MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #31
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Picked up a DT Smokey Joe today for $10 off CL. It's missing the ash catcher, but I'll find a little pie pan or something to replace it.

This one will become my first Smoker Jose.

If it goes well, I hope to build one for each of the boys for Christmas.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #32
Boshizzle

That sounds like a great gift! It's fun to build, fun to cook on, fun to eat the Q that is cooked on it and I bet it's a fun gift. Your boys will love them, I'm sure.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #33
azken
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all the info and especially taking time for the pron. I got a SJ/Pot this weekend and ordered a 732 and an extra cooking grate tonight. Can't wait to get it together and fired up.
azken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #34
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for documenting your process and I have to say your Q from it looks amazing especially the ribs. I prefer em without the glaze too

This thread and the others posted recently inspired me to make for myself one with my old SJ. I had the wife stop by Wallys and grab me a pot and I ordered up a thermo from Bob @ KCK...which amazingly came in just 2 days from KC to CA. I am working more on it tonight and hope to get a fire in it by the weekend.
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #35
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

Havent built mine just yet love looking at everyones builds, give me great ideas. I thought about the idea of a double stacker also, let us know if you do, my concern would be getting the top pot stable on it.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #36
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB-BBQ View Post
Thanks for documenting your process and I have to say your Q from it looks amazing especially the ribs. I prefer em without the glaze too

This thread and the others posted recently inspired me to make for myself one with my old SJ. I had the wife stop by Wallys and grab me a pot and I ordered up a thermo from Bob @ KCK...which amazingly came in just 2 days from KC to CA. I am working more on it tonight and hope to get a fire in it by the weekend.
Sounds like fun, bro. Post some pics!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #37
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmehlhorn View Post
Havent built mine just yet love looking at everyones builds, give me great ideas. I thought about the idea of a double stacker also, let us know if you do, my concern would be getting the top pot stable on it.
Yeah, not sure about the double stack but I think I could make it work.

It may not be needed. I cooked a butt and a rack of ribs Sunday without a hitch. I could have gotten another rack of ribs in it and may have been able to get three racks in if I wrapped each rack together like a crown.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #38
Boshizzle

BTW - As a testament to how well the mini-WSM did, my family and I ate about 3 pulled pork sandwiches from the butt and I was the only one who ate ribs and I ate 4 bones. I took the rest of the meat into work. As I was packing it up I thought "Man, this is a lot of meat. There is NO WAY it will all be eaten and I will have to bring some home." So, I hesitated to take all of it. But, I did. In less than 1.5 hours every bit of it was gone!

So, am I happy with my mini-WSM? Heck yeah!

Old 09-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #39
ccourt9283
Got Wood.

I made a Smokey Joe Gold/Tamale smoker a couple of weeks ago, its great. My first cook was 2 pork butts about 8 pounds each. About a 12 hr cook and had to add charcoal at the 10 hr mark. Today I'm smoking a chuck roast for chili. I hope this pic works.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1316380676
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0154.jpg (97.2 KB, 791 views)
ccourt9283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #40
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

This is pure genius. I actually say the smokey joes on sale at Target today for 40% off. I think I will have to head back over tomorrow and pick one up after work. Thanks for sharing the info, this is great.
cmohr74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #41
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

Default Awesome idea

I saw this last night as I was playing around and thought it was the greatest idea. I remember over the weekend that Target had Smokey Joes on year end clearance. I headed on over today and just my luck, both the Smokey Joe & the Tamale pot were on sale. I will be started on this tomorrow. Thanks for the fun project.
cmohr74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #42
zacman
On the road to being a farker

I got a Smokey Joe silver at target for $15 bucks, then 1 week later they were 75% off so got another for $7.50 not that i need 2 but I couldn't pass up the deal. Probably build someone a mini with it they are so much fun.
[FONT=Calibri][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116286"][COLOR=#0000ff][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Web Flamed UDS[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] , [/FONT]Bar B Chef offset modded, 22.5" Weber w/ [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Rotisserie[/FONT][/COLOR], SJS,
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2178456#post2178456"]SJG Baby Bullet[/URL], [COLOR="SeaGreen"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Medium BGE[/COLOR][/COLOR], 84' Broilmaster restored, Super Fast [COLOR=red]RE[/COLOR][COLOR=red]D[/COLOR] ThermaPen
A Wife who runs a Butcher Block :becky:
zacman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #43
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

I decided this would be my weekend project. A quick question.

Did your SJ lid fit perfectly on the 32quart tamale pot?

Mine does not fit it seems the SJ lid is just a bit too small.

I could take some pliers to it but that cracks the enamel.

Thought?
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #44
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
I decided this would be my weekend project. A quick question.

Did your SJ lid fit perfectly on the 32quart tamale pot?

Mine does not fit it seems the SJ lid is just a bit too small.

I could take some pliers to it but that cracks the enamel.

Thought?
Sorry to hear that. Mine fit perfectly. Instead of modding the lid what about just filing down the edges of the pot?

Old 10-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #45
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Sons of B#*ches! I had this same issue when building my UDS. Seems different regions are different diameters.

I'll play around with it and post up some pictures of the build once I make a decision.

GRRRRRR
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mini WSM, Mini-WSM, Smoker Joe, Smokey Joe