MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Cattle Call !!!

Notices

Cattle Call !!! Introducing... The Brethren.. Put your Bios here, a mug shot, a picture of your toys..Tell us who u are. Threads will lock down after 7-10 days to avoid post pumps on old introductions. Please avoid responding after thread is over a week old. DO NOT PITCH ANY PRODUCTS IN THIS FORUM, OR TRY TO VEIL A PITCH AS AN INTRODUCTION. IF YOUR SELLING IT, DON'T MENTION IT.

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Default Can you guys stand another Long Islander?

Posted in one of the other forums and willkat98, immediately told me to stop by here and introduce myself.

I know that you guys like to burn wood, and I do too, but in its gaseous state. I have seen on these boards here that pine is not good because of the pitch, but I have had success though with the local Pane trees. It should be professionally cut though, and the local garden place here distills a gas from it and sells that to me. I used to go in and ask for some of that professionally cut pane tree distillate in its gaseous form, but the sales guy since has told me to save time and just ask for some Pro-Pane.

But seriously, the closest I’ve gotten so far to smoking, is when my wife cooks and sets off the smoke detector. (Really!)

OK, really, I have been grilling with gas. Stopped by the Grill Kings this year, and noticed a few of you but figured turn-in was coming soon and didn’t want to bother you. Hung out with Willy B. (RBSNWNGS) and his ribs were incredible. (He’s a good soccer coach too.) My son said, and I quote, “these are better than Ground Round’s.” Quite a compliment from a teenager! If any of you guys had his clams on Sunday you know how good those were too.

Too many things going on to get into smoking right now, but am planning a smoker request for my Bday next spring.

I do subscribe to the slow and low process already though. I may have some of the best non-smoked, gas grilled, ribs around. I like to get them into the oven early in the morning, immersed in a heavily modified sauce, at about 190-200 and let them go until I am ready to finish them off on the grill in the evening.

Not the quite the same taste as smoking, but it is a method that fits into my schedule and other time demands right now.

Hope to see you guys around, and will probably stop by the competition at Highland/New Paltz later in the month. Going to be on vacation 20 minutes away.

Currently situated in the Islip/Long Island/NY area (and have been for the last 40 years).

Oh, and the name, timzcardz, comes from somewhere else, because I collect and like to "play" with my baseball cards, although some of them are way too expensive to "play" with.

Old 08-02-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
BrooklynQ
Banned

Default RE: Can you guys stand another Long Islander?

Welcome to another Long Islander. I grew up out by you. Where'd you go to High School?
Old 08-02-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Went to Islip High, Class of '76.

My older son is going there now. It's not the same as when I went there. Come to think of it, not much of anything is the same 30 years later!
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
Old 08-02-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
BrooklynQ
Banned

Went to SJB - class of 80
Old 08-02-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Welcome my new NYFo brother

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Old 08-02-2005, 06:26 PM   #6
chad

Welcome to the neighborhood.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:35 PM   #7
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Welcome to another NYFo. Don't worry, there is nothing wrong with gass grilling. I do it for everyday cooking, but NOTHING beats ribs that have gone through the 3-2-1 process. You can get some smoke into your food on your gas grill. Make a smoke box out of a disposable aluminum pan and foil. It works made some great chicken the other day.

In any case, grab a seat, the cold ones are on the bottom of the cooler, dig in.

WELCOME BRO!!!

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:25 PM   #8
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Welcome!!!... Mecca for The Brethren is right down the road from ya in Smithtown. Looks like the NY chapter has passed up the SoCal folks... Welcome againn... grab a cold one. :)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
Old 08-02-2005, 09:38 PM   #9
Arlin_MacRae

Dang there are a lot of yous guys!
Welcome, bruddah!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Old 08-02-2005, 10:02 PM   #10
BrooklynQ
Banned

Default Re: RE: Can you guys stand another Long Islander?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
We're like roaches!
Old 08-02-2005, 11:20 PM   #11
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Default RE: Re: RE: Can you guys stand another Long Islander?

Welcome!
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
Old 08-03-2005, 03:30 AM   #12
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Welcome aboard Tim, enjoy what you learn and share what you know.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:42 AM   #13
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Default Re: RE: Can you guys stand another Long Islander?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
We're like roaches!

That's right!

Welcome

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:11 AM   #14
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Welcome

Kevin
Old 08-03-2005, 06:30 AM   #15
parrothead

Welcome!

American Picker Blog
Closed Thread