..

My questions:
a) What's the best way to raise the temp FAST? Leave both top and bottom vent wide open..
b) What's the best way to raise the temp SLOWLY and CAREFULLY? Open bottom vent slightly-Leave top vent as it was or vice vera...both will work.
c) What's the best way to lower the temp FAST? Not possible with a Kamado--Best way to get rid of unwanted heat is to close down the bottom vent and hold the lid slightly open..Be careful of oxygen getting inside and causing flare ups...But you can coax out unwanted heat..then just shut down both vents and pop a cold beverage of choice and wait it out...
d) What's the best way to lower the temp SLOWLY and CAREFULLY? Close down the botton vent in stages...

I stole this from another web site it may be a useful guide...but only a guide...

BIG HELP! Thanks!

Old 08-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Your Welcome...I hope it helps...

An important thing to remember is to go slowly...limiting the air in(bottom vent) is your most effective/best control...

Then after cooker is at a nice temp(200F) you can adjust the vents to see how your cooker reacts to the changes...Start on the top(least effect on fire size)

Always keep a reference point...Mine is both vents barely open...then I adjust from there...

Good Luck...

Old 08-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
blackaudi22

Quote:
Your Welcome...I hope it helps...

An important thing to remember is to go slowly...limiting the air in(bottom vent) is your most effective/best control...

Then after cooker is at a nice temp(200F) you can adjust the vents to see how your cooker reacts to the changes...Start on the top(least effect on fire size)

Always keep a reference point...Mine is both vents barely open...then I adjust from there...

Good Luck...
But IF you're getting ready to do ribs at say 225. How do YOU start things off? If you light the fuel and let the flames go out before adding the smoking chucks of wood, the meat then close the lid... at what point do you shut things down so the temp stays at 225? My keg hits 300 in a matter of seconds.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Start your coals in one spot...if your using starters wait until a small area of coals are lit...then close the lid..the coals wont go out if you open the bottom vent...
I use a torch and just hold it in one spot for a min or 2 then its on...

Old 08-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Your cooker sounds very efficient so...you only need a small amount of coals burning to do the job...

Old 08-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
blackaudi22

Quote:
Start your coals in one spot...if your using starters wait until a small area of coals are lit...then close the lid..the coals wont go out if you open the bottom vent...
I use a torch and just hold it in one spot for a min or 2 then its on...
So you close the lid before the coals are ashed over? Then use a torch through the bottom vent?
Thanks,
Steve

Old 08-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

As other have said, start with a very small fire. I open my lower about half way, and the top has the daisy wheel open, and I start with one small area of lit coals (I use a Looflighter, but starter cubes work well also) and then I close the cooker with the deflector an everything in place. I use a good amount of unlit lump mixed with 3-4 chunks of wood. Then I watch the temp. I start to shut down the dampers when the cooker is within 100* of my cooking temperature. So for example, if I'm cooking at 225*, I start to shut it down at 125*. I only leave a little of the bottom open and the daisy wheels open. Once I'm within 50*, I close the bottom to just barely open and leave the daisy wheel open. I wait for the smoke to go thin blue, then usually it's at the temp I want. If it is not, then only very small adjustments to the dampers are required to either bring the temp up, or down.

Edit: Yes, I close it before the coals are ashed over. With lump it is okay.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
blackaudi22

Quote:
Your cooker sounds very efficient so...you only need a small amount of coals burning to do the job...
Next time I do ribs though I'm planning to go 4 hours... don't want them to burn out... easing up on the amount of coals sounds logical though. Last night I did ribeyes and very large chunks of charcoal. They were difficult to deal with. Does anyone ever try to break the big chunks down?

Old 08-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

So you close the lid before the coals are ashed over? Then use a torch through the bottom vent? No.

You only need a couple of coals lit... forget the 'ash over'...that is for direct grilling hamburgers and dogs on the weber...

Try a few test burns to practice...

You can use a foil pan with water to act as meat...

Use one hand full of your charcoal...start a cube under 2-3 pieces of charcoal...after a couple of minutes...close the lid with both vents set at 1/2..the cooker will start to draft...then shut down the vents to just a sliver and check the temps..
try to hold it there...

Old 08-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
blackaudi22

Quote:
So you close the lid before the coals are ashed over? Then use a torch through the bottom vent? No.

You only need a couple of coals lit... forget the 'ash over'...that is for direct grilling hamburgers and dogs on the weber...

Try a few test burns to practice...

You can use a foil pan with water to act as meat...

Use one hand full of your charcoal...start a cube under 2-3 pieces of charcoal...after a couple of minutes...close the lid with both vents set at 1/2..the cooker will start to draft...then shut down the vents to just a sliver and check the temps..
try to hold it there...
Great idea... dry run practice with the low temperature. I want to simulate a REAL cook though... will one handful of charcoal last for a 4 hour rib cook? Does anyone ever pull the meat and griddle and add more fuel during the cook? I'd rather not disturb those baby's. ;-)