MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #46
Gene01
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddahavit View Post
I'll bite, I received the email, and i really don't think i know you from Adam, its possible i do? since your so willing to use information you collected perhaps we can discuss where you got my information? I happen to use a different email for bbq and it was sent to my main address, personally im curious where it came from. Do you have a list of comps you are associated with on the east coast?

On a side note I hope everyone can see this stuff backfires, If i knew you and i was interested i would know you needed my vote, if you have to tell me that means it was spam, and i would vote againt you just for principal.
Just as an FYI, one of the reasons that I sent out so many e-mails even to people that I think might already vote for me is to get more members out to vote and not just for myself, we have a process that is easy to use and is under utilized, I would like to see a larger turn out even if it hurts my overall success in the election.c
Gene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 01-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #47
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

I would hope that something could be done about this. When I give my information to a contest organizer, that information is to be used for contest related correspondence ONLY. It is not to be sold or given to a "friend" for any reason.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #48
Smokedelic
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
...Sending junk in eMail wastes my time and is free.

You asked....

dmp
I'm guessing you've wasted a heck of a lot more time here griping about an email you didn't even receive than it would have taken to delete it....had you even received it.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #49
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Like anything else. Show your feelings with your vote.

I know I did.

There was one candidate I got an email from. Due to the fact it came to an email addy that is only used for KCBS contact and events, I know KCBS was somehow involved.

I also know that in any election I vote for who I perceive to have the best chance of meeting the expectations I have for that position.

My expectation is that the KCBS board stop acting doing stupid chit (like allow emails to be farmed by candidates).
Old 01-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #50
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #51
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene01 View Post
Just looked it up, it is Seaside heights NJ, I still rep that contest, it was myself and Murray Saltzman that repped one year that you were there and with Preston and myself the next.....looked it up on the results page of KCBS you were there 2 of the years that I was the rep.
but then how did it go to his main addy and not the one he uses for BBQ?

i would imagine if he was competing he would've used his bbq email.

again, for anyone discounting this, it's not the EMAIL itself, it's the principle.

what else is being shared??? can we talk SSN's that so many are now asking for?????

as a rep, i'd imagine you're also a judge. and as such know to win competitions you must offend the least amount of judges. but alas....

i think in this election(competition), with that tactic, you have offended a good number of judges(voters).

personally, i'd apologize for the indiscretion, and not defend it.

just my 2 cents which are prolly only worth 1.

best of luck bro! honestly.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #52
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokedelic View Post
I'm guessing you've wasted a heck of a lot more time here griping about an email you didn't even receive than it would have taken to delete it....had you even received it.
And there it is. What BBQ Brethren Competition Forum thread would be complete without a snide comment berading others for having an opinion, much less values (privacy). Oh wait, there's an emoticon too. You told me!

I had to scold an 18 year old punk at the fire department for making rude comments just because he's hateful last night. I told him adults don't act that way...I forgot about the Brethren.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #53
MilitantSquatter

Mod Request: Easy guys.. no personal attacks
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #54
Jeff_in_KC

Man, I guess I must be de-sensitized on spam. I rarely see it because I have a spam filter on my Outlook. I am still defending Gene's right to try to get his message to the masses. Just because he sends you an email doesn't mean he's invaded your privacy. What does he know about you? HE isn't now in your home or seeing your computer. And he's not harassing you or sending threatening or obscene emails. He simply sent messages out asking KCBS members to consider him as he wants to work for YOU for another three years. I have not sent these emails this time, mainly because my list is on an old computer which I'm not using any longer and I didn't feel like trying to fire it up and retrieve them. Guess I'll just keep outta this conversation as you know what I think about it. No sense in beating the dead horse. Maybe others will follow the lead! LOL!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:22 AM   #55
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

I have less of a problem with junk e-mail than I do with junk snail mail. All the junk e-mail has is my e-mail address, junk snail mail has my home address. Plus as many has pointed out I can control the junk e-mail with a filter, I cant filter junk snail mail...

I can buy every member of the Brethren's e-mail and mailing address today from a mailing house, if I wanted to spend the money. It is much easier than you think... And by the way, sending one un-solicited e-mail is not Spam, it is repeatedly sending e-mail after you have asked to be stop...
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #56
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene01 View Post
Just looked it up, it is Seaside heights NJ, I still rep that contest, it was myself and Murray Saltzman that repped one year that you were there and with Preston and myself the next.....looked it up on the results page of KCBS you were there 2 of the years that I was the rep.

Ok, Thank you, I still do not remember using that email, but its possible.
I was there only 1 year, and now I have another reason to not go back.

This is really using my information for personal reasons, when i contact a contest its about the contest, i am sure all this is lost on some, as it not a big deal to them, and its over.

I do appreciate you checking where you got my info.

Eric
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #57
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermike72 View Post
Plus as many has pointed out I can control the junk e-mail with a filter, I cant filter junk snail mail...
In case you didn't know, you can contact each of the three major credit reporting agencies and ask to have your name white washed from their junk mail list. It can cut down on new credit card offers and the like signifigantly. It won't help everything, like one practice of car dealers selling your information to insurance companies, but it's a start.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #58
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

For thoes that have problems finding the "delete" button, you might want to visit your google page and check out the profile that they have on you in which they select the ads that appear on your seach pages as well as gmail account. From age to gender to likes and dislikes. All of the search engins have this and this is truly an invasion of privacy, not what Gene has done. Ask the folks in the primary states how much unsolicited junk they have gotten from all of the canidates.

Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #59
Arlin_MacRae

I didn't get the e-mail message, but my wife did. Since we do everything BBQ together I was curious about the strange omission, but only that - curious. I get a ton of spam and I don't like the crap. If I had gotten Gene's message I wouldn't have considered it spam. That's just my feeling on the subject. I think a mountain has been made out of a mole hill here, but the discussion has raised our awareness levels somewhat. Now for the green bit:

Respect each others' opinions. The other guy's is no better or worse than yours. Remember, opinions are like BBQ pits - we all have one. At least one.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #60
Jorge

When I chose to run for the board I made a decision, that I would not engage in debates about individuals or personalities. I wanted to stick to issues and the actions of the board, and more importantly what I feel benefit KCBS and the membership in the coming years.

I guess I'll deviate from that slightly. When this issue first came up on another forum I was clear when I publicly said that I had no reason to believe that Gene had obtained the email list from KCBS, or that he had an unfair advantage being a serving member of the board. I still believe that and stand by that statement.

As a candidate, I received an email list that was unsolicited. I chose not to use it, because I didn't feel comfortable doing so. I've made my message available via a web site, on various forums where I was given an introduction by existing members, and via email to people I had an existing relationship with. That was my choice.

Gene made a different choice, that some have taken exception to as is their right. I don't think he intentionally did anything unethical. I don't think he was trying to tilt the playing field in his favor, and I'm not going to point any fingers. At worst he made a mistake, and and best did nothing intentionally wrong.

If you don't want to receive email from him in the future, it's your right to let him know. If you want to let others know that you've gotten email that you didn't appreciate, that's your right too. I think it's a stretch for anyone to draw conclusions as to his motivation and intent. As a candidate it would be easy for me to jump on the bandwagon and call for him to be tarred and feathered. I can't do that. At worst he made a mistake in my opinion. A mistake does not merit a public flogging.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote